Chapala.com Webboard

NEW Mexican Citizenship Exam 2018

Joe Johnstun

• 2 months later...

How long after the SRE web site tells you that your documents have been issued, does it take for them to reach your hands? Soy una orgullosa mujer Mexicana!

22 hours ago, Niki said:

How long after the SRE web site tells you that your documents have been issued, does it take for them to reach your hands? Soy una argullosa mujer Mexicana!

It took me from late November 's issuance till mid-January. Of course, Christmas holidays affected this but the diplomatic pouch my document was in got "misdirected" from CDMX to Guadalajara; once located it had a typo in my last name; for efficacy,  we chose to fly back to CDMX to get it.. AND, note, the standard waiting time to get your passport is about 4-6 weeks after you have your doc in hand. New 2019 rules are that the issuing passport office must confirm with CDMX the authenticity of your naturalization paper...yep, the one they, themselves, just issued. And you must have an appointment through the online scheduler. 

AND, when you go for your INE: none of the emails you will get telling you which documents to bring will include that you need your CURP....the NEW printout that has the colored Mexican flag on it, not the one you've had since Day 1. Glad I took everything with me, anticipating this. No copies needed, by the way....they scanned it all.

http://www.soniadiaz.mx/citizenship.html

My client received his citizenship this week.

Yes...the new history and culture exam is a doosey. STUDY HARD.

When was the registro Civil initiated in Mexico? What Mexican won the Nobel prize in Science? Name the mexicana that won Miss Universe? Who authored "The tragedy of Tlateloco"? What school did the spaniards send the indigenous nobles to be educated in spanish ways? I flunked twice ..but third time passed.  Eight of ten needed to pass.  Each test was different.

19 hours ago, jrod said:

It took me from late November 's issuance till mid-January. Of course, Christmas holidays affected this but the diplomatic pouch my document was in got "misdirected" from CDMX to Guadalajara; once located it had a typo in my last name; for efficacy,  we chose to fly back to CDMX to get it.. AND, note, the standard waiting time to get your passport is about 4-6 weeks after you have your doc in hand. New 2019 rules are that the issuing passport office must confirm with CDMX the authenticity of your naturalization paper...yep, the one they, themselves, just issued. And you must have an appointment through the online scheduler. 

AND, when you go for your INE: none of the emails you will get telling you which documents to bring will include that you need your CURP....the NEW printout that has the colored Mexican flag on it, not the one you've had since Day 1. Glad I took everything with me, anticipating this. No copies needed, by the way....they scanned it all.

Thanks so much your your response.

Was your citizenship document mailed to you?

7 hours ago, Niki said:

Thanks so much your your response.

Was your citizenship document mailed to you?

You must pick it up in person and sign and sign and thumbprint; there's an oath to read and sign reiterating your allegiance to Mexico while on Mexican soil.

Another recommendation: after you get your document and your passport (both) ,  apply for certified copies of your naturalization document. You pay at the bank before submitting the application ($20 each) but your naturalization papers cannot be notarized by a notario, as you do other papers (license, etc.)--only by SRE. This way, you can have multiples in different places for security. It is a booger, I'm told, to try to replace the original and my attorney suggested getting multiple copies. It takes about 3 weeks. You can have them mailed or give someone (like your attorney) power of attorney to pick them up if you don't want yet another trip to Guadalajara for this reason. And your INE application takes about 3 weeks: they'll give you a pick-up date.

Thank so much for your kind response, paisano.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 2:39 PM, jrod said:

It got the call this morning to go get my papers. I was so excited and my hearing is so bad that I was a bit un-clear. I'm pretty sure she said that I don't need an appointment. Just go to SRE between 8:00 and 1:00 Monday through Thursday. Wait! You said INE, not SRE. Are they in the same building? And Where do I get my new CURP. I'm sorry for all the questions. I so appreciate the guidance you invested your time to give me.

On 3/7/2019 at 2:39 PM, jrod said:

I took the oath of citizenship yesterday. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I pick up my card in Chapala on June 17.

The need to go in person for a Federal background check changed last summer. There my sister meets clients. 

Question: is it not possible for those at lakeside to complete the Federal background check in Guadalajara? Or, currently do they too require to go all the way to Mexico City? 

thanks

soniadiaz.mx

On 6/2/2019 at 10:58 AM, Sonia said:

The need to go in person for a Federal background check changed last summer. There my sister meets clients. 

Question: is it not possible for those at lakeside to complete the Federal background check in Guadalajara? Or, currently do they too require to go all the way to Mexico City? 

thanks

soniadiaz.mx

This can only be handled in Mexico City.  

• 10 months later...

