Chapala.com Webboard

Superlake report

Sea

Superlake has signs up in the store that they will be closed for Christmas, a first.

Cranberry mini-report:

Whole, fresh packages, back in the open refrigerators by the mushrooms. Not a lot. Maybe 8 or so.

Canned, jellied and whole berry, with other seasonal food on the round counter at the back of the store, in front of the cheese counter.

Fresh and canned butternut squash. Fresh is at the end of the vegetables. Not many left. Vegetable counter was pretty bare this morning.

Sorry if I am hijacking. We have been enjoying a whole berry cranberry sauce from Costco. Brand is Bistro and is in the refrigerated section. A large container for I think $129 and it is much better than any canned stuff. Mrs. Market won't eat the canned stuff but she likes this one.

24 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Sorry if I am hijacking. We have been enjoying a whole berry cranberry sauce from Costco. Brand is Bistro and is in the refrigerated section. A large container for I think $129 and it is much better than any canned stuff. Mrs. Market won't eat the canned stuff but she likes this one.

That Costco sauce is good. But... but... it wasn't jellied, served straight out of the can, with the rings prominently displayed. Please. Let's try to stay real. :rolleyes:

43 minutes ago, Sea said:

That Costco sauce is good. But... but... it wasn't jellied, served straight out of the can, with the rings prominently displayed. Please. Let's try to stay real. :rolleyes:

We must be talking about different products, Merry Christmas.

I too went to Superlake Sat morning to get some Triskuits (spelling error).  I did not walk through the whole store, but the area I visited looked the same as it always has. Oh, they were out of diet decaffeinated Coke.

9 hours ago, El Saltos said:

In the 12 years I've lived here Superlake as ALWAYS been closed on Christmas Day.  Nothing new.  It's the ONLY day of the year they are closed.

That's weird - I've been here 11 years and, as I remember it,  Superlake has always been open on Christmas Day. Perhaps Pancho could tell us

23 hours ago, El Saltos said:

In the 12 years I've lived here Superlake as ALWAYS been closed on Christmas Day.  Nothing new.  It's the ONLY day of the year they are closed.

Pretty strong statement and of course is not correct, we have been here almost 11 years and always end up at Super Lake for some reason on Christmas day because Walmart was closed. They use to have a sign up that said open 365 days a year.

2 minutes ago, hensley said:

Pretty strong statement and of course is not correct, we have been here almost 11 years and always end up at Super Lake for some reason on Christmas day because Walmart was closed. They use to have a sign up that said open 365 days a year.

Ten years here. To the best of my knowledge Superlake has always been open Christmas Day. I can, of course, vouch only for those years I showed up on Christmas Day surprised to see so many other people also shopping. Don’t know where anyone could get the idea that Superlake has ALWAYS been closed on Christmas Day, unless they never go by there (or buy there) on the day itself and just assumed.... But, no one would do that, would they?

5 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

Why would come on a board and be snarky?  I posted what I thought to be true.  I was mistaken.

Some of us wondered about the emphatic proclamation: “In the 12 years I've lived here Superlake as ALWAYS been closed on Christmas Day.  Nothing new.  It's the ONLY day of the year they are closed.” Some of us even found it a touch snarky, as though anyone who did not know this was a fool. Perhaps we misinterpreted. Anyway, we found it interesting when you said you never go out on Christmas Day and so, in reality, had absolutely no way of knowing that Superlake was open. It is interesting. That’s all. 

Here's my take on Xmas holiday closings.

I grew up in Switzerland and probably up to the late seventies, stores closed at around 2 pm on Saturday and did not open until Monday afternoon. As for Xmas, everything pretty much shut down. As an example, if it was Friday December 23rd, most businesses would shut down at close of business day and re-open Tuesday January 2nd.

Today, its seems that NOB, only government agencies seem to get this kind of luxury.

You all have a Merry Xmas and a healthy and prosperous New year

2 hours ago, El Saltos said:

Why would come on a board and be snarky?  I posted what I thought to be true.  I was mistaken.

When you come on and emphatically pronounce that a store is ALWAYS closed on Christmas Day, and then admit later that you wouldn't know because you don't go out to shop on that day, then you have to expect people to call you out for such a blatant lie.  It's not just a matter of being 'mistaken', it's a matter of having no knowledge of the facts whatsoever that bothers other posters.

On 12/23/2017 at 10:53 AM, Sea said:

Yep, that's the way I like my jellied cranberry sauce.  Then can shape and rings are part if the experience!

Archived