Chapala.com Webboard

Satellite TV Provider

Dan M

What choices do I have to order satellite television in Chapala with the usual US chanels.  I just call Shaw direct and was told they do not legally offer services in Mexico.  Dish network told me the same thing.  Does  anybody have a local installer  or company that can provide American television channels? 

Many folks who come to visit for the winter, simply bring an extra receiver with them and continue to watch programming being provided to them up North.

Others, rather than watching satellite TV, stream programming to them to their smart TV, Others subscribe to DIGITAL Telecable and choose English as the alternative language

To learn more go to a local satellite TV provider and ask them what the alternatives are

Also remember that the satellite signals pointed toward Canada or the US have weaker signals, if any, that reach central Mexico. So if the signals are viewable at all via satellite, chances are that you will need a much larger satellite dish.

27 minutes ago, johanson said:

Many folks who come to visit for the winter....

It wasn't clear to me that "Dan" was asking just about snowbirding, so I'll expand your answer.

Yes, MANY folks living at Lakeside have Shaw Direct and get very good reception and stations from a couple of US host locations (Seattle, Detroit?). Sometimes there are even Receivers for sale locally privately. These days the best reception requires a slightly larger or elliptical dish. There are 'dealers' here who will install and set one up with a 'Canadian Address' so that Shaw is 'not aware'.

Dish has been available as has DirectTV. I think (someone will correct me!) that it is available through AT&T Mexico. 

Rick although DISH USA does not come in well. There are some folks who subscribe to DISH USA using one to several satellite dishes to get signals from those channels via satellite that have strong enough signals to reach lakeside.

Even fewer signals are viewable from DirecTV USA. In fact some satellite dealers refuse to even provide service for DirecTV.

Rich, years ago we used to have a Mexican DirecTV. But not anymore. It may still be available in Central America. Like Dish Mexico, both use Spanish as their primary language. 

I have DirecTV here in freezing Seattle and I am familiar with the link in the US between AT&T and US DirecTV. But sadly there is no linkage down there in Mexico between  Mex AT&T US DirecTV in Mexico.

Dan

Yes there are some individuals who can help you. But as far as I know, the Satellite Dealers do not dare do this. They would be breaking Mexican law.  However they would have no problem selling you a satellite dish and or helping you to point a dish toward a satellite.

You would be surprised about how many channels on digital Mexican Telecable can be watched in English by using your SAP (secondary Audio program) option.

Archived