Chapala.com Webboard

Libre Office

hensley

Has anyone used this?

I had someone do all my install on my new computer when I got it and all of a sudden this past week it says that my windows expires and I will have to pay to keep it. Well today I am not getting that message and everything seems to be fine. But just in case has anyone used Libre Office and is it like Word?

I have lots of documents in Word and I would hate to lose them!

Your new computer would have Windows already installed. If it was built locally, it may have had an unregistered copy of Windows.

However, it sounds like you may be talking about Office, and not Windows itself. Same situation. But you can also use Kingsoft WPS Office Suite, which... like LibreOffice... is more or less a clone of the Office concept. The difference is WPS actually looks a lot like MS Office, whereas the others do not really.

I have used MS Office for many years. It has a myriad of things that even as a professional I will never use. However, after trying all the "clones", I have to say it is still the best.

That being said, it is not necessary to spend the money when the other programs are available... for most people who do basic documents and spreadsheets, they are more than enough. I recommend Kingsoft as the most powerful and most similar to Office. As of now, many people have not heard of it. And for those using other products, absolutely no reason to change.

I am a retired tech writer and MS Word gets in my way. Incredibly annoying! I used Word Perfect and when the company where I worked switched to MS Word, I lasted about 3 weeks. After much cursing and pulling out of hair, I switched to Open Office. Later I went to Lotus Symphony - a variation of Open Office - until IBM dropped their support a few years ago. Now I use Libre Office and I love it. Elegant, easy to use and the suite includes Writer (word processing), Calc (spreadsheets), Impress (presentations), Draw (vector graphics and flowcharts), Base (databases), and Math (formula editing).

It can open any Word doc or docx and save as so they are essentially the same.

I expect you have Office 360 that charges I think a monthly or annual fee. Big waste of $$$ IMHO.

Archived