Chapala.com Webboard

2018 Income / Asset Qualification numbers

Intercasa

I updated the figures for 2018

http://www.chapalalaw.com/immigration-2/

VISA REQUIREMENTS AT MEXICAN CONSULATES OUTSIDE MEXICO:
To qualify for the temporary visa they must show a monthly income of 300 times the minimum wage (for 2018 it is 88.36 pesos) or 26,508 pesos or $1,369 US dollars using an exchange rate of 19.37 to 1 (using January 3, 2018 exchange rate). This must be documented with 6 months bank statements. People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 5,000 times the minimum wage (for 2018 it is 80.36 pesos) or 441,800 pesos or $22,808 US dollars using an exchange rate of 19.37 to 1 (using January 3, 2018 exchange rate). This must be documented with 12 months bank statements.

To qualify for the permanent visa they must show a monthly income of 500 times the minimum wage (for 2018 it is 88.36 pesos) or 44,180 pesos or $2,281 US dollars using an exchange rate of 19.37 to 1 (using January 3, 2018 exchange rate). This must be documented with 6 months bank statements. People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 20,000 times the minimum wage (for 2018 it is 88.36 pesos) or 1,767,200 pesos or $91,233 US dollars using an exchange rate of 19.37 to 1 (using January 3, 2018 exchange rate). This must be documented with 12 months bank statements. It has been reported to us that in the past there was no minimum age limit on people applying for permanent visas but now many have reported that consulates are asking to see pension or retirement income in order to apply for the permanent visa or they are not giving them to people who are under 50 or 60 years old if at all. Shop around as consulates have different internal guidelines and if you are in this situation it pays to make some calls.

You can apply for visas for your spouse (gay couples included) and children at the consulate at the same time or we can do it when you are here in Mexico once the primary applicant has their visa. Remember that in order to do this we will need birth / marriage certificates and apostilles (legalized copies for those from Canada or non Hague Convention countries).

Please be advised that the consulates might have their own special rules. Processing time varies from a few hours to a few days on average. We can consult with you prior to your trip to the consulate and then prepare you for finishing the process here in Mexico as well as advise you how to properly fill out the FMM form upon arrival so that there will be no processing delays. Clients have reported that the consulates in Laredo, Texas and Phoenix, Arizona are some of the easier ones to deal with some only requires US$1,000 per month to get temporary during last year. While the law says you must give 6 or 12 months bank statements, many consulates only ask for 3 to 6 months. Laredo requires an appointment be made online prior to going, we can help you make your appointment and go over documentation requirements so you do not have to make two trips.

We can make your appointment for your visa at the following consulates for a small fee:

United States
Laredo, Texas; Phoenix, Arizona; Denver, Colorado

South America
Quito, Ecuador; Bogota, Colombia,

Europe
London, England; Paris, France; Madrid, Spain; Barcelona, Spain; Rome, Italy; Milan, Italy

Asia
Beijing, China; Hong Kong, China; Tokyo, Japan; New Delhi, India

VISA REQUIREMENTS AT THE NATIONAL IMMIGRATION INSTITUTE INSIDE MEXICO:
To qualify for the temporary visa they must show a monthly income of 400 times the minimum wage (for 2018 it is 88.36 pesos) or 35,344 pesos or $1,825 US dollars using an exchange rate of 19.37 to 1 (using January 3, 2018 exchange rate). This must be documented with 6 months bank statements. People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 20,000 times the minimum wage (for 2018 it is 88.36 pesos) or 1,767,200 pesos or $91,233 US dollars using an exchange rate of 19.37 to 1 (using January 3, 2018 exchange rate). This must be documented with 12 months bank statements. This is most commonly applied to those who renew late and have to prove income again.

To qualify for the permanent visa they must show a monthly income of 500 times the minimum wage (for 2018 it is 88.36 pesos) or 44,180 pesos or $2,281 US dollars using an exchange rate of 19.37 to 1 (using January 3, 2018 exchange rate). This must be documented with 6 months bank statements. People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 25,000 times the minimum wage (for 2018 it is 88.36 pesos) or 2,209,000 pesos or $114,042 US dollars using an exchange rate of 19.37 to 1 (using January 3, 2018 exchange rate). This must be documented with 12 months bank statements. Immigration has been applying a rule the past few years that in order to change from temporary to a permanent visa that you must show that you receive a pension or retirement income, even $1.00. This has effectively stopped many people from “jumping ahead” if they only have savings and do not receive any pension or retirement income, in these cases people must complete all 4 years as a temporary before going to permanent if for only financial reasons (not family related).

