Chapala.com Webboard

El Dia de los Santos Inocentes

pappysmarket

This appears in this week's PV Mirror here in Puerto Vallarta. I hope they don't mind me posting part of their editorial. It's good info for newbies and all of us to remember. I remember the issue of the GR that led with the article announcing huge cracks had been found in the lakebed and millions of liters were pouring out of Lake Chapala. They fooled more than a couple of people and have never done anything close to that since!

"For the sake of our newcomers, I should point out that this issue includes December 28th, “El Día de los Santos Inocentes”. In keeping with Mexican traditions, we have the pranks that have become the trademark of what used to be a sad reminder of a horrific passage dating back to biblical times. Since the Middle Ages, the sacrilegious have remembered this mournful event with humor - and the jovial tradition has continued to this day. On TV and in the newspapers throughout Mexico, bogus stories will appear (a UFO terrorizes the capital; all cars with registration ending in 7 must report to the police, etc., etc.), only some of which are later attributed to Los Santos Inocentes. As you leaf through this issue of the Mirror, please bear this unique event in mind, and don’t be “fooled” …like a paloma inocente!"

Thanks for reminding me, and of course, others. I am usually up North for a short visit by then but this year I will still be here on the 28th. And frankly I had forgotten all about El dia de los Santos Inocentes"

Here's a great example from the same paper.

"Vallarta Malecon in violation of environmental protection standards"

"(PVBS) - The Federal Commission for Environmental Protection (Comisión Federal para la Protección del Medio Ambiente) [CFPMA] has completed a two-year study of the Puerto Vallarta Malecon, which extends from the vicinity of the Hotel Rosita to the vicinity to the Restaurant La Palapa, a distance of 2.43 kilometers. According to CFPMA spokesperson Maria Consuela Ortega Rodriguez, the Puerto Vallarta Malecon is in violation of Federal Environment Protection Standards and must be completely removed. In its 6,746-page report to the Chamber of Deputies, the lower house of the Mexican Congress, the CFPMA sited no less than 1,212 environmental problems and concerns. The conclusion of the report highly recommends that the entire Malecon be removed and its entire length, a distance of 2.43 Km, be returned to an unencumbered sandy beach, for a distance of 20 meters (65 feet) inland from the high tide level. The Chamber of Deputies (Mexican Senate) is expected to issue a Congressional edict demanding that the removal of the Malecon be accomplished within ninety (90) days. Businesses that have a presence in this environmental sensitive area with tables, chairs, umbrellas, palapas, etc., will be ordered to remove them and restore the beach to its pristine sandy condition by the same date. This portion of the order will affect businesses from the vicinity of the Hotel Rosita to Boca de Tomatlan, a distance of approximately 22.8 Km. Representatives of the Chamber of Deputies will be meeting with affected businesses in the Vallarta Presidencia (city hall) on Thursday, December 28, from 9 AM to 4 PM to receive their requests for a delay of the Chamber’s Congressional edict. Delays may be granted on a case by case basis. The final Congressional edict is expected to be issued during the first week of January 2018. Businesses failing to comply with this edict will be heavily fined and could face confiscation of property and any and revocation of all licenses related to the operation of the business, according to Maria Consuela Ortega Rodriguez, the spokesperson for the CFPMA."

The Día de los Inocentes is traditionally a day to ask someone for a small loan--20 or 50 pesos.  The victim has usually forgotten that it is December 28, pulls out his or her wallet, and hands over the requested amount.  The trickster then recites a short verse:
"Inocente palomita que te has dejado engañar, 
sabiendo que en este día nada se puede prestar!"

"Innocent little dove, you let yourself be tricked,
Even though you knew that on this day you should never loan anything!"

Archived