Chapala.com Webboard

RFC. Here is What it is

sm1mex

RFC is a tax I.D. number for Mexico.  The letters stand for Registro Federal de Contribuyentes.  The Mexican Tax Administration Service assigns a unique number for each person.  I do not pay Mexican taxes but I do have to have an RFC number for my insurance facturas, ro any factura, and now for car tag renewal.

Here's the link. Have your CURP ready and you can get it online.

http://www.sat.gob.mx/contacto/citas/Paginas/tramites_por_internet.aspx

SAT > CONTACTO > CITAS > TRÁMITES POR INTERNET
   Fuente Pequeña    Fuente Mediana    Fuente Grande                     Imprimir  Imprimir               24x24_facebook.png        
TRÁMITES POR INTERNET

Inscripción en el RFC y movimientos al RFC
Si eres mayor de edad, sólo necesitas tu CURP y una cuenta de correo electrónico. Inscríbete.

I just looked at this year's car insurance policy and found an R.F.C. number on it with my name above it.  Can I assume it is my number not the agent's.

Someone mentioned it should have some of your information such as a birth date woven into the R.F.C>. number.  The number on the insurance policy does not.  My curp number does.

Banks, insurance companies, etc, will often assign a generic RFC # to a gringo's account, because they assume we don't have an official one. So don't assume that just because there is an RFC # on something, that it is correct. I had to advise my bank 3 times that they did not have my correct RFC# on my account before they finally changed it to jive with my other official stuff.

RFC explained here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/real-estate.html

As per post above various institutions may assign an RFC but it is not an official RFC.

• Thanks 1

My insurance agent explained that companies often create a generic RFC to fill out forms, especially for foreigners who don't have one. So the RFC numbers on my insurance forms weren't usable for other purposes, as Sonia explained.

However, she also got a "real" RFC for me and gave it to me.

Cedros, based on what we've learned out about many companies just filling out their internal forms with a number they make up for you, you probably be well advised to use the number you got yourself. From what we can deduce, many companies have to fill out forms and the old entry of "n/a" (not applicable) won't be accepted by their computer system.

You can get RFC online but need to be careful how you fill things out so as not to generate tax reporting requirements.  Many listed on insurance and bank stmts are made up or generic.  If you dont have one there are ways to regiter your car, we have some workarounds.

On 1/4/2018 at 5:52 PM, sm1mex said:

Your RFC will have 4 letters pertaining to your first, middle and last name, your birth date and then a letter and 2 numbers at the end.  It will be 13 characters.

I have many "Generic RFC#s assigned all are obviously generic all 00 11 & xx. The most recent (Car Insur) matches your example with the exception ending 2 Alpha's 1 Numeric in that order. I will inquire if this is an actual "Official RFC #" If not I will politely request that they apply on behalf of both of us.  Do not want to generate any tax reporting requirements.

Walked into our Agents Office this AM walked out 3-4min later with RFC# for both!! $600 mxp Bonus. They only req'd our "Full Names"

5 hours ago, mkshawn said:

I have many "Generic RFC#s assigned all are obviously generic all 00 11 & xx. The most recent (Car Insur) matches your example with the exception ending 2 Alpha's 1 Numeric in that order. I will inquire if this is an actual "Official RFC #" If not I will politely request that they apply on behalf of both of us.  Do not want to generate any tax reporting requirements.

Your insurance co. will not apply for an official RFC for you. They have no authority to do so. It is something you have to do for yourself, with or without the assistance of a facilitator.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 years later...

I do not work , do not have a Mexican income but use my RFC a lot. for receipts when I need a factura, to get reimbursed by insurrance, by companies or organizations..  Yes there are 4 letters connected to your name, your birth year(2 digits)  month and day of birth and mine has 2 letters and a number.. If I want to print my statement from bancomer ,the password is the RFC minus the last 3 digits  so how do people  print the statement without RFC?

The bank had a RFC on the statement but when  tried to use it to get a factura, it did not work... so I went to SAT and they issued a new number for me.

12 hours ago, ellenk said:

Do I need a RFC? I am retired here and don't plan to make any money. I wanted to apply for IMSS but it asks for RFC 

We are retirees also.  Needed RFC to register our car in Jalisco and also to get drivers licenses.  Not surprised that IMSS asks for one, also.