Chapala.com Webboard

Visually Impaired

Toadstool

I know that the CNIB offers software (ZoomText) for the visually impaired; I have a customer who uses it. And I know the Veteran's Administration provides similar software.

And there is free software, too: https://usabilitygeek.com/10-free-screen-reader-blind-visually-impaired-users/

Also, Windows has a number of settings, depending on the level of impairment.

When Rolly was going blind, I suggested to him that he buy a large TV with an HDMI port (which also required an HDMI port on the laptop) and use it as a king size monitor. It was nice to be able to "see" the text without having to zoom in on each word. There are probably easier ways to do this now.

You may also want to private message RVgringo (on this forum) because he uses some kind of voice activated software to "read" the screen and also to type.

I have an iMac, using the High Sierra OS.  I can enlarge pages by pressing COMMAND + several times.  If typing e-mail, I can select the font size from the toolbar for all, or just a highlighted section of text.

The iMac also includes voice recognition, so that I can dictate an e-Mail, or I can speak to Siri, the Apple assistant, asking any question, directions, locations of places, etc., or even to have a message sent.  Siri has more capabilities than I know about.

The iMac also allows me to highlight text, then have it read to me by an amazingly good voice.

None of this is special software, but is available on any iMac, or laptops & notebook models by Apple; even with older operating systems.

I hope that helps.

Same is available with Windows, of course. The question becomes "how impaired?" Near blind? Fuzzy? Light sensitive, things like that. One fine lady I know who refuses to give up her music work uses Zoom software AND a magnifier, as welll as a number of other tools. When I am three feet from her, she cannot tell who I am. Except for the great jokes, of course.

Archived