Chapala.com Webboard

Donate old cell phone

Natasha

Recently and very grudgingly purchased new cell phone. ( Hate change!)

Any ideas where I could donate the old one?  VERY basic, NOT a smart phone, but to someone might still be useful.

SIM card has been removed so user would need to get new one, and their own phone number.  Gracias

5 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

In the states one could donate to the women's shelter. These phones can be used for emergency calls without having to pay. Do not  know how much it would cost for a SIM card for the phone though.

With all due respect, we are not IN the U.S.......... and the question applied to here.

With all due respect, I feel it could and should be done here, that is why I posted. The need for women to be able to call for help in an emergency is very real. The Tepehua community is one where women are second or third class individuals and need help and/or protection for themselves and their children. The cell phones can be used for emergencies even when there is no money on them. That is why the cost of putting a SIM card in each donated phone is of importance. I posted to make you and others award of this need and perhaps someone who reads this knows which avenues to take in order to implement some sort of program to accomplish this. 

Angus, I am asking not challenging. I thought that before you could make a call, you had to have a Mx SIM card loaded in the cell phone. But you could phone 911 whether you had a positive peso balance or ZERO pesos balance.  Am I wrong?

Angus is correct. A Telcel SIM will expire and the number given to someone else unless some minimum amount of money is recharged and every so often. It used to be 6 months but I think it is now 1 year but don't quote me on that part.

Thank you for explaining that. I am about to buy an unlocked iPhone X in Seattle and not transfer my sim card until I get back to Mexico. I did not realize that this new phone would work for 911 calls before it had a sim chip in it. (As long as it is charged)

• 2 weeks later...

I often purchase nob refurbished unlocked cell phones and bring them down to donate

Kids tennis rackets would also be grest for the tennis courts at the lake. They are usually very cheap nob

If your flying down bring some kids size tennis rackets to donate to the court for kids :)

Archived