You can apply for visas for your spouse (gay couples included) and children at the consulate at the same time or we can do it when you are here in Mexico once the primary applicant has their visa. Remember that in order to do this we will need birth / marriage certificates and apostilles (legalized copies for those from Canada or non Hague Convention countries).

*2016 Note – Immigration has changed their position during the past year and now will deny renewals for temporary visas for people who entered Mexico with permission to work for a company and then change to be self employed. They are alleging that the same entry conditions do not exist. We feel this is a violation of the 5th Article of the Mexican Constitution as well as Human Rights so please plan accordingly if you are inside Mexico and wish to switch jobs.

This is spot on target.  I visited the Mexican consulate office in San Diego to apply for my Permanent Residency Visa (Retiree).  I did bring 12 months worth of bank statements showing my balance was over $100,000 US for 12 months and they wanted all of them.   It was a bit of a pain as my bank statements went to my PO Box instead of my US home address and at first the woman said that I needed to ask my bank for new copies with my home address instead.   Luckily I had 12 worths of bank statements from another bank also with over $100k in it and she accepted that one instead.  I'm not sure why it matters where the bank statements are going to.   My PO Box was also in the same city where I live.  

Now I have to finish the process in Guadalajara when I visit next month.  

• 6 months later...

This is all quite confusing.  I am considering Mexico for retirement soon.  I would be a retiree seeking either temp or perm visa.  I am financially on the fringe for temp.  and looks like I do not qualify for perm.  It also looks like some consulates in Texas and Arizona are more lenient.  My ss sec. is just under $1000, and investments of IRA and mutual funds.  What can you tell me? 

Share with us which part is 'quite confusing'. The requirements are pretty straight forward... either one qualifies or not.  I am not aware that any Mexican Consulates are more lenient but I have heard that some decisions can be  'left up to the Consulate'.  Maybe a call to some of them can answer your concerns.

Be aware that many folks, for whatever reason, come and live in Mexico on a Tourist Card. It is good for 180 days and it allows a US plated vehicle be brought into Mexico, as does the Temporal but not the Permanente. These folks just make a trip to the border right at 180 days, maybe do some shopping in the US border town and then drive back into Mexico getting another new 180-day permit.

4 hours ago, RickS said:

Share with us which part is 'quite confusing'. The requirements are pretty straight forward... either one qualifies or not.  I am not aware that any Mexican Consulates are more lenient but I have heard that some decisions can be  'left up to the Consulate'.  Maybe a call to some of them can answer your concerns.

Be aware that many folks, for whatever reason, come and live in Mexico on a Tourist Card. It is good for 180 days and it allows a US plated vehicle be brought into Mexico, as does the Temporal but not the Permanente. These folks just make a trip to the border right at 180 days, maybe do some shopping in the US border town and then drive back into Mexico getting another new 180-day permit.

Please note that you are not gted a 180 day tourist card each time you come back in; they have been clamping now on 'frequent visitors'  and reducing the # of days on second or third time across.

Could you put some specificity to those claims?  I have heard of nothing but antidotal information that would substantiate anything other than sporadic occasions that this has happened... like at the Belize border or maybe from folks who tried to ‘turn a card in and immediately ask for another’.  Who are ‘they’.... any particular crossing.... and put some figures to ‘clamping down’ please. 

It has been stated numerous times on FB pages and at least one person who comes to house/pet sit a couple times a year has had their 180 day permit reduced. It would have been flying in. As you state sporadic occasions, so you take your chances and roll the dice. As with much in life, no guarantees.

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2018 at 8:07 AM, G.chal said:

Hi

I bought property here, will this count as asset towards my tempory visa??

May depend on which consulate you go to in order to obtain your temporary visa. Nothing is stated but consulates each interpret the requirements differently.

Ask them.

Archived