Chapala.com Webboard

Los Altos Jalisco

modeeper

For years I've been hearing about Los Altos.  Mainly people telling me I should go there cause people look like me. 

I see it on the map, looks lovely, up high in the mountains .. the largest Euro population in the nation.  Anybody been there?  Are the people nice?  Are there things to do?  At lot of French settled there.  Anybody still speaking French?

My wife is from Los Altos (it's a region, not a town). She's from San Gaspar de los Reyes. It's a small town just NE of Jalostotitlan. Most people think she's American because of her light complexion and features. The area is known for the beauty of the women. I find them to be friendly as most people I've met in Mexico. Never heard of anyone speaking French though even though supposedly their ancestry is part French.

Los Altos is a target area for new dermatologists fresh out of med school..  Higher incidence of skin cancer there with the light skin people.  I've been throughout the area several times, and yes, quite a few tall, light skin Mexicans with blue or green eyes, but the French language I think disappeared a long time ago.  Yahualica is nice and of course Tepatitlan.  Worth the trip if you ask me.

I have a feeling that  the French roots are way overblown, the blond and  light eyed more likely come from the Asturias and Galicia where a lot of the Celts settled. The French may have come from the Basque or the Alps like Barcelonette.. I met people from the altos who told me they came from Europe and they had French Basque names. They told me they had strange names and they did not know where they came from, to me it was obvious... I told them they had to have Basque ancestor and no one in the family knew  , I told them to see if they could trace their name though the French Basque names.

Anyone knows any French name from Los Altos outside of Michel?  Does your wife have French names or one  French last name?

I've been to Jalostotitlán and to Santa Ana de Guadalupe.  Very interesting area of Jalisco, if you're interested in either inlaid furniture or the Guerra Cristera.  I was--and am.

yes the Lacandon live in CHiapas and I live there 8 months of the year as well..Just pointing out you do not have to be fair to get skin cancer.. The people of Los Altos are probably more in the sun thatn the Lacandones who live in the jungle  and yet they get skin cancer as well so it is not surprising that there is a high incidence in areas where people are light skinned .

If you have time there is an interesting park on the way up to Los Altos. It is in between Zapotlanejo and Tepatitlan,  Parque Bicentenario Puente de Calderon.  Very interesting history at that location when the Spanish although greatly outnumbered (6000 Spanish vs 100,000 Mexicans )got lucky with a canon shot that hit one of the Mexicans wagons that was full of ammo.  Took many years for the Mexicans to recover from that loss.

I am straying off topic here,  but out of curiosity I googled it and read that the battle only lasted about 6 hours because when the rebel's ammo wagon was hit,  the surrounding grass fields were set on fire and the Mexicans fled.  

Here is an interesting link about the history of the park.  The most interesting part in my opinion is this comment:  "Finally, think about this: Considering that it cost millions of pesos to build and furnish this ecopark, it just might be the world’s biggest monument to a victory by the enemy. Talk about openmindedness—¡Viva México!"  (I like openmindedness.)

https://en.tripadvisor.com.hk/ShowUserReviews-g1673162-d10486723-r491317475-Parque_Bicentenario_Puente_de_Calderon-Zapotlanejo.html#

Couple of fotos, 

Yahaulica 103.jpg

Yahaulica 100.jpg

Archived