Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Citizenship

AngusMactavish

I am contemplating an application for citizenship. I know the advantages, but wish to also find out what the downside is to being a dual citizen. Does anyone have any reasons why one might not want to do it?

The reason I ask in this forum and not in the Customs and Immigration one is that the process does not involve the INM or Aduana.

The only negative I've heard is that if you have a Mexican passport you will be treated as a Mexican citizen with respect to the legal system here.  The US Embassy will not assist you in any way under these circumstances (whereas they will if you only have  US passport).  How true this is...and how much 'assistance' one gets from the US Embassy, I do not know.  I have had 2 friends (US citizens) who did benefit from assistance by the US Embassy in 2 other countries (not MX).  

Interesting reading at Yucalandia site:

https://yucalandia.com/2016/11/29/new-rules-for-naturalized-mexican-citizens-with-us-passport-renewals/

33 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

The only negative I've heard is that if you have a Mexican passport you will be treated as a Mexican citizen with respect to the legal system here.  The US Embassy will not assist you in any way under these circumstances (whereas they will if you only have  US passport).  How true this is...and how much 'assistance' one gets from the US Embassy, I do not know.  I have had 2 friends (US citizens) who did benefit from assistance by the US Embassy in 2 other countries (not MX).  

Interesting reading at Yucalandia site:

https://yucalandia.com/2016/11/29/new-rules-for-naturalized-mexican-citizens-with-us-passport-renewals/

Why would the US Embassy not help you, it would be a dual citizen and you have both passports and are a US citizen?

2 hours ago, hensley said:

Why would the US Embassy not help you, it would be a dual citizen and you have both passports and are a US citizen?

What I was told (and as I said before I do not know the veracity, but have heard from a few people), is that if you have dual citizenship and ENTER Mexico using your MXN passport, the US government will consider you a MXN citizen and will not (cannot??) intercede for you.  If you enter with your US passport you are a US citizen abroad with either a tourist or other visa from MX).  

I found this link to State.gov https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

From that link:  

Dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries, and either country has the right to enforce its laws. It is important to note the problems attendant to dual nationality. Claims of other countries upon U.S. dual-nationals often place them in situations where their obligations to one country are in conflict with the laws of the other. In addition, their dual nationality may hamper efforts of the U.S. Government to provide consular protection to them when they are abroad, especially when they are in the country of their second nationality.

On 1/10/2018 at 11:50 AM, hensley said:

Since 1993, the US State Department has had a strict policy of denying help to US citizens in Mexico who carry Mexican passports.

When US born citizens get Mexican Citizenship, the Mexican government officials emphasize over & over that as naturalized Mexican citizens, the applicant is treated solely as a Mexican,  and that the applicant gives up all other citizenship rights while in Mexico.

Further,  since 1942, US born-citizens are prohibited by US law from voting in foreign elections ... but we've seen no evidence that this US law is enforced.

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

What I was told (and as I said before I do not know the veracity, but have heard from a few people), is that if you have dual citizenship and ENTER Mexico using your MXN passport, the US government will consider you a MXN citizen and will not (cannot??) intercede for you. 

If you enter with your US passport you are a US citizen abroad with either a tourist or other visa from MX).  

I found this link to State.gov https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

From that link:  

If you enter with your US passport you are a US citizen abroad with either a tourist or other visa from MX).  "

This has never been true under either US nor Mexican law for people holding Mexican passports.

1 hour ago, snowyco said:

If you enter with your US passport you are a US citizen abroad with either a tourist or other visa from MX).  "

This has never been true under either US nor Mexican law for people holding Mexican passports.

You are correct.

On the other hand,    if you don't plan on doing anything wrong or illegal here, then it should not matter one bit that when in Mexico you are considered Mexican only. When we became citizens several years ago we had to sign documents agreeing to that condition. Can't imagine it has changed..... and why should it?

21 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

Exactly why I have zero interest in dual citizenship. I see how Mexicans are treated by their government. Not for me.

I'm with Al.

Personally I chose citizenship because I chose Mexico as “my” country.   Never cared about benefits or advantages.  Natasha said it well, in essence while in Mexico you are Mexican; while in your country of birth or alternative passport you are solely a citizen of that country.  So to me it’s not a dual citizenship.  

