Chapala.com Webboard

Premium Gas Availability

Has anyone had success this week obtaining the red handled Premium Gas at the Pemex in West Ajijic this week.  If I drive to Pemex West anymore to find out I'll run out all together.  Libramiento out as well.   There was some available in central Ajijic but I prefer not to go there. 

Just put some regular gasoline in your car, then go directly to Autozone and buy some antiknock gasoline additive used to reduce engine knocking and increase the fuel's octane rating. Gasoline is a fuel mixture. Premium is nothing more than regular gasoline with the addition of an antiknock additive.  Follow the directions on the bottle for the amount to put in your tank.  No need to panic, or to run out of gasoline.

Actually if your vehicle is anywhere near 'new', it will run on regular 'just fine'... surely long enough for the premium gasoline to be replenished in your area.  Anti-knock sensors and the computer will adjust the timing so as to not cause pinging. No need for an anti-knock additive purchase.

If one is interested in reading an up-to-date article on all this, try:  https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/to-save-money-on-gas-stop-buying-premium.html

Within that article one can also find a list of all vehicles that REQUIRE premium vs RECOMMEND premium.

Premium Required

Premium Recommended

Yep, west side Pemex didn't have premium on Monday.

Still this is an improvement.  I can remember when there were widespread gas shortages over the Christmas and New Year's holidays.  We're talking no gas and a lot of closed stations.  I didn't see much of that this year.  

Archived