Chapala.com Webboard

Cordless phone keypad question

Natasha

We have 3-handset (one on answering machine base) Panasonic digital cordless phone system. ONE of the handsets can no longer dial out because only a few of the   numbers do not "press" down when tried. No problem answering this handset.

Any bright ideas out there?    Gracias, and Feliz navidad!

I had the same problem with a TV remote and the electrical repair guy in San Juan Cosala fixed it. He could probably do the same for you.

No, not WD40. Snap it apart, grab a couple of QTips, and some acetone. Clean everything you see that moves up or down, in or out... and the motherboard. I do this with remote controls and key fobs all the time. Use a putty knife or kitchen knife to open the phone; a screwdriver will make a mess.

You can use other cleaners of course (eg denatured alcohol), but acetone is recommended, and I use it all the time. It does not denigrate plastics or electronics. It is also a darn-site cheaper than those overpriced sprays, and much better for pinpointing areas that need cleaning.

A quick Google will confirm this. Keep in mind I do repair computers and "gadgets", and have really nothing to gain by telling people something that would harm their products.

Tell that to all the devices I have repaired. But if it worries you, sure, use something else. But I have to repeat: why would I not give you the best possible advice about something like this? For one thing, the items you are cleaning will not be painted plastic or varnish.

19 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

No, not WD40. Snap it apart, grab a couple of QTips, and some acetone. Clean everything you see that moves up or down, in or out... and the motherboard. I do this with remote controls and key fobs all the time. Use a putty knife or kitchen knife to open the phone; a screwdriver will make a mess.

Thanks Mike. Watched a YouTube video on this, so am a little confident I can do without messing it up!

By thy way, your hint about NOT pulling the plug from the wall, but rather turning off power at the voltage regulator instead has resulted in ZERO problems with tower turning itself on and going back to Jan 1, 2010!!

On 12/25/2017 at 10:13 PM, ComputerGuy said:

Hey Mike.... I actually DID it!  Since you know me, you will no doubt be as amazed as I am....:D

Took the aid of your directions on one side of the screen and a YouTube video on the other, plus had to take a second handset apart to find out where a plastic "thingy" that fell out had to go, but it's WORKING!!  And believe me people, if I can do it ANYONE can do it!  So many thanks to you, Mike!

Archived