Chapala.com Webboard

WHATTAPORKCHOP: Gosha's

gringal

We went there today anticipating  the Monday special: Swedish meat balls.  For some reason, they were all gone and a new batch was in the works but couldn't be had for 40 minutes.  So, we both ordered the alternate special, smoked pork chops with some trepidation since pork chops are often a celebration of fat, or the smoked ones too salty.  When they arrived, they were large, nearly fat free and thick, along with two slices of pineapple, a mound of mashed potatoes and a roll.  These were lightly smoked and delicious. A real treat and an excellent value at $115 pesos.

58 minutes ago, gringal said:

We went there today anticipating  the Monday special: Swedish meat balls.  For some reason, they were all gone and a new batch was in the works but couldn't be had for 40 minutes.  So, we both ordered the alternate special, smoked pork chops with some trepidation since pork chops are often a celebration of fat, or the smoked ones too salty.  When they arrived, they were large, nearly fat free and thick, along with two slices of pineapple, a mound of mashed potatoes and a roll.  These were lightly smoked and delicious. A real treat and an excellent value at $115 pesos.

You can get that pork chop as you described at any butcher in Chapala and I would suspect even in Ajijic and have them cut it for you as thick as you want and even trim the fat off if you find that too much trouble.

14 minutes ago, ned small said:

You can get that pork chop as you described at any butcher in Chapala and I would suspect even in Ajijic and have them cut it for you as thick as you want and even trim the fat off if you find that too much trouble.

What's that got to do with lunch at a restaurant

Did I somehow suggest that I wished to drive to Chapala, go to a butcher, attempt to describe exactly how "smoked" I wanted it,  and take it home to eat it?  Read.

B)

7 hours ago, ned small said:

But not already cooked along with side dishes and served to you.  That's a basic difference between a restaurant and home--unless you can afford to hire someone to room for you in your own home.

10 hours ago, bdlngton said:

But not already cooked along with side dishes and served to you.  That's a basic difference between a restaurant and home--unless you can afford to hire someone to room for you in your own home.

That meal is so easy to prepare that you could do it blindfolded with one arm tied behind your back. As a single man, it's one of the easiest things I prepare and I prefer ordering things in restaurants that I generally don't do myself. But that's neither here nor there. The point I was making was that the chop is not unusual as the OP suggested and available just as she described almost at every butchers.

I didn't see anything in the OP that suggested the chops were unusual, other than the fact that they were cooked and served properly. We have a lot of restaurants here that are not actually capable of producing a fine meal. And at that price, cheaper than a sub at another place... .

8 minutes ago, ajijiccharlie said:

Ned, would you start a discussion about your cooking?  What is your favorite dish? Could you share your recipe?

Ned's "point"missed the boat altogether. (1) This is an unusual smoked pork chop, and he wouldn't know that unless he tried it.  Most are way too salty and (2) it's just plain silly to follow comments on a restaurant meal with directions on how to have the same meal by doing it yourself.   If people didn't enjoy going to restaurants, there wouldn't be so many.  I do enough cooking, and it's a treat to go out.

19 hours ago, gringal said:

We went there today anticipating  the Monday special: Swedish meat balls.  For some reason, they were all gone and a new batch was in the works but couldn't be had for 40 minutes.  So, we both ordered the alternate special,   [smoked pork chops with some trepidation since pork chops are often a celebration of fat, or the smoked ones too salty.  When they arrived, they were large, nearly fat free and thick,   These were lightly smoked and delicious.]   A real treat and an excellent value at $115 pesos.

Here you go computerperson and edited just for you too gringal. The chop you had was not unusual so I did not miss the boat.

3 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

... and Gringal and I have certainly had our share of "Make it yourself" when asked about good pizza places...

Good grief, yes. 

Ned's just beating a dead hose trying to be "right". I'm tired of the attitude of "I'm savvy and you're a fool" as well as the chronic nitpickers.

We should all feel comfortable giving restaurants a plug when they do things right.  Why not?

1 hour ago, gringal said:

Good grief, yes. 

Ned's just beating a dead hose trying to be "right". I'm tired of the attitude of "I'm savvy and you're a fool" as well as the chronic nitpickers.

We should all feel comfortable giving restaurants a plug when they do things right.  Why not?

No reason why not and is part of Cocina Forum’s function. Don’t see anything in your post to attack or quibble over. Some people are just cranky. 

5 hours ago, Xena said:

Some people are just cranky. 

In psychology it's called, projection.  I'm talking about your state of mind.  

I'm old.  I've earned the right to be cranky.  :huh: 

But if I stop for a moment and think I'm the dog who smells his own hole first ... I usually come around.  You?

28 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Here we go again...the same posters going way off topic and blabbing on to the point that most of us, I am sure, questioning their sanity let alone their intelligence. 

2df9b35585fd0094e76f050725001fb7.jpg

OK OK, I'm like really smart, went to all the best schools, IQ of 150 on a bad day, believe me.

I don't eat pigs.  They are of the most intelligent mammals on Earth.  Have you seen the life they lead up to their butchering?  

Gringal, I believe that you had a very good meal, and your review has encouraged me to have dinner at Gosha's.  Ned is obviously lonely and in need of attention so I would like for him to start his own cooking column. It would keep him focused, just as John in Ajijic kept busy with his many, many, many reviews.

