Chapala.com Webboard

Has anyone used Ray Cawthorn as a local builder?

JustCurious

In the process of interviewing potential builders for a new house.  I've talked with Mr. Cawthorn and now would like to find some others who have used him for a remodel, an addition, built a new home, etc. to get their comments on the experience in general, the workmanship, timeliness, cost, etc.  You can post her, or send me a PM.  Thanks.

There easily could have been a misunderstanding with the name ...  I understood it to be Cawthorne, but I'll doublecheck and assume for now it may be Hawthorne.  This guy rides motorcycles when he's not building ..  that should narrow it down a bit.  He's from the US.  I'd appreciate any info ... in particular on building expertise and 'end' results.  A character ref is fine ... maybe better as a PM.  This is not intended to share his personal life ...  I'm just trying to get an idea of his building expertise.  Thanks.

Ray Cawthorne is his correct name.  I haven't had him work for me yet but planning on it soon for roof replacements and pool rehab.  A good friend of mine used him for a major renovation and the worked appeared quite excellent.  After a year, my friend is very pleased.  I watched the work in progress and complete and I was very impressed with it and I am very picky about this sort of thing.

That's second hand information but maybe it will help.

thanks to the couple of people who provided input regarding the 'work' experience and quality.  That's what I was after and would welcome more, especially for those who have used him to build a new house.  He indicated he's built a dozen or more new homes lakeside besides his experience NOB.

• 6 months later...

Thanks. I had problems with the paint on my pool deck. I had it painted 5 times with different workers but it still kept peeling off. Wrong products. Ray knew right away what product to use and his workers did a good job. It is standing up perfectly..  

I had him do a small amount of work for me, as a try-out. The quality was lacking in mamy areas, and Impolitely asked him to fix those matters. He told started i to a long story about how lots of his works live in houses with dirt floors, etc, and then told me I was "picky" (which is really offensive to ANY woman). And he never returned to fix the mistakes. 

A mutual friend told me that Ray is worn out and wants to quit, he is 72. I wish he had been honest with me up front, because after that, I had pay to have the work done all over again. AND look for another contractor. Wasted lots of time and effort.  

On 12/29/2017 at 6:13 AM, JustCurious said:

thanks to the couple of people who provided input regarding the 'work' experience and quality.  That's what I was after and would welcome more, especially for those who have used him to build a new house.  He indicated he's built a dozen or more new homes lakeside besides his experience NOB.

He is fabulous!  Wouldn't hesitate for a moment to hire him!

Archived