Chapala.com Webboard

10 yr. motor home permit

bruno

If it is a motor home you just go the same place for a TIP and say it is one. They will go inspect that it is one and do an inventory. You get your sticker. Don't worry about the specs. Be aware that the VIN is of the running gear like Chevrolet, but the make, like Allegro, isn't the model brand for the registration. It is an easy process..

10 year TIP as long as you are a tourist or temporary resident.

It seems that there is no provision for a Permanent resident to be able to have a modern motor home in Mexico. They are not sold or serviced in Mexico, there are few RV resorts anyway, and importing even a ten-year-old RV permanently would not be an attractive option for most.

I wonder if a Mexican truck or automobile dealer could import a new one from the USA, or if that would be too complicated and much too expensive.....and without warranty.

The only route I know would be IF you have a spouse, and that spouse is not also a Permanente (IS a Temporal) and that spouse’s name is on the title, then that spouse could get a 10-year TIP when the RV is brought in. 

Sure, but as soon as the spouse hit the four year limit and became permanente, neither of you could drive it, and the permit would become void by nature of your ineligible INM status, in spite of the RV being physically in Mexico. It would have to go; with a Retorno Seguro.

Catch-22

I think Mexico assumes that RVs will only be used by tourists.

That is certainly the current rule, but.....    And maybe the OP, in order to have the his/her Motorhome in Mexico, would not mind leaving the country to reapply once in eight years (after four).  The real question is.... would the Motorhome, even with a 10-year TIP permit, have to leave also with the Temporal person after four, only to return with him/her. None of us REALLY know the answer to that IMO.

Consider buying a 1 ton truck with a good sized diesel motor and converting that into a motor home.   You could even design a trailer to fit behind to carry toys.  I did it with a 3/4 ton ford chassis and a 250 cummings but should have gone with a bigger motor.    Just a thought.

Archived