Chapala.com Webboard

Cost of living increases for maids & gardeners

lakeside7

18 hours ago, modeeper said:

Now there's a bold statement! 

If there is a place in Mexico where the help is better paid it wouldn't be a place filled with Canadians (and I'm not assuming you are).  We Yanks are gun-crazy, we vote for stupid political candidates,  we have a thousand social shortcomings, we love war, but we're not cheap, we tip, we pay help well, and we pay our own dental bills. :huh:  Y'all are famous for your frugality.  What is it, a form of Calvinism?  

Actually, Canada has a minimum wage ($II.43 CAN/hr. average) that all employers must pay to all workers, no matter what line of work they are in. Unlike the US where minimum wage for wait staff is $2.13/hr.US. Who's cheap?

In fact, as opposed to being cheap, Canadians often don't realize that workers in other places aren't paid anywhere close to a living wage, the employees depending on tips to barely survive.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Actually, Canada has a minimum wage ($II.43 CAN/hr. average) that all employers must pay to all workers, no matter what line of work they are in. Unlike the US where minimum wage for wait staff is $2.13/hr.US. Who's cheap?

In fact, as opposed to being cheap, Canadians often don't realize that workers in other places aren't paid anywhere close to a living wage, the employees depending on tips to barely survive.

Yes I know.  I lived near the boarder for years.  Sorry but y'all have a reputation for us just like we have a reputation for y'all.  My ex who worked at a Holiday Inn used to claim she could tag a Canadian in 10 seconds.  

In my life's occupation as an EFL teacher working abroad I met and worked with maybe 2 to 3 hundred Canadians.  Think of it .. you have 1/10 our population and your ubiquity as EFL teachers in Asia might be as high as 70-80% more than Yanks.  Why it that?  

So the point being .. my impressions didn't come by way of star dust caused by planetary alignment.  

But this is the sterling clue in your post:  Yes you are paid better so there isn't a point in tipping.  But you come to someone else's country and you take the Canadian with you.  That's all so apparent from reading these types of OPs that discuss how Mexicans (Your Hosts) should or should not be compensated.   If I were to leave for China next month for a teaching job, or whatever,  you can bet I'd be at my computer about 10 hours a day boning up on cultural dos and don'ts, not to mention language acquisition.  Ya see I realize The USA is not the center of the Universe.  Canada even less so.

5 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Has pedro returned somehow?

A sus ordenes!  :huh: 

You mean to say there was someone else who often disagreed with what he read here?  I bet he didn't last long.

If you had "boned up on cultural do's and dont's" before coming back to this board, you woulda kept your mouth shut this whole time.

And "disagreed with" is not the phrase you are looking for. "Making an ### of himself at the expense of others and truly lacking in manners" is more accurate. You joined his club the minute you put your foot in your mouth.

2 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Hahaha, hahahaha!

Some of you guys remind me of the news story about the bakery that refused to bake a cake for a same-sex couple.

As the court decided, once your front door is unlocked your store becomes a public place.  This forum is a public place.

Since www means world-wide-web do you not expect viewers who are not part of your tight little community might sign on and disagree with you?  

6 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

If you had "boned up on cultural do's and dont's" before coming back to this board, you woulda kept your mouth shut this whole time.

And "disagreed with" is not the phrase you are looking for. "Making an ### of himself at the expense of others and truly lacking in manners" is more accurate. You joined his club the minute you put your foot in your mouth.

Are you the owner or at least a mod?  I'm always happy when I reply to you.  If I get in your face I usually gain about 5 rep points during the next hour, Willis.  So you are what we'd call popular?

Ok Ok, you're superior.  Don't be cruel, I was deslexic as a child. 

If you wrecked your RV to the point it was totaled and junked would you call yourself, RV Gringo Trash?  Head'em up .. Move'em out!!!  EEEEHHHHAAAWWWW!!!!

1 hour ago, modeeper said:

Yes I know.  I lived near the boarder for years.  Sorry but y'all have a reputation for us just like we have a reputation for y'all.  My ex who worked at a Holiday Inn used to claim she could tag a Canadian in 10 seconds.  

In my life's occupation as an EFL teacher working abroad I met and worked with maybe 2 to 3 hundred Canadians.  Think of it .. you have 1/10 our population and your ubiquity as EFL teachers in Asia might be as high as 70-80% more than Yanks.  Why it that?  

So the point being .. my impressions didn't come by way of star dust caused by planetary alignment.  