Here is a study guide for the new test with questions & answers in English. It is a compilation based on other study materials that can be found on Quizlet & Cram, but with original translations and any answer making it into the guide was vetted on Wikipedia before being copied from those other sites.

Mexican Naturalization Study Guide

Here is the same guide in Spanish.

Guía de estudio para el examen de naturalización mexicana

Here are the questions on Quizlet.

Quizlet Flashcards

The questions are changing and they keep adding new ones, so it's not enough just to study these questions or the other guides on those sites. You really have to get a broad familiarity with these subjects by reading through the study materials in the official bibliography from SRE. They list a book called Nueva historia mínima de México. This book can be found in English on Kindle and Kobo. The title is A New Compact History of Mexico. It's an official English edition of the book recommended by SRE. Even with a reasonably proficient level of Spanish (good enough to pass the test at least), the information stuck with me much better when reading and studying in my native language. I also watched a series on The Great Courses called Maya to Aztec: Ancient Mesoamerica Revealed. It's not free and you have to sign up for a subscription to view it, but the quality is top notch and I learned a lot about ancient Mexican history that I really had no idea about even after living in Mexico for a number of years and having been to many archeological sites before. You have to pay $10 / month on the quarterly plan though to see it but totally worth it in my opinion.

I passed the test last fall, first try, and these are the primary study materials I used:

-Maya to Aztec: Ancient Mesoamerica Revealed on The Great Courses (there's 48 half hour lectures)
-A New Compact History of Mexico book on Kobo (English edition of Nueva historia mínima de México)
-Some other short audio books about Mexican history from Audible
-Studied the question compilations linked to above

I have lived in Mexico for 13 of the last 19 years, and thought the history and Spanish tests would be a breeze. It wasn't though. I really had no idea how difficult it was going to be until I started looking into it more deeply right around the time I became eligible. I had wanted to apply for citizenship as soon as I became eligible, and had eagerly been waiting. I thought my problems were going to be paperwork and bureaucracy, not a very challenging exam. I had only really looked at the official requirements, and not too much at what people were saying in groups like this. But when I came across the question compilations and realized it had changed from the 100 published questions they had before, I knew there was no way I could pass that test any time soon. It took me about a year of light studying in my free time to have the confidence that I was ready to do it. For someone who is retired or doesn't work full-time, I'd guess it's around 3 months of study.

• 1 month later...

I love this information...thank you to all!  I am planning on doing this very soon, but I have a few questions.  Firstly, I see nothing about singing the anthem?  Is that required?  I am somewhat familiar with it, but I do not know it completely.  The questions on the read paragraph are they multiple choice?  Is SRE open now with covid, and do I need an appointment?  I am in Costelegre, where is the nearest location to take the test?  Colima city?

36 minutes ago, Brenda26 said:

I love this information...thank you to all!  I am planning on doing this very soon, but I have a few questions.  Firstly, I see nothing about singing the anthem?  Is that required?  I am somewhat familiar with it, but I do not know it completely.  The questions on the read paragraph are they multiple choice?  Is SRE open now with covid, and do I need an appointment?  I am in Costelegre, where is the nearest location to take the test?  Colima city?

When I took the test, the five questions on the reading were multiple choice. I did not have to sing the anthem nor recite the pledge. I just agreed  to uphold the Constitution and confirmed  understanding that when on Mexican soil, I was to follow Mexican law and consular assistance from my former country no longer was in effect here.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info so far!  To add to this list, here is one thing I learned getting things organized,  my no antededentes penales>  I live in Jalisco so they must be issued by Jalisco.  For me it would be easier to go to Manzanillo, however that is a different state.  It is not required to go to Mexico city anymore, there are several offices in each state.  For Jalisco some of them are Puerto Vallarta, Autlan, Chapala, Tonal, Tlaquepaque, and several in Guadalajara.  The federal police office here said the delagato may be able to help get the federal as the Covid 19 stay at home is still in effect.  The exam itself, for me, can be done in Colima City.

1 hour ago, nik said:

I'm wondering, to request a federal report, do you need any letter from SRE? What are the requirements to secure the federal report?

When I went in person,  they handed out an application at the door; we sat, completed the form, turned it in, were called to the desk by name and they researched online and presented the document.

1 hour ago, nik said:

For federal, you just present  passport, residency card and birth certificate and indicate this is needed for process of naturalization? 

Thank you

https://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attachment/file/501856/ANTECEDENTES_07-2.pdf

I presented Passport and Residente Permanente card, and apostilled copy of BC with translation. I had b&w copies of all.   You fill out the request form which should take 5 minutes max.  In any case they are doing hundreds daily. I did not have an appointment and was out in about 30 minutes.