Chapala.com Webboard

How much to increase salaries of gardener and maid

arlenes

Our maid and gardener have worked for us for 8 years. We increase their salary each January but wonder if their is some kind of general (cap) on their salaries. How much do you increase salaries each year if you do?

20 minutes ago, arlenes said:

Our maid and gardener have worked for us for 8 years. We increase their salary each January but wonder if their is some kind of general (cap) on their salaries. How much do you increase salaries each year if you do?

Usually 5%.

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

Inflation was about 6.5% in 2017. I gave my help nothing. I do not feel that the exchange rate, dollar vs peso, has any bearing on her pay.

Wouldn't local employees love it if their wage were based on the dollar, that the Gringos covered their country's inflation?

I just got a 2.1% increase on my SS.  I'm going to pass that windfall on to my maid and gardener .. that'd be me.

Inflation in Mexico is not due solely or even mostly to dollar vs peso rates and it affects all of us - including maids and gardeners. No doubt that the costs of many things here at lakeside have gone up. People who don't make much money are affected quite a bit when costs increase even modestly. We gave our helpers a nice raise this year and they were very appreciative.

3 hours ago, REC said:

Inflation in Mexico is not due solely or even mostly to dollar vs peso rates and it affects all of us - including maids and gardeners. No doubt that the costs of many things here at lakeside have gone up. People who don't make much money are affected quite a bit when costs increase even modestly. We gave our helpers a nice raise this year and they were very appreciative.

Good for you!!!

I'm no expert on global economy but I know a country's currency exchange rate is based on investors and their faith in the nation's ability to produce.  That said we can assume our countries are dong better than theirs.  Logical.

There is only one reason a Mexican product should see a rise in price; the cost of petro to transport and the maintenance of his vehicle....and/or government intervention.  

Logically an imported product depends on the petro factor and the exchange rate.  It's a Catch 22.  The higher the standard of living gets in his country, the less purchase power he has once he reaches, say, Texas.  So his purchase was X$ but while he was away the exchange rate took a bite of that too.

If any of you were here to witness the the crash about 15-20 years ago when the New Peso was introduced you'd see how a Mexican can rightly be nerved.  Overnight their spending power was one half, if I remember correctly.

News articles about how the Peso is coming back are frequent, in fact there's a new out today.   Speculators.  How could that happen while a Mexican's spending power is knee-deep in mud?

Since you like~appreciate your maid & gardener, consider increasing their pay at least by the amounts that their local living costs have increased.

2018's PEMEX gas prices have generally increased 20% from  2017.

Mexico imports about 45% of her food,  so  the MXN peso exchange rates   DO   affect Mexican's food costs.

Mexico's monthly market basket prices increased between 3% to 11% =>  6.6% annual average.**

When basic fuel & food costs increase between 7%-20%,  does it really make sense to give no wage increases ... or just 2% increases ... to employees we say we appreciate?

If we're paying them $300 pesos for a house cleaning,  then a 7% increase (that only barely covers their living-costs), costs  the US expat just an extra  ~$1 USD~   for every cleaning.

Is a $1 USD increase  "too much" ?

**https://tradingeconomics.com/mexico/food-inflation

Mexico Food Inflation

Mudgirl, I am starting to like you. Especially when you take on moshallow on other threads. Many people live and work here for pesos, not any kind of dollar. Those who do feel the rising costs just like the locals. I give my cleaning lady a bump when I feel the pain and I know she must be feeling it too. But I won't put up with some, like a friend's maid who demanded a raise from 50 (already the top of the scale as far as I am concerned) to 60, or she'd quit. I say let her quit; there are lots of people willing to work for an acceptable hourly wage. All she is going to get is jobless and no termination money.

Archived