But this is the sterling clue in your post:  Yes you are paid better so there isn't a point in tipping.  But you come to someone else's country and you take the Canadian with you.  That's all so apparent from reading these types of OPs that discuss how Mexicans (Your Hosts) should or should not be compensated.   If I were to leave for China next month for a teaching job, or whatever,  you can bet I'd be at my computer about 10 hours a day boning up on cultural dos and don'ts, not to mention language acquisition.  Ya see I realize The USA is not the center of the Universe.  Canada even less so.

Blah blah. Every Canadian I know always tips in restaurants, no matter which country they are in.

59 minutes ago, modeeper said:

Some of you guys remind me of the news story about the bakery that refused to bake a cake for a same-sex couple.

As the court decided, once your front door is unlocked your store becomes a public place.  This forum is a public place.

Since www means world-wide-web do you not expect viewers who are not part of your tight little community might sign on and disagree with you?  

No one minds disagreement here. Your posts are arrogant and dripping with disrespect to other posters.

9 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Your posts are arrogant and dripping with disrespect to other posters

Oh please.  Some of us are trees, and some are leaves.  I'm just having fun, aren't you?  You know there is such a thing of scrolling by the posts you'd rather not read.  Or do you love to hate?  So what's on sale this week at Wal*Mart?

17 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

No one minds disagreement here. Your posts are arrogant and dripping with disrespect to other posters.

Just ask the moderators about how much everyone here agrees with everyone else all the time and how we can’t handle disagreements. :D

Reminds me of a new employee in my office. He was rude, arrogant, obnoxious, and insulting. He also happened to be very overweight. So guess what. He complains to the managing editor that he is being discriminated against by the other employees because he is fat. Editor asked me if that was true. I said nobody cared how much he weighed. They didn’t want anything to do with him because he was an a**hole. 

I just looked up the word a**hole.  Websters says it refers to someone who doesn't care what other people think.  Now online you can imagine how that feeling is amplified.  On the East Coast it's called, ball busting.  In Mexico it's un chingante or tormentero.  In Thailand it's Whalfherol.  In the ROK it's Hunghousan.  Just to make note these people exist, all over the World.  Some folks come from long family lines of ball busters.  They might think it's a form of affection.   Now isn't that twisted?  

The down side of working hard all your life, raising your children well, crossing your Ts, pinching your pennies, playing bridge on week end nights, being territorial, saving up for an RV,  buying expensive comfortable shoes,  drinking the best Sherry, is that you didn't get out much.  Again, these ball busters exist.  They didn't arrive by way of UFOs.  

Maybe y'all should change the rules; no teasing allowed.

21 hours ago, modeeper said:

Now there's a bold statement! 

If there is a place in Mexico where the help is better paid it wouldn't be a place filled with Canadians (and I'm not assuming you are).  We Yanks are gun-crazy, we vote for stupid political candidates,  we have a thousand social shortcomings, we love war, but we're not cheap, we tip, we pay help well, and we pay our own dental bills. :huh:  Y'all are famous for your frugality.  What is it, a form of Calvinism?  

Silly

3 hours ago, mudgirl said:

No one minds disagreement here. 

That has to be the "top" post of 2017(probably of All Time) here on Chapala.com. Happy New Year !!!! :D

The downside of making up lives for people you do not know is that you can end up being so wrong that it is amusing. At the same time you end up revealing much more about who and what you really are than you can possibly have intended.  You think if you can annoy and anger people enough they will not feel sorry for you (because you hate when people do that). I am sure that has mostly worked for you. At least if it happens on web boards you don’t see the pity in other people’s eyes. 

23 hours ago, modeeper said:

Of course.  If I wrote, cuantos anos tienes, would you gather my keyboard doesn't have an ñ?  I don't know how to say anal in Spanish.  Do you?

So is it safe to assume you mean "traigo"?  Couldn't you just answer without being snide?  It seems to me that if you are attempting to instruct people as to what to say it would be helpful to get it right. 

No, offhand I don't know how to say "anal" in Spanish but I do know how to entered ñ on at least three different types of keyboards. ?

On 12/28/2017 at 10:57 PM, bdlngton said:

Certainly unusual and disconcerting.  I would be upset if any person, let alone a business, did such an inappropriate and invasive thing to do.  And at that hour?  You might consider contact in a Zeta Gas to express your displeasure.

A Certainly unusual and disconcerting.  I would be upset if any person, let alone a business,  B did such an inappropriate and invasive thing to do.  C And at that hour?    D You might consider contacin a Zeta Gas to express your displeasure.

A, Without a verb it is not a sentence.

B, Huh?

C, Without a verb it is not a sentence.

D, contacting Zeta Gas?

People in glass houses ....

Archived