Chapala.com Webboard

In Your Opinion

hensley

In Your Opinion, would you travel from Chapala to Texas on Easter day?

If you stayed in a hotel on the MX side of the border, where would you stay?

Coming from Houston where would you stay on your way back in MX?

There was a hotel we saw years ago before that was out in the middle of nowhere like about 1 or 2 hours from the border and many people said the cops stay there also. I can't remember what it was called or what town it was in, anyone remember?

I have traveled the other direction on Easter day and there was NO traffic to speak of.

Route and overnighting depends on your preference. MOST folks drive to/from Pharr crossing-Ajijic in one day.....  I think that it is an 11 hour trip. Doable in my books but maybe not yours. MC does it all the time and sure he will comment. So if you left Houston leisurely you could drive to Pharr in 5-6 hours and overnight in the US. Then hook it home the next day without overnighting. I have not heard mentioned any layovers on that route so can not comments.

Or you could drive on highway 59 from Houston to Laredo and down that route.... they are about the same distance. You could overnight in Monterrey (nice hotels out by the airport just a few miles out of the way) and to Ajijic from there is 500 miles so less of a blitz.

12 hours ago, hensley said:

There was a hotel we saw years ago before that was out in the middle of nowhere like about 1 or 2 hours from the border and many people said the cops stay there also. I can't remember what it was called or what town it was in, anyone remember?

Yes.  It is immediately before the junction of Ruta 101 and Ruta 97.  Hotel Rancho Viejo, north side of the street.  We have never stayed there.  Heavy police presence at that junction every time we have gone through there.  Reviews on the web not so good.

I get to the border crossing in under 10 hours with the new roads and I recall you drive even faster than I do.  I wouldn't expect a lot of traffic.  Going through Monterrey is out of your way if crossing at Pharr and there have been a number of problem reports on Ruta 2 between Monterrey and Reynosa.  Definitely stay away from Reynosa using the Pharr bridge bypass.  

Very good selection of hotels in all price ranges in Pharr/McAllen though you may find prices up and availability down over a holiday.  Check and book before you go.

We have driven that route a few times.  We overnight in Pharr and then do one more night in San Luis Potosi the next night.  You can do the Mexican portion in one day if you leave very early from Pharr, but we like to leisurely drive and avoid night time driving and the trip from SLP the next day is only 4-5 hours.  There are multiple hotels in SLP and we haven't done it since the new northern toll road was finished, so others may have more current data on hotels there.

12 hours ago, hensley said:

Monterrey sounds like a good stop on the way back.

I would not recommend going throught Pharr/Reynosa to get to Monterrey.... I’d go through Laredo. “Maps” suggest that it is only about 30 minutes longer Houston to Ajijic going through Laredo as opposed to Pharr. Fewer tolls through Pharr but one has to decide for themselves whether they want to go that route..... Pharr to San Luis Potosí vs Laredo to SLP.

If you decide to go through Laredo to Monterrey to overnight there, I’d suggest that you get a hotel by the airport. That requires you to deviate a bit from your route there (go back east) to the airport for maybe 10 minutes. Otherwise I don’t know where there are any hotels on that outer loop of Monterrey. I’ve done the ‘airport stay’ a couple of times.... several hotels to choose from and restaurants. 

Sounds like the old way and not going to Monterrey is the way to go. It just seemed like a stressful way to go but we haven't done it in like 8 years. We also had trouble when we first came through Laredo of having trouble finding our way and some kid jumped on our back bumper and helped us which I would have never figured out. You know when you had trouble on a route years ago and then haven't done it in that long it makes me nervous. When we went to Nogalas we didn't even take a map since we had such great driving directions and it was hard to get lost, but the construction is terrible we have decided not to go that route for a while. We crossed at Pharr and it was very easy.

It will have an impact at the Texas border crossings due to the large number of related families along both sides of that border.  Could be slow crossing depending on timing.   If you get a really early start from here, like 5 AM you could easily get there before the crowd returning from MX to TX after visiting family.

Think we have decided to leave a week earlier, and since there are so many different routes everyone uses we need to figure out which way is best for us to go.

Archived