2 hours ago, ajijiccharlie said:

Gringal, I believe that you had a very good meal, and your review has encouraged me to have dinner at Gosha's.  Ned is obviously lonely and in need of attention so I would like for him to start his own cooking column. It would keep him focused, just as John in Ajijic kept busy with his many, many, many reviews.

Agreed!  A restaurant review is just that, not a home cooking advice column.  There are many reasons why people choose to eat out, even simple dishes that might be prepared at home.  No shame in that.  No shame in eating pork either.  Personal choice.  This forum exists for things like this review.  If it sounds good, go try it.  If it doesn't appeal, avoid it.  If you want to prepare it at home, go for it. 

10 hours ago, ajijiccharlie said:

I always have a good meal there. The dinner menu is extensive and includes vegetarian entrees as well as a full range of meats along with shrimp and salmon.  My spouse calls me the culinary canary in the mine since my stomach quickly objects to cheap cooking oils or over the hill ingredients.  Gosha's food agrees with that picky gut.  I won't be mean enough to list the places that don't,  but it might include some surprises.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ned's own cooking column.:D

The following posted responses to Gringal's attempt to introduce a "sound" report on Gosha's are a perfect example of how a post can be taken far off topic by those who have nothing to better to do. Gringal and Ajijicharlie are the only two posting who actually contribute anything of much value about Gosha's.......which is, hands down one of the best eateries to have opened here in years!  Oh yes, I must admit that I'm shocked to see a post from Trump using the moniker "Modeeper"!   It's the quote "I'm like really smart" that's a dead giveaway!  Suggest he sticks to watching t.v. in his living quarters

The following will likely end up as the script for a stage performance somewhere close.  There'll be no need for editing!  Could even be picked up by Second City!

1. You can get that pork chop as you described at any butcher in Chapala and I would suspect even in Ajijic and have them cut it for you as thick as you want and even trim the fat off if you find that too much trouble.

2. What's that got to do with lunch at a restaurant

Did I somehow suggest that I wished to drive to Chapala, go to a butcher, attempt to describe exactly how "smoked" I wanted it,  and take it home to eat it?  Read.

3. But not already cooked along with side dishes and served to you.  That's a basic difference between a restaurant and home--unless you can afford to hire someone to room for you in your own home.

4. That meal is so easy to prepare that you could do it blindfolded with one arm tied behind your back. As a single man, it's one of the easiest things I prepare and I prefer ordering things in restaurants that I generally don't do myself. But that's neither here nor there. The point I was making was that the chop is not unusual as the OP suggested and available just as she described almost at every butchers.

5. Ned, would you start a discussion about your cooking?  What is your favorite dish? Could you share your recipe?

6. Call it .. small portions.

7. I didn't see anything in the OP that suggested the chops were unusual, other than the fact that they were cooked and served properly. We have a lot of restaurants here that are not actually capable of producing a fine meal. And at that price, cheaper than a sub at another place... .

8. Ned's "point"missed the boat altogether. (1) This is an unusual smoked pork chop, and he wouldn't know that unless he tried it.  Most are way too salty and (2) it's just plain silly to follow comments on a restaurant meal with directions on how to have the same meal by doing it yourself.   If people didn't enjoy going to restaurants, there wouldn't be so many.  I do enough cooking, and it's a treat to go out.

9. Here you go computerperson and edited just for you too gringal. The chop you had was not unusual so I did not miss the boat.

10. ... and Gringal and I have certainly had our share of "Make it yourself" when asked about good pizza places...

11. Again, I see nothing that suggests they were unusual, do you?

12. Good grief, yes. 

13. No reason why not and is part of Cocina Forum’s function. Don’t see anything in your post to attack or quibble over. Some people are just cranky.

14. In psychology it's called, projection.  I'm talking about your state of mind.  

I'm old.  I've earned the right to be cranky.  :huh: 

But if I stop for a moment and think I'm the dog who smells his own hole first ... I usually come around.  You?

15. Here we go again...the same posters going way off topic and blabbing on to the point that most of us, I am sure, questioning their sanity let alone their intelligence. 

16. Is there a question? :rolleyes:.

17. OK OK, I'm like really smart, went to all the best schools, IQ of 150 on a bad day, believe me.    

I don't eat pigs.  They are of the most intelligent mammals on Earth.  Have you seen the life they lead up to their butchering?  

18. Would somebody explain how this thread wandered all the way into animal welfare/the IQ of pigs/and how smart a poster thinks he is?  Relevance???

19. Gringal, I believe that you had a very good meal, and your review has encouraged me to have dinner at Gosha's.  Ned is obviously lonely and in need of attention so I would like for him to start his own cooking column. It would keep him focused, just as John in Ajijic kept busy with his many, many, many reviews.

20. Agreed!  A restaurant review is just that, not a home cooking advice column.  There are many reasons why people choose to eat out, even simple dishes that might be prepared at home.  No shame in that.  No shame in eating pork either.  Personal choice.  This forum exists for things like this review.  If it sounds good, go try it.  If it doesn't appeal, avoid it.  If you want to prepare it at home, go for it. 

21. A lot of people have had life-changing experiences after visiting a slaughterhouse.  I am one of those.  Sorry to bother.  

•  

Archived