Chapala.com Webboard

Needlepushers' Mission Continues

bdlngton

Needlepushers' mission continues. We just finished gifting about 200 hand knit sweaters plus knit caps and purses to children in Ixtlahuacan and Chapala. Our next distribution is dresses and vests before Holy Week. Our need for donations continues--yarn, fabric, sewing notions, and we even accept cash! All can be left at the Lake Chapala Society office and are greatly appreciated by Needlepushers members and the children who benefit from the work we do. If you would like to join Needlepushers come to a meeting any Tuesday at 10:00 AM in the house on the south campus of LCS.  If you would like to accompany us on a distribution, please message me.  We thank you for your interest and generosity.

Do you teach sewing to the local women where they can sew for their families? You know, teach a man to fish? Basic, simple dresses should be easy to master, even for a beginner. Do very many show an interest in learning to sew? Are the volunteers that sew on a rigid timetable to get x amount done in a short time? Just wondering because if I get under pressure with my sewing I begin to consider it a chore I do not enjoy. And I procrastinate as much as possible.

http://lakechapalasociety.com/public/needlepushers.php

Note the from the Lake Chapala Society website:  There is also a photo and further info;

Needlepushers is an organization of international ladies that knit, crochet and sew clothes for poor Mexican children living in the Lake Chapala area.

Originated in 1962 by Neill James in honor of her mother, an avid knitter, Needlepushers have been knitting, crocheting and sewing for needy children in the lakeside area for over half a century. The products of these hardworking volunteers are distributed throughout lakeside communities and in the surrounding mountain villages. The work and the results are amazing!

Please join us.

The group meets every Tuesday, 10am – 12pm in the property behind Lake Chapala Society, for contact information email Susy Wright at susyguera@yahoo.com or Wendy Hamblin at kamytoo@yahoo.com.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:21 PM, bdlngton said:

Needlepushers' mission continues. We just finished gifting about 200 hand knit sweaters plus knit caps and purses to children in Ixtlahuacan and Chapala. Our next distribution is dresses and vests before Holy Week. Our need for donations continues--yarn, fabric, sewing notions, and we even accept cash! All can be left at the Lake Chapala Society office and are greatly appreciated by Needlepushers members and the children who benefit from the work we do. If you would like to join Needlepushers come to a meeting any Tuesday at 10:00 AM in the house on the south campus of LCS.  If you would like to accompany us on a distribution, please message me.  We thank you for your interest and generosity.

I was going to pm you but could not. I can get you a lot of material. Could you Pm me and maybe include an email address.

This is good, encourages a skill that if mastered well enough, can bring in income. I am nob but if I was there, this is something I would be involved in. I believe empowering the women, even in small ways, would be a good thing. Having a little pride in an accomplishment well done is good for self esteem and helping their families with the work of their hands would bring a special joy in their hearts. (I believe)

12 hours ago, Belle said:

Do you teach sewing to the local women where they can sew for their families? You know, teach a man to fish? Basic, simple dresses should be easy to master, even for a beginner. Do very many show an interest in learning to sew? Are the volunteers that sew on a rigid timetable to get x amount done in a short time? Just wondering because if I get under pressure with my sewing I begin to consider it a chore I do not enjoy. And I procrastinate as much as possible.

Our mission does not include teaching others to sew but,gas someone else commented, Tepehua in Chapala does do sewing classes. 

There is no pressure on Needlepushers members to meet any quota.  Some just come to meetings to help by sewing on buttons and stitching hems.  No pressure.

Archived