Chapala.com Webboard

Superlake report

Sea

I drove by Superlake this Christmas morning and then turned around and drove by El Toritos and then home. Everything was closed. About the only store open was/is Salvador's where a very few of us had breakfast. There was absolutely no traffic. I have never seen the streets so empty of vehicles. I loved it. No I did not need anything this morning other than breakfast. It was just that the streets were so empty of traffic, I couldn't resist driving by Superlake to see that this year it was closed.

Merry Christmas everyone.

41 minutes ago, johanson said:

I drove by Superlake this Christmas morning and then turned around and drove by El Toritos and then home. Everything was closed. About the only store open was/is Salvador's where a very few of us had breakfast. There was absolutely no traffic. I have never seen the streets so empty of vehicles. I loved it. No I did not need anything this morning other than breakfast. It was just that the streets were so empty of traffic, I couldn't resist driving by Superlake to see that this year it was closed.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Did you check out WalMart!!!! Mission unfinished 

SuperLake generally has not closed in the close-to 20 years I've been here. Proof you cannot see is my turkey dinner one Christmas Day three years ago, when my pan broke and I had to go to the only open store in town to get a replacement: SuperLake. And trust me, that's the only day I cook a turkey.

Question? I entered by first going into El Barco and then walked over to Pancho's. Both businesses are at the same elevation. I seem to remember that there were fewer stairs and not so steep when you enter via BarCo. Correct me if I am wrong.

13 hours ago, kam said:

Correct, Johanson. You can enter via the easy access stairs to El Barco and walk along the outdoor front breezeway to Pancho's. I have occasional mobility issues and it is no problem for me. I hope folks try before ruling it out.

Sounds better, and I do want to check it out.  Question:  Is there a railing on the stairs to El Bar Co?

My spouse checked it out today, noticed how well it's coming together inside.  However, those three big steps going to El Bar Co are no joy,  either.  Fine, if you have no problems at all.  Go and shop.

Personally, I'm hoping for his prosperity....and a move to a place with NO steps.  Feliz Ano Nuevo, Pancho.............and to all the rest of you, too!:)

If you go far enough West toward the other end of Barco etc, isn't there even a short sloped entry allowing for someone with a wheel chair to enter? It is steep enough so that someone would have to have help pushing the wheel chair Or did I see that wrong. I was just driving by. Sorry when I looked I don't remember whether there were hand rails or not

Yes those several very steep steps have to be replaced or something.

7 hours ago, Metuchenmama said:

The steps are high and no handrail.  I won't be shopping there.

Yes the steps are too high, that is why you should use the other entrances where there are fewer steps mentioned above. Also why not let Pancho know about the problem. I would but I'm in transit to the cold north for a short visit.

How did the OP topic of: is Superlake open on Christmas and if they have a certain cranberry and fresh and canned butternut squash devolve into if Poncho's new store has steps that are easy to navigate? Get over it folks, these are 2 completely different businesses. Please keep to the topic and make it easy on folks like myself who are just trying to get the facts and are easily confused. Gracias

On 12/28/2017 at 4:08 PM, johanson said:

If you go far enough West toward the other end of Barco etc, isn't there even a short sloped entry allowing for someone with a wheel chair to enter? It is steep enough so that someone would have to have help pushing the wheel chair Or did I see that wrong. I was just driving by. Sorry when I looked I don't remember whether there were hand rails or not

Yes those several very steep steps have to be replaced or something.

According to the photo on Google Maps Street view (and my memory) there is a ramp leading into the front porch over by the furniture store, but then you would need to go up a couple of steps when you get to the front of El Barco, going across the front porch. The main El Barco entrance is three steps. There is no rail, but you could easily brace yourself on the top of the bricks to either side, theoretically. This is the same entrance you would use for the bar itself for the weekend market days.

It's really a small store.  Stocked to the utmost but just not enough room for what I was used to at Superlake.   It's smaller and less stocked than my local abarrotes but of course with more product from EU.  Yes jammed with extranjeros and little room for more than 2 people in an aisle.  But parking was ok although some of it was a tad thoughtless using the street and Pemex in which to leave cars.   Just my observations.

On 12/27/2017 at 2:57 PM, gringal said:

Pancho's challenge:  For anyone with mobility problems, be aware that there are seven steep concrete steps to get into his new place at the El Bar Co location.  I hope he prospers and moves to a more accessible location.

The steps are being changed next week.

Archived