Chapala.com Webboard

Being generous in Mexico

modeeper

I'm much more generous these days after 36 years of being here, and I have lass income now than when I arrived.  After the how-much-is-that-in-dollars mentality disappears and you're thinking in MXN - as you should - certain facts become clear. . 

Most important, if you're resigned to having Mexican friends, is to be Mexican.  Being cheap is a tag you defiantly want to avoid.

Never fool yourself into thinking Mexicans are ignorant of our wages and lifestyle, or deluxe infrastructure.   Keep it out of the conversation .. they already know.

Since you are a richie .. be one.  You will never convince them you are too strapped to leave more than a 5-Peso tip or loan 20 Pesos.  

Caballerismo rules here.  Gentlemen have class, and this type of class has nothing to do with your Mercedes, well-groomed dogs or marble floors.  It's concern for the well-being of people around you.  

Our hosts well know that 100 Pesos is to you no more than 5usd, a pack of cigarettes, a stick of deodorant.

Living in the trenches is good for you and good for character building.   For me I need the support of the locals.  I didn't come here to continue being a Gringo.  It takes little effort to wave at folks when I drive by, to sit on a curbstone and talk to them, to invite an ice cream cone or a beer.  

A little goes a loooong way round here.

End of rant ..

It is this very attitude and level of response that inspired me to recently relocate to another part of Mexico. Instead of whining about a persons view who has stated his/her presence for 36 years, you could pay more attention and try to think of something positive to say-if you still remember how. Merry Christmas to the un-Scrooged among us.

19 minutes ago, IMBurnen said:

It is this very attitude and level of response that inspired me to recently relocate to another part of Mexico. Instead of whining about a persons view who has stated his/her presence for 36 years, you could pay more attention and try to think of something positive to say-if you still remember how. Merry Christmas to the un-Scrooged among us.

I am positive I give my domestic help more than a months pay for aguinaldo.

Wow, kind of a disappointment.   I guess most of you came here because it's cheap.  I came here as a student of ethnology, fell in love with the place and stayed.  And yes. maybe I am qualified to mention Mexican culture since I've sat through about 500 hours of lecture and have read about 50 books on the subject..  There are NO Gringos in the ville where I live.  Nor in the last ville where I lived.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  I didn't base the expat motive on where's a cheap place to guzzle liquor and talk about home or how screwed up the locals are with like-kinds til the joint closes.

And please spare me that newbie crap.  This is only one of many expat forums.   If you're not at least semi-fluent in Spanish and don't even care about it and don't know how offensive you might be with your behaviour and are not even concerned you're in someone else's land, just keep powering down those beers and try not to think about it.  Mexicans are your hosts.  Shouldn't matter they're poorer and/or less educated than you.  They are your superiors.    

36 years, that's half my lifetime.  Who's the newbie? 

No way I'm needing phrase.  Not from y'all.  I'm a hour from you and I'll never meet you.  I've never been there.  Have no interest.  But there are some cool people here.

You know old people like to feel useful.  I'm one of those.   

25 minutes ago, modeeper said:

...And please spare me that newbie crap.  This is only one of many expat forums.   If you're not at least semi-fluent in Spanish and don't even care about it and don't know how offensive you might be with your behaviour and are not even concerned you're in someone else's land, just keep powering down those beers and try not to think about it.  Mexicans are your hosts.  Shouldn't matter they're poorer and/or less educated than you.  They are your superiors....

modeeper,

on this board you are the newbie, maybe you should heed your own advice. I have not seen you on any of the boards that I follow for quite awhile but I do remember you. You have a well established pattern of appearing on a board, quickly alienating all that you can and then disappearing. This board already has someone who is quite good at that (except for the disappearing part) and I hope that you do your mischief here and leave soon. I pity you.  

The alpha male strikes again!  Every forum has at least one.  I hope you're not patting las chicas on the fanny like senators do.

And you are   ?  Isn't there a rule about being nasty to other members?  My nastiness is opinion-based and doesn't have a specific target.   Yours is aimed at a single person.  So why not get lost?  

Yes, I come and go.  So what's it to you, newbie? 

1 minute ago, Xena said:

Do I have this right. Modeeper loathes gringos and wants nothing to do with them except to join their web board and lecture them on how cheap and ignorant they are? I have seen this movie before and know how it ends. Have fun.

No way I loathe Gringos.  If the shoe fits ....  But I have to admit, when I get into a GDL taxi the taxistas almost always say straight away, you live in Ajijic, right?  I'm a little put off by that for some reason.  Maybe it's the illusion I'm too cool for school.  Anyway I feel I have a lot to offer and everyone has the right to just scroll by me.  And I enjoy speaking English, on the average around here,  it's at about 20 seconds per day.  Psst, I'm not a Christian nor a Republican, that might be a rub. eh?

2 hours ago, IMBurnen said:

That's good!  I'm old and cranky, my bladder leaks and my feet are always tired.  My dog has to do his business right in front of my front door.  My calico cat is a whore.  My pet pigeon never heard the old saying, don't bite the hand that feeds you.  My ex has turned senile and she's the only contact I have to do business in The States.  If not for the Internet I'd wither and die.

Oh yeah, I remember you too.  The computer guy.  Do you know the psychology term, projection?  And you never took my suggestion of looking up the def of a troll. 

Shoot, I'm just checkin to see if there's anyone alive tonight. 

Trolls try to upset the peace and order, like a linebacker would in his defense of his team's territory.  RU territorial like chimps and dogs?

You're lucky some of the local computer guys haven't kneecapped you yet. 

And book design.  That's a new one for me.  How does one design a book?  Like illustrations or what?  No, that would be an Illustrator.  Well whatever you are I bet your family is proud of you.  

6 hours ago, El Saltos said:

I agree.  Why any newbie would wade into a webboard and pontificate is beyond me, but says a lot about about him.

On to a web board?  I mean we post on a forum, not in a forum.  Just saying like.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Oh, modeeper, you're back. Your ego knows no bounds. Enjoy it while you can. There is a reason for the old adage 'The troll doth protest too much'.

Yes I'll prolly get banned again for being snarky.  Truth is I'm doing a social psychology study and you're one of my rats.

As for Ego I'm glad I have one. 

I've met a lot of Ajijicans , believe it or not.  I like to talk at y'all in anthros and such.  My impressions didn't come from the alignment of Jupiter and Mars on a stormy night.  But as I've said, there's a lot of good folks on this forum.  And I'm sure all of you have more money than me.  I guess I should respect higher income folks more.  But I don't for some crazy reason.  And it's a pleasure to know I don't sit well with fundamental Christians, hicks, nor Republicans.  

Archived