Chapala.com Webboard

Second home internet connection?

Al Berca

A friend who uses her home for work on the Internet is looking for a back up in addition to TelMex. TeleCable does not have service in her area of upper Villa Nova. She needs something in the next couple of weeks.

Any suggestions?

Is there internet available through a satellite service? If so, how to contact please.

She is considering Spyder as a back up, also. Anyone use that and have feedback to share?

Thank you for providing any comments directly related to these questions.

I would search this forum for posts regarding the Telcel hotspots that some have posted about. If I remember, most said they work great but cost is much higher than land-based connections. If she is not doing heavy video streaming it might be the ticket. Good luck.

I know from experience TelCel's cell Internet is excellent and easily reaches speeds of 32 Mbps. However, as has been pointed out, data fees are quite high. I tether my PC to my cell phone on the odd occasion that TelMex service goes down, but I try to use it strictly for email, because it will eat through 200p in an hour. Surfing the Web,. with all the associated imagery downloads, costs a ton.

I use the cell phone tethering to my laptop Telcel option exclusively as there are no phone lines out to where I live. I do the "internet 500" package, which is good for about 40 days, or 4GB, whichever runs out first. I basically do email, but also check out some of my fave websites daily. Important to have adblock when using tethering, as well as going into your settings and not allowing 3rd party content to download, as well as setting your computer to "metered connection", which will prevent updates from automatically downloading.  In this way, I end up using about 3.5GB/month. Things like Facebook will chew through your data really fast, I guess since it's so full of so many photos and videos.

Generally speaking, like Computer Guy, I find the service works very well. Occasionally it cuts out and I have to turn off the tethering setting on my phone, wait a minute, and then turn it back on. And occasionally the reception and speed is slow or temporarily unavailable, but that seems to be only when it's a busy holiday weekend with hundreds, if not thousands of 20 and 30 somethings jamming up the cell signals with their endless social media addictions :-)

The plan I use, which is not dedicated (Amigo data or something) but gives me data, etc.... also gives me unlimited FaceBook and WhatsApp... I don't know how the Interent packages compare, but one would think that you'd get at least the same benefits, no?

Computerguy suggested a while ago to download Glasswire and I did because I had absolutely no idea how many gigabytes I used daily. How can you choose a plan if you don't know how much you use?... at least until the plans give you unlimited internet and I may very well be pushing up daisies when that day comes.

Using the cell phone as a hotspot is fine except for the cost.

This little contraption is called a "mifi" unit (stands for mobile wifi) and all it does is internet (link #1). It will work with ANY cell service but it's up to you to find out which is most cost effective for your purpose and contract with them. Here, at the Lake, that would be AT&T at the Laguna Mall.

Link #1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014RA2QE6/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I101D8GQY7D8I9&colid=9UO437NK1P8L&psc=1  This definitely works in Mexico... others may as well. Please do your due diligence.

My friend who lives almost to Joco had the worst internet service ever. She bought the unit above and contracted with AT&T and has good consistent service now... and is in the process of taking Telmex to Profeco. She and her husband are happy.

6 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

The plan I use, which is not dedicated (Amigo data or something) but gives me data, etc.... also gives me unlimited FaceBook and WhatsApp... I don't know how the Interent packages compare, but one would think that you'd get at least the same benefits, no?

You'd have to check that out on the Mi Telcel website info. Which, as we all know, is subject to change anytime. I don't do Facebook or Whatsapp or twitter, so I really didn't bother to look at that, but I do think that may be included. I can call or text with the internet package, no problem. I just know I had a family member staying with me who was tethering to my phone and using Facebook a lot and I noticed that it was eating through my data to the tune of 10% of the 4 GB I get in about an hour or 2. Maybe she was uploading photos or something, I didn't ask.

I have a different old school dumb phone I use for regular texting and calling with the Sin Limites 100 peso/21 days package and just get the Internet 500 package for tethering with the smart phone. Since I have no other way to get internet at home, I don't want to take the chance on getting the smart phone stolen, broken or lost by carrying it around with me as my regular phone.

Archived