Chapala.com Webboard

Tony's Take Out... next to the Deli 8

Ferret

I'm a regular customer there every Saturday and think that they have a wonderful set up. I always bought a roast chicken, coleslaw, potato salad and green salad. Never had to cook until Monday.

They have changed the recipe for the coleslaw and also the potato salad. Sorry but I liked them the way they were and don't care for the "new" style so I no longer buy them. 

Are there any others out there who would like to see them go back to the old recipes? Majority rules of course. Just wondering.

The coleslaw has pineapple and raisins added to it. Normally I would like this but it's too sweet... almost like the pineapple was in syrup but not rinsed.

The potato salad has some kind of unidentifiable spice added to it, the strength of which seems to vary from week to week.

The ribs and tiras de pechuga? I'm not noticing any difference in those.

I can make my own potato salad and coleslaw but that kinda defeats the purpose of a no-cook weekend.

Sorry, just havin' a major whine here and was really enjoying my rut.

29 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Sorry, just havin' a major whine here and was really enjoying my rut.

Maggie, I think you mean't to write "rant". Rut is something entirely different!

The rut, derived from the Latin rugire meaning to roar, is the mating season of mammals which includes ruminant animals such as deer, sheep, camels, goats, pronghorns, bison, giraffes and antelopes but extends to others such as skunks and elephants. The rut is characterized in males by an increase in testosterone, exaggerated sexual dimorphisms and increased aggression and interest in females[1]. The males of the species may mark themselves with mud, undergo physiological changes or perform characteristic displays in order to make themselves more visually appealing to the females[1][2]. Males also use olfaction to entice females to mate using secretions from glands and soaking in their own urine[3][1][4].

During the rut (known as the rutting period and in domestic sheep management as tupping), males often rub their antlers or horns on trees or shrubs, fight with each other, wallow in mud or dust, self-anoint and herd estrus females together. These displays make the male conspicuous and aids in mate selection.

The rut in many species is triggered by shorter daylengths. For different species, the timing of the rut depends on the length of the gestation period (pregnancy), usually occurring so the young are born in the spring. This is shortly after new green growth has appeared thereby providing food for the females, allowing them to provide milk for the young, and when the temperatures are warm enough to reduce the risk of young becoming hypothermic.

No, I agree: I bought the coleslaw a few days ago and had to mine out a tonne of oversized raisins... and then started discovering pineapple bits, too. I liked it the "normal" way.

I found no difference in the tiras de pechuga, though.

As for the ribs, I haven't been able to stomach those for years now: they cook the chicken on rotisseries, and the fat drips down onto the ribs cooking on the bottom. Keeps them juicy, yes, but also adds a very weird, fatty, overpowering taste for me.

No Chillin'... I was enjoying my nice, consistent rut every weekend... and not that kind of rut either ;). I'm not ranting exactly about the changes... just disappointed. Here's another dictionary source... https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/rut

Incidentally, the girls who are serving are reporting that many don't like the changes but that Abram won't listen. That's one of the reasons for asking here. IF, I was going to change something, I would have given regular customers a small sampling and asked for their opinion. I doubt that KFC has ever changed their coleslaw recipe in 40 years... you just don't mess with something that works and sells well. :(

Feelings about pineapple additions are different here.  Pizza with pineapple seems to be popular.  I consider it an offense to the dish. On the other hand, I wish they'd put it in carrot cake like NOB.  I sure can't see adding it to coleslaw.  Haven't been back to Tony's lately, but liked it before.  I think I'll pass on the new version.

El Pechugon puts pineapple but not raisins in their coleslaw and we like it. Raisins would be a put off. I don't think theirs is from a can as it is not overly sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so very happy to report that both the coleslaw and potato salad are pretty much back to being their tasty originals. Both are now savory as opposed to sweet. Raisins are gone from the coleslaw but teeny bits of pineapple are still there. Delish! The potato salad has tiny chopped bits of parsley and is also delish! So I'm now back to ordering all three salads along with my roast chicken. If anyone else voiced their opinions when they were in there... THANK YOU!

Last Saturday, they had both kinds of coleslaw but the potato salad was still the same. Today, they only had only the original coleslaw and the young lady serving got a plastic spoon and gave me a taste of the potato salad from a small container (which I also bought). Even though the potato salad "looked" like the one I didn't like, this was the real deal and that's why she insisted I try it. She said a lot of people are happy with the change back.

Archived