Chapala.com Webboard

What is The Chapala Reporter?

johanson

I think most all of us know what the Guadalajara Reporter is. It is a weekly Newspaper that one can buy at your favorite store or subscribe to on line. It varies in length of from 28 to normally 32 and sometimes 36 pages per issue and the weekly cost is 20 pesos. I used to write there and I buy a copy every week when living lakeside which I do maybe 9 months of the year. On can subscribe online for $30 US per year or 6 months for $18, down to one month for $4 US

Several years ago Lisa Jorgenson (I believe that is her name) started publishing the on line only Chapala Reporter. I have never been able to ever see a copy thereof.  Apparently the only way to see a copy thereof is to subscribe to an annual subscription of $45 dollars. And at the end of the year she has specials for the following year of about $35 to $40 dollars for the whole year.

The webpage advertising the Chapala Reporter looks quite nice.  Can someone tell me about this online newspaper? Does it come out once per week? Or did I understand an updated copy comes out every time there is a good news story.

I would love to hear what the Chapala Reporter is like. Thanks in advance for your advice. Is it really worth $45 per year on line when the online Guadalajara Reporter only costs $30.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me

13 minutes ago, Xena said:

It most certainly is not worth the subscription price. It is published when Lisa isn’t busy with another one of her seemingly endless income generating ventures and/or she sniffs some juicy story she can twist to suit her. 

Thanks, Xena,

Glad to know that I'm not missing out on anything. :)

She had some good articles for a while. I remember the ones about Lake City, where she actually visited the developer's office, and stories about the all real-estate brokers being fined. But 8 months or so into a 12 month subscription, she decided she would no longer write new articles and no refunds were offered. Now I hear she has resumed after her hiatus, but she will not be getting me as a subscriber again.

Pete

1 hour ago, Travis said:

I've only been here ten years, but in that time I don't think I've seen anyone earn a bigger reputation faster.

small village, big hell    ;)

And I wanted to try out the Chapala Reporter for a week or two. Now I understand better why she said they had year end specials but all for 12 months. And the year end special I say was one year for $35 US dollars.  The standard Guadalajara Reporter annual rate is less than that; it's $30 US and includes weekly publications.

People were polite here. You should see the private communications I received. She has quite the reputation.

Thank you all so much for your feedback.

I think you can get on the LakeChapala Reporter email list which sends out the abbreviated version - non subscription - so you can see a small portion of the articles and decide for yourself.  She is known for completely mis-reporting the Lake City scam which she herself fell for.  As well as other things...

The Guadalajara Reporter is a much better deal with bilingual, bicultural reporters who can get the real scoop on what is happening in El Mundo Mexicano, not the gringo bubble version.

https://lakechapalareporter.com/

lisa is incredibly skillful at promoting whatever is her current project and at clever,  well written self-promotion.   with her return to publishing her website chapala reporter, it is exactly like it was first time 'round: very smart, attention getting headlines on topics of interest to lakesiders, but with superficial articles based on press releases or pieces based on her interviews which have little substance. i marvel at her tenacity.

the guad reporter remains our best bet for getting facts that are useful to us.

please excuse my archie the cockroach lower case style; for a while i have to type with one finger. i broke my wrist.

lexy

9 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

So where is she now, is the "paper" still being "published"?

Yes, the "paper" is still being published, although not at any set time, just when she feels like it.  I'm still waiting to find out what happened to her supposed "tell-all" book that was going to expose the corruption and misdeeds around Lakeside.  She even promised to name names!  Not a good idea, because you may suddenly 'disappear', never to be seen again!

9 hours ago, jojana said:

It almost sounds like you are talking about this web board.

This web board specializes in sharing information. The controversy is a natural byproduct of humans offering information and opinions. The snarkiness is just a bonus. At least this board is monitored and people reined in when they go too far. Oh, and it’s free. No one is pretending to be a “journalist” while peddling half truth and innuendo and charging money for “subscriptions.” Also, it is here all the time and not just when the “publisher” is bored or needs money.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just got another very well done email  and linked webpages from Lisa Jorgenson posting about all of the interesting stories posted on the on line only Chapala Reporter  and why I should subscribe. And again for only $45 dollars a full years subscription. Remember the on line Guadalajara Reporter is only $30 for a year.

The last time I saw Lisa, I asked her if I could try out her Chapala Reporter for a shorter period, like a month, like the Guadalajara Reporter does if you want to subscribe on line . She just smiled said nothing and kept on walking past me.

If it weren't for all of the guidance I received here, I would have sent that $45 US in. Because the advertising material I just received was very well done.

Again, thank you all for your input.

Archived