Chapala.com Webboard

Most Beautiful Country to Visit or Retire

modeeper

Costa Rica, Thailand.

Costa Rica is tiny.  I think it's about 50X80 miles.  

Fact: There are more species of fauna and flora in that little area than in all of North America including Mexico. 

There are monkeys swinging around, flocks of exotic parrots passing over, tigers, florescent insects as big as a mouse.

They are a handsome race.  Lots of folks with green, blue gray, eyes, curly hair, pearly teeth. Speak Spanish as it is written in your Spanish text.

Non violent to the max.  They disbanded the military in the 60s and invested the proceeds to musical instruments.   

Once on the city streets of San Jose I saw a guy grab some woman's purse, she started screaming. 10 seconds later about 30 people engulfed him.

Beautiful beaches!  In fact Costa Rice, small as it is, has more coastline than California.  

Don't know diddly about immigration policies these days.

Thailand:  Looks a lot like Costa Rica minus the fauna.  I think it's all been eaten. :P

Another handsome race.  Smallish people with bronze skin and pearly teeth.  Buddhists.  Damn their mentality is hard to adjust to.  They are a noisy people.

Any excuse to party, like Mexicans. 

10 degrees off the Equator, hot and humid at the coast, delicious at higher altitudes.

Food is wonderful, hotter than Mexican food.  They use curry and chile.

There are a few drawbacks; your visa is only good for 30 days, but easy to renew cause all you have to do is cross into a neighboring country and return, doesn't matter if your U-turn is a matter of minutes, and there are lots of neighboring countries.  For residency you have to show a certain sum of money in your bank account.  When I was there it was 40K usd.  There were and still are a good number of public demonstrations, airport closures and the like.  Now that The King has passed I have no idea what goes on there.  Haphazard people beyond imagination.  You know, afterlife and all that?

It's cheap to live.  The Thais are probably poorer than Mexicans.  Unlike Mexico the people in general aren't really all that interested in knowing you, with the exception of working girls.  Their word for Gringo is Farang.  Doesn't mean foreigner it means, not Thai.  

Bangkok is a trip.  Somebody should sell bottles of fresh air, they could earn a fortune.  Great shopping!  Excellent beaches, cheap as chips.

I did seven years there.  The feature most difficult for me was the fact they're not a Christian society.  I mean it's not like I couldn't find a church to my liking, it's more like their morality is from another planet. 

I cheapest flight I ever got was 650usd one way, 16 hours.  Damn, if you could drill a hole in Southern Mexico through the Earth and passed through it you'd be hailing a taxi in Bangkok, fighting off the prozies and ladyboys.

It's famous, as most of you know, for drugs and prostitution.  All that stuff is easy to avoid.  Paradise for a single man tho.

"Beautiful beaches!  In fact Costa Rice, small as it is, has more coastline than California. "

I'm trying to wrap my head around how this could be in a country of about 50X80 miles....but otherwise, your description sounds like it's a fine place to live. 

Glad you asked.  First it has a Pacific and a Gulf coast.  If you look at a map you'll see how jagged the Pacific side is.  I can't remember what they're called but there is a tool used in topographic analysis that has a little wheel you can run over the areas of a map that calculates distance.  Go in and out of all those bays the the distance adds up fast.   At least that's what I've read. 

Yes, there is that.  Once in Guanacaste I was sitting on the front porch watching the insects walk by when a boa slipped off the roof and landed on my shoulder.

I had a friend who got caught up in the squatters rights thing.   So you can't stay away for more than 6 months and leave the place empty.  And you can't own land that's less than 100 meters from the shore.

I forgot to mention the food.  Boring is the word.  The every-day dish is called, gallo pinto.  It's a dish or bowl of rice mixed with black beans topped with a half-cooked egg, no salt, no pepper no butter nor margarine.  The seafood is good tho.  The steak is tuffer 'n guts.  Of course city life is much different, bars, discos and it seems a lot of beauty contests.  The girl with the biggest, roundest fanny always wins.:P

I occasionally like to handle the Truth, so let me add that one reason Tico ladies are regarded as more European in appearance relative to most Latin American countries involves the low density of native inhabitants in that region when it was settled, plus probably tragic epidemics.

A favorite vegan dish is simply 'pinto', white rice with black beans with Worcestershire sauce and fresh black pepper and perhaps some salsa.  Great coffee in CR, and dirt cheap  Ticos are in my experience extremely nice, as are many Thais, but TL's economy is something like 30% tourism and that shapes the space.  And Thai ladies wouldn't win any contests in San Jose.

