Chapala.com Webboard

Stomach flu

Zira10

Go to the doctor and take the prescribed medications and it will pass in three days.

OR

Go to a chiropractor and get adjusted and it will pass in three days.

OR

Go to a homeopath and eat his herbs and it will pass in three days.

OR

Stay home and relax and it will pass in three days.

17 hours ago, bezerk said:

If it lasts more than 3 days see a dr!!! 

Really no such thing as a stomach flu..LOL.

Right there is no such thing.

Here is what Mr. Google told me.

The flu attacks the lungs, nose and throat. Young children, older adults, pregnant women and people with chronic disease or weak immune systems are at high risk.

Symptoms include fever, chills, muscle aches, cough, congestion, runny nose, headaches and fatigue.

The flu is treated primarily with rest and fluid to let the body fight the infection on its own. Over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pain relievers may help with symptoms. An annual vaccine can help prevent the flu and limit its complications.

I wish it did only last 3 days.

12 hours ago, johanson said:

Here is what Mr. Google told me.

The flu attacks the lungs, nose and throat. Young children, older adults, pregnant women and people with chronic disease or weak immune systems are at high risk.

Symptoms include fever, chills, muscle aches, cough, congestion, runny nose, headaches and fatigue.

The flu is treated primarily with rest and fluid to let the body fight the infection on its own. Over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pain relievers may help with symptoms. An annual vaccine can help prevent the flu and limit its complications.

I wish it did only last 3 days.

Yes, nothing to do with the stomach. When people say stomach flu they may mean some type of food poisoning. Is there such a thing as stomach flu? I've never had any kind of flu as far as I know.

We're not really talking about "the flu" here, but about a common stomach infection that does last around 3 days.  Mexicans often use an every-six-months dose of Vermox pills to keep it under control. You can catch it anywhere, including from doorknobs, railings, etc., not to mention poorly washed vegetables and such.  Lots of hand washing needed in paradise.

On 12/19/2017 at 6:56 PM, zerbit said:

A true Norovirus usually lasts 1-3 days. Your overall health can also determine the duration and severity. Tried Treda yet? 

I was in love with Treda for my first two applications.  Really did the trick.  Doesn't work anymore.  What does work is amplicilina.  40mxn for 12 tabs.  The virus is an amazing ...... whatever it is.  It has no mass, so it isn't really an animal life form.  It's a little spark of energy that takes control of your cells, reprograms them to do its bidding.  So to kill it that cell has to sacrifice its life.  Biology 202.    

Lots of good info from you folks and I thank you. I'm sure many others gained some valuable advice as well. GringaGal and WideSky stressed the need for washing hands often and that is very important. I must admit to a lazy attitude about this. I have lived in Mexico for almost 22 years (only 5 in Ajijic) and I should have known this all along. I don't do drugs so I let this ride itself out although instead of drugs I use Cannabis. Now that ought to start a round of  letters to our forum.

Mil Gracias!!!!

58 minutes ago, Zira10 said:

Lots of good info from you folks and I thank you. I'm sure many others gained some valuable advice as well. GringaGal and WideSky stressed the need for washing hands often and that is very important. I must admit to a lazy attitude about this. I have lived in Mexico for almost 22 years (only 5 in Ajijic) and I should have known this all along. I don't do drugs so I let this ride itself out although instead of drugs I use Cannabis. Now that ought to start a round of  letters to our forum.

Mil Gracias!!!!

If you have very common parasites in your system the only way to get rid of them is through drugs. Amoebas are also common here and you need drugs to get rid of them. A bacterial infection doesn´t need drugs but will take longer to get rid of. IMO An untreated parasite infection is not a good thing to have and can eventually damage your liver. Best that you go to a Dr. and have tests performed to see what you are actually ailing from instead of riding it out and hoping it is a virus or bacterial infection. You sound as if you are pretty sick.

4 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Biology 101 - Antibiotics have no effect on viruses.

Yes I know.  How could anything kill a virus, it isn't a life form.  You kill the bodies it has control of.  Said that.  Secondary school science.

Simply put, antibiotics cannot kill viruses because viruses have different structures and replicate in a different way than bacteria. Antibiotics work by targeting the growth machinery in bacteria (not viruses) to kill or inhibit those particular bacteria. 

https://www.drugs.com/article/antibiotics-and-viruses.html

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Charcoal pills often work well for queasy stomach stuff, although I'm not suggesting they would kill parasites or infections.

The charcoal seems to help often.

Archived