Chapala.com Webboard

FRAT

FlyFree

Yup, never again, we had a major part replaced, took 3 weeks to get it here, they used a wrong bolt and it slipped loose, then ended up replacing the entire part somewhere else for a little cheaper and all is good now. Never again.

18 minutes ago, hensley said:

Yup, never again, we had a major part replaced, took 3 weeks to get it here, they used a wrong bolt and it slipped loose, then ended up replacing the entire part somewhere else for a little cheaper and all is good now. Never again.

Could you please tell me where you went. I need to get a part replaced. I am a newbie driver with little experience of car maintenance.

FRAT IS THE ONLY PLACE I GET MY CAR FIXED. now after getting run around and parts i did needed suggested by other mechanics

..had bad experienced and and unusual recommendations in three other places.

.they have a new manager his name is Greg , everything is much faster now

yes they were slow for a while. too much business

frat WILL ONLY REPAIR WHAT NEEDED, THAT WHY THEY ARE SO BUSY, THEY run a honest business.

39 minutes ago, tomgates said:

I have had good experience over 10 years at Escelera, in Riberas, across the street and a little west of S & S Auto's. Aaron is the manager of that shop. 

I've been to Escalera and asked Aaron for a quote. I've called and returned to his shop a number of times but still unable to get a quote. I don't get it. It's been a few months now.

57 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

They tend to avoid answers when they can't get the part, in the Mexican way of not wanting to "displease" anyone.

After 16 years in Mexico, I see this differently. I don't feel it's a matter of not wanting to displease, it's a matter of not wanting you to be mad at them or blame them. "No tengo la culpa" attitude is extremely prevalent. As is "Se rompio" as opposed to "Disculpame, yo lo rompi".

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

After 16 years in Mexico, I see this differently. I don't feel it's a matter of not wanting to displease, it's a matter of not wanting you to be mad at them or blame them. "No tengo la culpa" attitude is extremely prevalent. As is "Se rompio" as opposed to "Disculpame, yo lo rompi".

Yes, passive voice rules.  Directness is rude.  What doesn't work for me is when you ask directions.   The person doesn't know where the place is but has to offer something.  It's a nice flaw though.  

Since posting on this forum, I've heard from friends who've had negative experiences at Frat. I am unable to get a quote from Aaron at Escalera. Car City tried to charge me $11,000 pesos to change 4 Michelin tires. I went to the tire shop on the Libramiento and had the same tires replaced for a little over $6,000 pesos, so I am reluctant to use them. 

So, I'm still stuck in place of where else to go for repairs. I would appreciate any further suggestions.

We have always gone to Roberto at Hernandez - right next to Tony's Restaurant.  Speaks great English... is extremely honest and if he can't do it, he knows where to get it done and will arrange to have it done.

Francisco, Escelera and the shop in with SuperLake get the most positive reviews. Funny how people have such strong positive opinions on auto repair places here whereas NOB everyone hates all auto repair places!

2 hours ago, FlyFree said:

Since posting on this forum, I've heard from friends who've had negative experiences at Frat. I am unable to get a quote from Aaron at Escalera. Car City tried to charge me $11,000 pesos to change 4 Michelin tires. I went to the tire shop on the Libramiento and had the same tires replaced for a little over $6,000 pesos, so I am reluctant to use them. 

So, I'm still stuck in place of where else to go for repairs. I would appreciate any further suggestions.

They are rip off artists also, they told a friend they needed to replace spark plugs on a new car.

We have used Escalera for years also but the person that fixed the major part was Felipe next to Telecable in Riberas.

Have had a friend at Francisco and the guy next to Super Lake and they have screwed up and held her car for weeks with no fixes. She went on vacation for 3 weeks and Francisco had her car the entire time and they didn't touch it.

• 3 weeks later...

FRAT IS THE ONLY PLACE I WILL WORK WITH!  I have never had a problem with them.  They have come and picked up my car from my house and returned it when finished.  They gave me options on parts and told me the total and the difference and I chose the parts.  They have never been late.  They rescued me on the side of the road when my car broke down.  They have always been fair and honest with me.  Even when it is in for a "little" thing, they also do a free safety check.  We make plans on what may need work next.  I recommend them without hesitation!

On 12/21/2017 at 4:49 PM, FlyFree said:

I've been to Escalera and asked Aaron for a quote. I've called and returned to his shop a number of times but still unable to get a quote. I don't get it. It's been a few months now.

When they don’t give a quote it means they don’t know how or don’t want to do the job

Archived