2 hours ago, modeeper said:

In fact Costa Rice, small as it is, has more coastline than California.

The general coastline length of California is 840 miles, whereas Costa Rica's is 800. Fractals don't count.

The women of Thailand are much too assertive and are much like the Zapotec's are about family order. The  Philippines is English speaking and has the single male draws of Thailand. With over 7,000 inhabited islands, imagine their coastline's length.

3 hours ago, utilitus said:

I occasionally like to handle the Truth, so let me add that one reason Tico ladies are regarded as more European in appearance relative to most Latin American countries involves the low density of native inhabitants in that region when it was settled, plus probably tragic epidemics.

A favorite vegan dish is simply 'pinto', white rice with black beans with Worcestershire sauce and fresh black pepper and perhaps some salsa.  Great coffee in CR, and dirt cheap  Ticos are in my experience extremely nice, as are many Thais, but TL's economy is something like 30% tourism and that shapes the space.  And Thai ladies wouldn't win any contests in San Jose.

Tica ladies.  Oh San Jose, you could go blind there.  What makes that 30% tourism worse is the type of tourist, drunken Brits mostly.  But you don't have to live in BKK.  I could never stay there more than 4 days.  

3 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

The general coastline length of California is 840 miles, whereas Costa Rica's is 800. Fractals don't count.

The women of Thailand are much too assertive and are much like the Zapotec's are about family order. The  Philippines is English speaking and has the single male draws of Thailand. With over 7,000 inhabited islands, imagine their coastline's length.

Thai family order to you is what I call whoring in BKK and sending your dosh to your father in Issan.  We used to call Issan girls, monkey feet.

Zapos?  I lived two years in Teotitlan del Valle.   Savages!:P

Nah, Philippine girls are not for me, too wide and planky.

One thing I noticed in CR is there are about 5-6 facial types and 5-6 body types.  And walking down the street you can see the tops of everybody's heads.  Talk about a limited breeding pool.

1 hour ago, el bartman said:

Interesting as this may or may not be, "This board is for people with interest in the Lakeside area and in moving to Mexico."   or so I thought.  Just sayin'

I thought of that.  But from what I know about forums the lurkers out-number the members about 10:1.  And since your lake is a popular retirement site ..... 

Where does it belong, not in the Mexico forum, it's not about Mexico.  Good Places to Retire Forum?  Just sayin like.

26 minutes ago, modeeper said:

Thai family order to you is what I call whoring in BKK and sending your dosh to your father in Issan.  We used to call Issan girls, monkey feet.

Zapos?  I lived two years in Teotitlan del Valle.   Savages!:P

Nah, Philippine girls are not for me, too wide and planky.

One thing I noticed in CR is there are about 5-6 facial types and 5-6 body types.  And walking down the street you can see the tops of everybody's heads.  Talk about a limited breeding pool.

No one gives a rat's ### about how you rate women's bodies.  Get lost.

Oh then you don't live in Mexico?  Or better, your physical self is here.  Me Too arrives to my home via The Internet, and I'm all for it, cause I have young females as relatives. 

I checked my socialization into a locker at the airport.   Why?  Because I left there for here.  This forum isn't there, it's here.  We're called, Trans Cultural Expats and not tourists who came with their furniture.   Are Trans Cultural folks not welcome here?  Are you a mod?   God y'all are so delicate.  

7 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

ZZZz.png

I think I know something about you, please indulge me ... You left school early on the help your pa with the chickens.  You like to play banjo on your front porch.  Your wife ran off with a trucker.  You are from somewhere along the Trans Canada Highway (I think it's called, The Queenie) just north of Mon. and S.D., that stretch that's famous for man-eating mosquitoes.  Am I warm?   

Just joking friend.  10-4 good buddy!

9 hours ago, bmh said:

You lived in Teotitlan del Valle? Where teching some English while there?

No, I was there for thesis stuff.  Do you know the town?   RU a rug person?  

9 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Seems to me O.P. would be better off joining a forum consisting of 15 year old boys. More in his league. Mods- why do you allow this guy to keep posting his misogynistic and xenophobic rants? Not to mention his personal attacks on other posters.

Personal attacks?  That's a good one.  Anyone with a three-digit IQ can see I'm a counter puncher.   Ya see these guys could put me on ignore, but they love to hate so they don't.  And xenophobic?    intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries.  Get a grip, Mud.

Archived