Chapala.com Webboard

shipping medication to Lakeside from NOB

On 12/29/2017 at 5:08 PM, blankletmusic said:

I get all my meds from VA in the states. They will not ship outside the US, so I'd need someone (whom I already have) to ship to Lakeside. Which way works the best?

I'm sure there are some inherent issues here......

Just found this

"Patients can take a hard copy of the prescription and the episode-of-care authorization form to the VA medical facility or, for urgent situations, to a local non-VA pharmacy. The VA limits prescriptions filled at outside pharmacies to a 14-day supply with no refills, and veterans must pay upfront for them. They then can submit a request for reimbursement to the VA. If providers expect urgent medications to be continued beyond 14 days, they are advised to write a second prescription for the remainder of the quantity and submit it to the VA pharmacy for processing."

There are many US veterans who are not US citizens. Some join in hopes of becoming US citizens but dont make it for one reason or another. That does not negate that they are US veterans living in a foreign country. I recently met one who was discharged after a DUI but he still received a good conduct discharge who is entitled to VA benefits. Sometimes you have to dig pretty deep to find things.

13 hours ago, chicamysterious said:

I believe there is a form for reimbursements for VA meds if you are not near a VA clinic or hispital

I think that situation would only be applicable for a veteran who was a tourist, traveling abroad and needing unexpected care or to replace lost medications, or medications for longer than a 90 day stay, etc.

I use the VA in the USA, but do not know of any way to use VA Medical as a resident abroad, with the exception of service-connected disability, which I do not have.

Otherwise, in the USA, you would need to be more than a specified distance, or travel time, from the nearest VA facility, as I recall.

3 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

I think that situation would only be applicable for a veteran who was a tourist, traveling abroad and needing unexpected care or to replace lost medications, or medications for longer than a 90 day stay, etc.

I use the VA in the USA, but do not know of any way to use VA Medical as a resident abroad, with the exception of service-connected disability, which I do not have.

Otherwise, in the USA, you would need to be more than a specified distance, or travel time, from the nearest VA facility, as I recall.

RV,  you are indeed correct. The ONLY coverage for VA Medical outside the US is for your service-connected disability. The last line of your post refers to the Choice program, specifically 40 miles or more from the nearest VA facility or if VA cannot schedule you with an appointment within 30 days. They then, by law, have to refer you to a non-VA provider. I have been seen by several Choice/Tricare providers since this became law several years ago.

3 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

You could be right about non connected. But the changes keep happening. They are doing all kinds of things and proposing all kinds like going to your own doctor if you are x miles away like you said. 

What i do know is the VA doesn't even know all the rules.

I still think you should search the forms.

On 12/30/2017 at 8:15 PM, AngusMactavish said:

I just have a plain VA Healthcare Enrollment card. No disabilities of any kind.

Just spoke with VA today and brought up your situation. You should call and ask about the "choice program". If you don't live near a VA you can choose your Doctor. He wasn't sure about meds but said if they do let you do the meds they will have to be medication that is available in US also. Some meds in Mexico are not approved in US

1 minute ago, chicamysterious said:

Just spoke with VA today and brought up your situation. You should call and ask about the "choice program". If you don't live near a VA you can choose your Doctor. He wasn't sure about meds but said if they do let you do the meds they will have to be medication that is available in US also. Some meds in Mexico are not approved in US

Would you please share the phone number to call?

On 12/30/2017 at 9:31 PM, modeeper said:

I fold.

I spoke with VA today. I Brought up your situation. You should call and ask about the "Choice" Program. If you do not live within x amount of miles to a VA then you can choose your own doctor. He wasn't sure how they would handle meds but he said you should Investigate.

Just ask about the "Choice" Program or card

15 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Would you please share the phone number to call?

I use an app to call it's us toll free 800-827-1000. You can't dial that on Mexican landline there is a strange way of doing it you have to replace the 800 with another number but I see a another number there and they should be able to connect you or give you a good number it's 713-794-7288 and 713-791-1414 actually just found a better one And its the main regional office number is 713-383-1999 I would try this one first

If you have trouble let me know

18 minutes ago, chicamysterious said:

I spoke with VA today. I Brought up your situation. You should call and ask about the "Choice" Program. If you do not live within x amount of miles to a VA then you can choose your own doctor. He wasn't sure how they would handle meds but he said you should Investigate.

Just ask about the "Choice" Program or card

Thanx, nice of you.  What a relief.  I was feeling like a pregnant donkey who'd been mauled by a dog.

Well still not sure about Mexico but i discussed it with the rep. He said to pursue it. I use to live in the boonies deep country. We called the nearest paved road the blacktop. I didnt walk a mile to school but i did to get our Mail. That's where Our box was on the blacktop. School was much further That kind of country and I remember them telling me about a program for vets that didn't live or was difficult to travel to VA facility..

Just keeping you guys in mind.

And if Mexico is a problem there are American born and educated and licensed doctors working here. For all I care they could use a Laredo texas handy mail as billing address. Are you reading between the lines here?

You also have to realize that there are Mexicans who joined the us Service maybe trying to get citizenship but didn't. They live here. They are US Veterans. How do they get my their benefits?

6 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I use AT&T for cell service and can dial a US 800 number just like I was in the US.

Thank you for your concern and information.

I actually shouldn't take the credit it's my Former Marine Husband. I write in his behalf. He doesn't like this site. I just told him about it and he has given me the things to write.

5 hours ago, chicamysterious said:

I actually shouldn't take the credit it's my Former Marine Husband. I write in his behalf. He doesn't like this site. I just told him about it and he has given me the things to write.

hahaha.  You're my kind.  Once in awhile cool people come up here.  That's why I can't dislike the site.

The military certainly changed me.  And like you, and your husband, I like helping.  The problem is it's best not to help in a military manner.  Frankness seems to offend round here.  

1 hour ago, modeeper said:

hahaha.  You're my kind.  Once in awhile cool people come up here.  That's why I can't dislike the site.

The military certainly changed me.  And like you, and your husband, I like helping.  The problem is it's best not to help in a military manner.  Frankness seems to offend round here.  

Up a little late aren't  we.  Or is it early. This was the time in the morning to eat breakfast and hit the fields for some picking before the sun came up and got to hot

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/3/2018 at 2:28 PM, chicamysterious said:

Well still not sure about Mexico but i discussed it with the rep. He said to pursue it. I use to live in the boonies deep country. We called the nearest paved road the blacktop. I didnt walk a mile to school but i did to get our Mail. That's where Our box was on the blacktop. School was much further That kind of country and I remember them telling me about a program for vets that didn't live or was difficult to travel to VA facility..

Just keeping you guys in mind.

And if Mexico is a problem there are American born and educated and licensed doctors working here. For all I care they could use a Laredo texas handy mail as billing address. Are you reading between the lines here?

You also have to realize that there are Mexicans who joined the us Service maybe trying to get citizenship but didn't. They live here. They are US Veterans. How do they get my their benefits?

I met this morning with the Service Officer Tom at the American Legion in Chapala. He is trained in all facets of veteran's rights. He told me that the Choice program only applies to veterans with service connected disabilities. He also told me that I would have to travel NOB for any and all services.

Archived