From what I’ve read on this board many reflect a love for Mexico and respect for its culture, such as Angus, and would take pride in citizenship.   Others, simply adopting a ‘whats-in-it-for-me’ attitude would be better off not to chose the route of naturalization   In my sole opinion of course 

22 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Does anyone have any reasons why one might not want to do it?

I've never gone there but I'd assume:

Wouldn't be able to plead ignorance as a visitor would, as in leniency.  

Double taxation.

That's about it.  

Your name appearing on a birth certificate gives you a layer of protection, except, of course, from the child's mother.:D 

I accompanied a friend recently when she picked up her Mexican citizenship papers.  This included her taking the oath as a Mexican citizen.  Here are a few things that stood out to me:

1.  Once you become a Mexican citizen you must leave and enter Mexico with a Mexican passport, not the passport of the other country you are a citizen of.

2.  As as naturalized Mexico citizen you cannot be out of the country for more than five years.  If you exceed that time you lose your Mexican citizenship.

An advantage of becoming a Mexican citizen:

1.  If you are "de la tercera edad" you get a 50% discount on your water bill.

I know that it took my friend several trips to Mexico City to get the policia federal document required for citizenship.  She still needs to register as a Mexican voter and apply for a Mexican passport.

For me, personally, I see no advantage to becoming a Mexican citizen.  I am also not willing to give up whatever assistance or protection the US consulate might be able to offer me should I ever find myself in a situation needing whatever help they might be able to offer.

11 minutes ago, bdlngton said:

If you are "de la tercera edad" you get a 50% discount on your water bill.

Wow!

I think the 3rd agers get a check every two months worth about 1000P.  Wow!

If you are a naturalized citizen you may lose your citizenship if you  stay out of the country for more than 5 years.. The emphasize is on the MAY.. 

If you are a naturalized citizen and appeal to another country embassy you may lose your Mexican citizenship..I would think that in this case you will lose it..

You must leave and enter Mexico on a Mexican passport and enter whatever country on whatever passport you chose to.. I would think the US citizens would chose their US passport since  they would have to have a visa otherwise...

So you declare yourself Mexican at the immration  or on the folios when you leave Mexico and show your US passport to enter the US.. it is not complicated..

I became a Mexican citizen approximately 15 years ago. 

You are indeed required to leave Mexico showing a Mexican passport when flying out of Mexico--BUT.  When you are then asked to show a visa to enter the USA (required of Mexican citizens),  your USA passport serves as your visa.  I just hold mine up and am waved through.  You MUST, however, fill out an FMM--all Mexican citizens are required to do this.

If you are a naturalized citizen of Mexico, it is against the law to portray yourself as a citizen of the USA while you are in Mexico.  However, if you are traveling to a country other than the USA, you can enter that country with either your USA passport or your Mexican passport. 

You are not allowed to solicit assistance of any kind from the USA Embassy or its consulates in Mexico.  When you sign your Mexican citizenship papers, you also sign a document to the effect that you understand and accept that.

You ARE allowed to protest politically in front of the USA Embassy or consulates.  When you are standing on USA Embassy or USA consulate grounds, you are considered to be in the USA.  I participated at the USA Embassy in Mexico City without repercussions in last January's Women's March.  

As far as I'm concerned, there is no downside to becoming a Mexican citizen and holding dual citizenship.

The biggest upsides IMHO are two: 1.  I am able to vote in Mexican elections and am able to discuss Mexican politics, both of which are extremely important to me.
                                                                2.  This is my home country.  I believe in supporting my country in every way possible and working for change in the place that is my home.

6 hours ago, More Liana said:

You are indeed required to leave Mexico showing a Mexican passport...  ...You MUST, however, fill out an FMM--all Mexican citizens are required to do this.

On 1/13/2018 at 1:11 PM, AngusMactavish said:

My dual national family members leave Mexico with nothing but a smile. They return to Mexico the same way.

I have never seen my family or other Mexicans show their passports leaving and certainly not fill out a FMM. All our experiences were by car or walking out.

50 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

I have never seen my family or other Mexicans show their passports leaving and certainly not fill out a FMM. All our experiences were by car or walking out.

Flying, Angus.  I'll edit the comment.  And a passport or a visa to enter the USA is always required, whether walking, driving, or flying in.

Archived