Chapala.com Webboard

4,000 pesos at Handymail for a package smaller in size and weight than a VHS tape?

I obviously need to be educated on how to get things here.

I had a package. Actually a very very small box less than the size and weight of a VCR tape placed in the USPS envelope and mailed to my Handymail address. They charged me 4000 pesos.

That to me is extremely high for such a small package. I thought I read about what they accept and size.

4,000 pesos?? DHL or UPS would have been much cheaper.

How are people here getting things here larger than a letter?

OP....HandyMail does NOT accept packages sent to their Laredo address.  It says that at their website and it also says they will return any packages received in Laredo to the sender. 

Or are you saying it was sent to their local (SAT) office here??  If you have a box with them, they do not charge for accepting local delivery for you....I have had some very large packages sent there (so I don't have to wait around the house for them). They send me an email when my packages arrive and store them until I get there.  We even had gas fireplace logs set delivered there!

From HandyMail's website:

About Packages

You may receive packages at your mailbox address in Mexico.  We do not accept or ship packages at your Laredo, TX address.  The cost of sending them on down to Mexico is brutal.  The shipper's basic cost is $18.00, plus Mexican Customs Duty, plus possible weight charges, etc.  Packages sent in error will be Returned to Sender. 

1 hour ago, chicamysterious said:

I obviously need to be educated on how to get things here.

I had a package. Actually a very very small box less than the size and weight of a VCR tape placed in the USPS envelope and mailed to my Handymail address. They charged me 4000 pesos.

That to me is extremely high for such a small package. I thought I read about what they accept and size.

4,000 pesos?? DHL or UPS would have been much cheaper.

How are people here getting things here larger than a letter?

WHO charged you 4000 Pesos?  HM doesn't charge anythihg to receive packages UNLESS there were duties to be paid.

Sounds like several reasons to not use Handy Mail.

The reason I use iShop's address is all the package delivery services know where they are as opposed to them probably not knowing my residence address and me not having to spend hours waiting for them.

We have a Handymail box and have gotten expensive packages at that address 100-300 and never had to pay duty or other charges.

We simply pick up the package.

We NEVER send any package to Handymail's Laredo Texas address.  Only envelopes and magazines go to the Laredo address.

In other words we use Handymail's Mexico address for packages.

When a US shipper will not send to Mexico, we go with a different service (definitely not one that charges 50% lol) where they bring it down for us.

To the OP:  Did you send that package to Handymail's Texas address.  To simply say you were charged without indicating where it was sent or what was sent that incurred a penalty is sparse in info.  Please detail.

The man behind the counter. I do not know his name. He and a girl were behind the desk. The LCD board had my number I asked he brought me the envelope and said it was 4000 pesos I was about floored. What I read was they would accept up to 2 lbs envelope. This was an envelope but had very thin I wouldn't even say card board more like the paper board kids use for projects. Wrapped around the item

They say small packages like banks use for sending boxes of checks are fine. Mine was smaller than that.

They also say they send packages back to the sender why did they not sent mine back. I would have gotten a notification that they got the package returned and i could have sent it DHL Fedex or estafeta.

They violated their own rules

As stated above: Handy Mail does not receive packages at the Laredo address...Please read :

From HandyMail's website:

About Packages

You may receive packages at your mailbox address in Mexico.  We do not accept or ship packages at your Laredo, TX address.  The cost of sending them on down to Mexico is brutal.  The shipper's basic cost is $18.00, plus Mexican Customs Duty, plus possible weight charges, etc.  Packages sent in error will be Returned to Sender. 

Something sure seems wrong here. sure hope I am missing something. I always used to have an employee fill a US priority mail envelope from my US condo address and mail it to the Texas handy mail office. These envelopes are large, about 12.3 inches  by 9.3 inches. As long as they were filled with envelopes, great, But one time the envelope also included a year end small Consumer Reports rather thick booklet. It was about 5 by 7  inches by 3/4 of an inch thick.

This was several years ago and because the small booklet was also included, the envelope was refused and it was sent back to the US return address on the envelope

I am surprised that the folks in the Texas Handy Mail office forwarded your package. They should have returned it to the sender 

I stopped using Handy Mail several months ago, not because of bad service but because I live next to Sol Y Luna mail service in Ajijic and I want to try them out.

Archived