Chapala.com Webboard

Canadian Travel Advisory

dboisclair

Canada just increased it's security warning/advisory, including recommending curtailing all non-essential travel in some states. I understand these types of warnings err on the side of caution and that there are murders and robberies everyday NOB, but the warning includes Colima, where I'm going next Monday.

Six of us are renting a Van and driving over for two days with a stop in Comala when we arrive, and Sayula on the way back.  

I normally take these warnings with a grain of salt and exercise what I believe is due diligence, but this time it's a little disconcerting. It's a secondary road into Sayula and we normally stay on the Autopista/Quota whenever we drive.

Does anyone have any recent, hands-on experience with driving into Sayula?  I know it's very subjective but if you did, did you feel "safe"? 

Thx

I wouldn't worry about Colima but I wouldn't stay there either, really not much to see.  There are nicer beach towns than Sayula which is very gringo crowded and pricey this time of year.  IMO, you may want to check out La Manzanilla if you are coming this far south.  We overnighted in Comala a year ago and although we really liked the place we stayed, we didn't think Comala ranks very high in terms of the quality of Pueblo Magicos we have visited.  However the volcano did perform for us which was very cool.

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. We're here in Ajijic and driving over to Colima for a two-day, day trip. It's a beautiful colonial city with a lovely downtown square, nice museums and great history. We're only visiting Comala for a few hours while we're there, just to have lunch and to look around a bit. 

Sayula is a magic town along the way that's known for it's artisan knife makers. It's approx 15 klm off the autopista on a secondary road and I'm just wondering if anyone has driven there recently and how they felt about safety and security. 

Cheers

16 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Sayula is not a beach town. Think knives.

Yup, got it confused with Sayulita.  Senior moment.

Very nice square in Sayula but the knife shops are mainly a couple blocks away from the square.  Been there several times, really woudn't worry about security.  Nice quiet town.  Pretty square and some good breakfast places.  A regular stop for local riders.

Comment stands on Colima.   

To the specific title of this Post.....

I usually keep my ‘ears to the ground and eyes wide open’ with respect to any ‘troubles’ that may be happening in Mexico... and to note just where and what is actually going on.  I have NOT heard of anything out of the ordinary lately even and including border states like Tamaulipas etc. or Michaucan and Jalisco where I like to travel. 

Earlier today I read the Canadian report and wondered what I might have missed. And yes, Jalisco was mentioned as was Nayarit specificallyTepic etc. Has anyone come across any recent information that might have caused such a warning Saturday?  Other than, like the US, the obligatory “well, we warned you so do don’t start crying to us if something happens to you’ kind of stuff? (The last sentence is just MY opinion of how many of these US State Department warnings in the past have appeared to me....)

While I would not advise travel to frigid Canada a trip to Comala would be most rewarding.    I would stay two nights so I could dine at Jackal and enjoy the volcano and another at the Botanero closest to the church.   For outstanding food I’d go to Piccolos.   Many things to do.   

As for a quiet beach town I’d go to the beautiful black beaches of Cuyutlan take a river boat through the Mangroves and visit the Tortugario.    Much more interesting than the seeing drunken tourists in speedos up the coast as some will suggest.  

1 hour ago, El congrejo said:

Much more interesting than the seeing drunken tourists in speedos up the coast as some will suggest.  

Hahaha,....yup, we have plenty of them right now here in PV.  If that's your cup 'o tea, now's the time!

PS   Like your handle

1 hour ago, El congrejo said:

While I would not advise travel to frigid Canada a trip to Comala would be most rewarding.    I would stay two nights so I could dine at Jackal and enjoy the volcano and another at the Botanero closest to the church.   For outstanding food I’d go to Piccolos.   Many things to do.   

As for a quiet beach town I’d go to the beautiful black beaches of Cuyutlan take a river boat through the Mangroves and visit the Tortugario.    Much more interesting than the seeing drunken tourists in speedos up the coast as some will suggest.  

Never heard of this place before so checked google. Looks very interesting.how long in car from lakeside? Any recs for hotels?

(Shouldnt you handle be el cAngrejo ?)

13 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

US State Department issued travel warnings today...

It includes this:

U.S. government employees are prohibited from patronizing adult clubs and gambling establishments in Aguascalientes.

18 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

It includes this:

U.S. government employees are prohibited from patronizing adult clubs and gambling establishments in Aguascalientes.

Here, let me grab a pencil and X-out Aguascalientes on my bucket list.  No need to go there.  :lol:

On 1/10/2018 at 12:18 PM, El congrejo said:

My favorite place to stay is Casa Blanca b&b.    casablancadecomala@yahoo.com

The owners Rosa y Miguel speak perfect english and are two of the nicest people you could hope to meet. 

Yes should be cangrejo but I’m to lazy to correct the typo.  

We stayed there as well.  Really liked it and definitely can recommend.

Sorry I can't give you current advice for i have not been in this area for 10 years. But my favorite place to visit and stay is Hacienda de la  Esperanza outside of Tonila. If it hasn't changed you will find a beautiful hacienda, excellent place to stay and eat, with a fantastic Mexican history. I've stayed there  twice and give ie 5 stars. 

It is about 20 miles from Colima and an loaded with history and views of the volcano. I would think this little village would be safe and free from crime. If the management has not changed they did an excellent job of making one comfortable and well served. I would be interested in knowing what it is like today - comments please.

Sayula a nice quite town? May be to you maincoon... the cartels have moved in.. A friend of mine is from Sayula and always went up in the country to get clay for his work.. Last time he did that he was surrounded by armed men asking him what he thought he was doing. He said I am picking up clay I have the permission of the owner don.. whatever .. He was informed the land had new owners and they did not want anyone to enter.. Apparently many of the Michoacan bad guys are moving in there ...

Archived