Chapala.com Webboard

TABARKA CHANGES

gringal

Four of us had dinner last evening at Tabarka in their newest location on Ramon Corona in Ajijic. That's the street on the west side of LCS. Turn right off 16 de Septiembre and Tabarka is in the first block of Ramon Corona going north.  Right side of the street.  Parking: usually not bad.

The garden setting keeps improving and all the equipale chairs have been brought up to top shape. (The chairs at a few otherwise nice restaurants need help badly.) I've been to lunch there several times, but this was a first dinner.

A slick new menu arrived with so many dishes listed that it was a tough decision.   There are tapas and paellas along with the other entrees: everything has a Spain-Spanish accent. (They listed the preparation time on items that take 30 minutes or more, giving customers fair warning.)  Our group chose a variety of entrees: shrimp, lasagna, cristorro and chicken.  The bread basket with the garlic mayo spread arrived and was  pounced on.  A great hunger appeaser.  Everyone was very pleased with their entrees: the shrimp was perfectly grilled; the chicken was  tender and moist. My cristorro paired with pineapple salad was very tasty. The servings were so generous that no one considered dessert, but the menu had tempting choices. 

I highly recommend Tabarka.  Excellent chefs;  fresh, high quality food at very fair prices in a  pleasant setting.  Dress for patio dining in the "winter" evenings.

7 minutes ago, Oatsie said:

Ajijic Charlie & Gringal.....   Both of you are quite right.  My apologies to everyone.  I'm asking the mod for advice as to whether I should delete it or will he.

Why don't you post the information on the Events thread?  Sounds like a good opportunity to have paella, made by the doc.

17 minutes ago, Oatsie said:

Ajijic Charlie & Gringal.....   Both of you are quite right.  My apologies to everyone.  I'm asking the mod for advice as to whether I should delete it or will he.

Here's some advice: delete it and move it where it belongs.  Go to your post, click on Options and "delete" will pop up.  Hit it.  

• 2 weeks later...

We ate there Friday night? David was not there and to us and several other tables we were told certain things we wanted were not there. What we did eat was fine  but if he keeps up with the not there thing I bet his walk in business will drop. I know he is catering the paella but he needs the restaurant income too.

10 of us had dinner at Tabarka last night. In one word......dismal. Reservations were for 6 PM. So, not late.We were told before putting in our orders there was no chicken and only one piece of Dorado. About 10-15 mins. after putting in our orders, we were told there was no pasta, after ordering 3 pasta dishes. While ordering we were told that the paella and risotto  were for a minimum of 2 people at $125 each. At the bottom of the menu it does tell you that in quite small print. So, some of us did order the paella, which was fairly good. Two people had the risotto, which was horrible. More like a fish soup. Don't think they even used arborio rice. They say to allow 30 mins. for the paella. But, it was more like an hour. Two people had the sea bass that was pretty good. Two of us ordered calamari appies at the same time. One arrived fairly quick. The other arrived about 30 mins. later. Both were not good. Very rubbery. One of our party ordered a steak, which was pretty good. But he was finished his meal long before any of the rest of us rec'd our orders. Needless to say, most of us will not be going back. 

We used to go to Tabarka when they were on the west side of Ajijic. And, always had a great meal. We did not see David last night. So, assume he was not there. If they keep this up, they'll be closed up like so many other restaurants have done Lakeside. Consistency is the key.

We had pretty much the same experience when we went on a "no David" night with Tabarka.  After an hour and a half and no food, we got up and left and went around the corner to Cocinart and had the usual great meal there.  Haven't been back to Tabarka since and have no plans to do so.  We also used to go to Tabarka when it was on the west side and were never disappointed.

Someone needs to tell David nicely that trying to run two restaurants at the same time isn't working.  When he is not there, the crew is not up to the job.

It is nothing new. Service and poor food & confusion were always evident when David was absent from the restaurant.  When he was there, an enjoyable meal could be expected.  If he doesn‘t know, he should.  It seems nothing much has changed, over the years, except the location.

Archived