Chapala.com Webboard

Pregnant donkey attacked by dog - can anyone help?

feewee

Animal lovers: I have just come back from a walk and was passing near Galeana and Encarnation Rosas ( Dona Donuts street) running parallel and north of Lazero Cardenas.  There is a piece of land  owned by the Axixic indigenous people. (There is a sign on the fence) . There are two donkeys tethered there and the larger female has been badly attacked by a dog.  She is bleeding profusely from the hind quarters and from her face.   I thought it was a red cloth tied to her face but it was blood. There are some people there with her but my Spanish is insufficient to know if they are the owners or just passers by.  

Is anyone on this board familiar with the place / owners?  Does anyone know a local vet?  I am willing to help pay the vet bill if someone can connect me to a good vet who will make a house call to this donkey.  If these injuries are not treated she risks infection and apparently she is pregnant so the fetus is also at risk.

All help and advice welcome

Feewee

Feewee, call Dr. Jose "Pepe" Magana. He is used to dealing with horses and burros, and will come to the site. Tel 765-2717 office (might not get an english speaker), for an emergency I would try either of his cell phone numbers-331-182-2955 or 333-496-7078 and tell him it is urgent. Dr. Pepe speaks english and is good in a crisis situation.

Good Luck!!!

Babyface and Wookie

Thank you again for your assistance and interest. I wanted to update you ....  I checked back on the donkey today.  The kids told me the vet (Dr Pepe) had been over yesterday so I was very pleased to hear that. They had her in the covered area and I could tell they love her and were very concerned about her wellbeing. I looked at her close up myself and I could see that her wounds have been cleaned, bleeding is under control, and antibiotic powder administered.  I also learned the younger of the two donkeys was also attacked (also got vet's attention) and that it was in defending the younger one from the dog that the female sustained the deep wounds on her nose and jaw. I will spare you all the details but the wounds are to the bone - heartbreaking. She was able to eat a little bit which is a good sign. She seems a very gentle creature. The kids told me the dog that attacked her is from the MinWah restaurant. I have no way of verifying this but it really makes me uneasy that there is a dog with that kind of aggressive nature out loose around kids and other animals. 

Thanks again

Feewee

15 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Maybe one of those "super sweet" pitbulls.........

Anyway, glad to hear the donkey was attended to.

If it was a dog that did this, maybe it's the result of ignorant/negligent humans not being responsible for him/her and not helping with overbreeding of street dogs (like getting your dog spayed/newtered) when this service is FREE! 

Before you point your finger on a particular breed (that may not  have even been the type of breed that attacked), please look at the big picture.

1 hour ago, Crazydog said:

If it was a dog that did this, maybe it's the result of ignorant/negligent humans not being responsible for him/her and not helping with overbreeding of street dogs (like getting your dog spayed/newtered) when this service is FREE! 

Before you point your finger on a particular breed (that may not  have even been the type of breed that attacked), please look at the big picture.

It was 7 dogs all with owners on that street. They attacked as a pack and obviously the owners let them run free. I was at a friend's house just now and Pepe showed us the pictures of the wounds. HORRIBLE! One of them was a German Shepard.

Interesting friends of mine got their dog torn up by a German shepherd.. That one came from a property off upper Emiliano Zapata. The entrance to the property is on the next street but the shepherd can lget out via a field off Priv Emiliano Zapata. It took a year for the dog to heal from its wounds.

That is not very far from there , I wonder if it could be the same dog. If it is the same dog, it is very dangerous to other dogs.. Also packs have a life of their own and the meekest dog can turn vicious in a pack. 

The donkeys must have been ovrwhelmed because  they can kick very hard.. they are put with the sheep in California to protect the sheep from coyotes . 

Archived