Chapala.com Webboard

Yahoo News hahahaha

modeeper

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

English is English. If you want to call it otherwise then call it American English but it certainly isn't International English.

International English

International English is the concept of the English language as a global means of communication in numerous dialects, and also the movement towards an international standard for the language. It is also referred to as Global English, World English, Common English, Continental English, General English, Engas (English as associate language), or Globish.

1 hour ago, modeeper said:

ACAPULCO, Mexico -- Violent clashes involving gunmen .....

state police killed 11 people in the troubled southern state of Guerrero on Sunday

Ha! They've been reading this forum.

ZZZz.png

47 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

International English

International English is the concept of the English language as a global means of communication in numerous dialects, and also the movement towards an international standard for the language. It is also referred to as Global English, World English, Common English, Continental English, General English, Engas (English as associate language), or Globish.

Here Angus, grab a phone book and look up English Teaching Schools in GDL.  When someone answers ask them, what sort of English do you teach.  They, if they are of any size, will prolly say something like, we have 2 Americans, 8 Canadians and a dark fellow from Jamaica.

Then ask, I am going to live in Jamaica, do I need a Jamaican teacher?  What do you think the reply will be?  Rastafari? 

57 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

International English

Very interesting. May as well include electronic English as well... u reddy 4 it?

I can sit on the fence about this but that doesn't make it correct. I'm glad my first language is English because it is a bitch to understand the logic of the spelling and vowel combinations and their individual pronunciations. It's a discipline that should be learned properly though and requires effort. The world is getting very lazy with "autocorrect" (which is more often "autoincorrect") and calculators for simple arithmetic. Our brains are muscles and should be used or they will atrophy. Artificial Intelligence is here... and it's US!

20 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Very interesting. May as well include electronic English as well... u reddy 4 it?

I can sit on the fence about this but that doesn't make it correct. I'm glad my first language is English because it is a bitch to understand the logic of the spelling and vowel combinations and their individual pronunciations. It's a discipline that should be learned properly though and requires effort. The world is getting very lazy with "autocorrect" (which is more often "autoincorrect") and calculators for simple arithmetic. Our brains are muscles and should be used or they will atrophy. Artificial Intelligence is here... and it's US!

Good one!

Interested students often ask, how long will it take me to learn English?  ... as long as you let it.  

Nah, much of English isn't so difficult. What's difficult are the features we have that their native language doesn't.  Same for pronunciation, Spanish speakers have the ñ  but so do we, onion.  And that's how you teach it to a Gringo. 

To teach TH , or the gutterals you have to go to a chart of the three areas human sound comes from; close your mouth, fill it with air, out your tongue behind your upper teeth and spit, father, mother.  The sounds that come from the front of the mouth are the sounds (letters) babies make; dada ,baba.  Those are easy.

The verbs are a bitch in English, cause out of 5 you have 13-14 sounds.

Try Thai, 44 consonants and 33 vowels, 5 tones.   Chinese, you have to learn 2-3000 characters to read a newspaper.

I've always said that I'm willing to learn a new language... but I draw the line at having to learn a new alphabet. Have friends in Ottawa who raised two children who are now fluent in three languages. Mom only spoke Chinese to them (which dialect I don't know)... Dad only spoke French (Quebecois not Parisian) ... and school only spoke English. What an incredible gift.

Hey modeeper, you got me curious. Mr. Google says that the population of Mexico City is shown below

The estimated population of 8,918,653 in 2016 is up from 8.851 million in 2010. The metropolitan area, however, is much larger with a population of 21.2 million people, making Mexico City the most populous metropolitan area in the Western Hemisphere.Oct 20, 2017]

Oh and no big deal but there is no longer a DF.

Oh an Canada's population according to Mr. Google is

Canada's population increased to 35,151,728 last year largely driven by growth in the West, according to 2016 census data released Wednesday by Statistics Canada

I had forgotten how large Mexico City is :)

Fact is nobody knows what the population of DF is, nor Tokyo.  Imagine being in charge of the census.  I did it for a few terms in California.  You walk up to the front door and watch 8 or 10 guys running out the back. 

It's the questions they ask to occupants that cause the fear.   I'm  sure the census has a formula that's used to fill in the unknowns.  Just like what they say about cockroaches; for every one you see there are 200 more.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived