Chapala.com Webboard

Cost of living increases for maids & gardeners

lakeside7

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no official increase for any worker in Mexico.  The minimum DAILY rate is set by the government it's around 80 pesos a day.  I've seen someone before ask about official rates but I'm not sure where this erroneous rumor came from .  You pay your help whatever you and they decide on.

9 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

There is no such thing in Mexico or for that matter in the USA

There is a minimum daily wage. Don't worry. A maid or gardner in Chapal gets much more than the legal minimum. 

Possibly the highest paid maids in Mexico are in Chapala

Doubt it. Pretty hard to find a maid for anything less than 70 p. an hour in Sayulita. 300p for 4 hours seems to be about standard now.

Gosh. I pay my maids, two sisters, $50 pesos each per hour and would love to know if I should increase their hourly rate.

Up in Seattle in my condo some folks pay just over $30 US per hour for part time maids who work for a management company.

I'm getting pretty good at doing most of my condo cleaning when in Seattle

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Possibly the highest paid maids in Mexico are in Chapala

Now there's a bold statement! 

If there is a place in Mexico where the help is better paid it wouldn't be a place filled with Canadians (and I'm not assuming you are).  We Yanks are gun-crazy, we vote for stupid political candidates,  we have a thousand social shortcomings, we love war, but we're not cheap, we tip, we pay help well, and we pay our own dental bills. :huh:  Y'all are famous for your frugality.  What is it, a form of Calvinism?  

29 minutes ago, johanson said:

Gosh. I pay my maids, two sisters, $50 pesos each per hour and would love to know if I should increase their hourly rate.

Up in Seattle in my condo some folks pay just over $30 US per hour for part time maids who work for a management company.

I'm getting pretty good at doing most of my condo cleaning when in Seattle

I like you.

Get out your calculators!  It's time to to pay your help.  That's funny!  The ugly Gringos.  Remember to use the phrase, no traigo dinero and not no tengo dinero.  No traigo means I didn't bring any money.  No tengo means I can't afford it, I'm too poor to pay you more.  That way the locals won't be laughing and gossiping about you behind your back.

1 hour ago, modeeper said:

Get out your calculators!  It's time to to pay your help.  That's funny!  The ugly Gringos.  Remember to use the phrase, no trigo dinero and not no tengo dinero.  No trigo means I didn't bring any money.  No tengo means I can't afford it, I'm too poor to pay you more.  That way the locals won't be laughing and gossiping about you behind your back.

Trigo?  Wheat?  Do you mean traigo?

3 hours ago, modeeper said:

Now there's a bold statement! 

If there is a place in Mexico where the help is better paid it wouldn't be a place filled with Canadians (and I'm not assuming you are).  We Yanks are gun-crazy, we vote for stupid political candidates,  we have a thousand social shortcomings, we love war, but we're not cheap, we tip, we pay help well, and we pay our own dental bills. :huh:  Y'all are famous for your frugality.  What is it, a form of Calvinism?  

In one post, you stereotype both Americans (pay well) and Canadians (cheap) habits.    

Then, in your next post, you, an American, advise how not to give a raise.  

Neither has addressed the OP's posting.

Moderator, please note the off topic and offensive comments.

1 hour ago, bdlngton said:

Trigo?  Wheat?  Do you mean traigo?

Of course.  If I wrote, cuantos anos tienes, would you gather my keyboard doesn't have an ñ?  I don't know how to say anal in Spanish.  Do you?

12 minutes ago, Go Solar said:

Neither has addressed the OP's posting.

The OP has already been answered.  So now come the details, if that's okay with you, dry toast.

Here's the official rate set by the government (love that). The official answer from this reporter:   Sit down with your beloved help and talk to them.  Tell them, you deserve a year-end bonus.  Then you reach into your pocket and pull out two 500P notes and hand it to him.  Now this is important, you read his/her body language.  If he starts sucking his teeth staring at the floor, hand him another 1000P.  When a smile comes upon his face that becomes the official rate, shake his hand and thank him/her for their service. 

I smoke more than 1000 Pesos in a month, my dog and two cats eat more than 1000Pesos a month.   My breakfast costs almost 2000 a month and my SS is $660.  And the locals think I'm rich.

38 minutes ago, Go Solar said:

In one post, you stereotype both Americans (pay well) and Canadians (cheap) habits.

Attention, Off Topic Rant: 

Stereotype.  Something I learned in the uni in statistics class': 51% is a majority.  It'd be difficult to form your personal view of the World without assuming via generalizations now would it?  I mean, say you and your squeeze were sitting on a park bench under some trees in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park at dusk.  You see a man walking towards you wearing a half-pair of trousers and a trench coat.  Do you stay for the show or do you get up and haul it outa there?  Don't generalize, stay, you might hurt someone's feelings.  BTW, your post is also off topic.

My help gets theri pay raises on their anniversay and we do not need some two bit poster to tell us what to do. I do not give a darn what maid make in the US what has it got to do with anything anyways.

People in Mexico get paid by the day not the hour.. this hour thing is a foreigner´s idea. Cleaning people here make more than teachers, give me a break..about thee automatic raises and minimum wages and God knows what else.. Mind your own business we are going just fine Modeeper.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

You do realize no one gives a crap about your diatribes? No, you probably don't. The need to feed your troll is just too big.

I just noticed something.  If I divide your likes into your posts I get 2.3.  With mine I get 4.3. You are king, Willis!

39 minutes ago, bmh said:

Mind your own business we are going just fine Modeeper.

Yes, I'm sure you are.  And thanks for educating me on how in Mexico the pay isn't per hour.  Ya see I just got here last week.  And before that I lived in a closet.   

Let them eat cake, eh?

Gee modeeper don't you remember when there were no "likes" and "dislikes" on this forum"? ComputerGuy had well over several thousand posts on this forum before the rating system was even implemented.

Yawn, you're very boring and tedious... but I do find it amusing the way you keep blaming your keyboard on your errors.  

“If I divide your likes into your posts I get 2.3.  With mine I get 4.3.” 

The sad part about this is that a grown man actually looks up how many “Likes” he has received and compares his count to someone else’s. He even takes the time to do some math and claim superiority over the number of “Likes” his posts have gotten as though somehow that count makes him a better man. I am not sure sad is even the right word. Maybe pathetic is more like it. 

Archived