Chapala.com Webboard

U. S. Passport re-newal

heidinrick

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/18/2017 at 8:52 PM, Xena said:

I just put in my renewal December 6 at the Legion. I arrived at 8:45 and signed in. I was number 7. I went into the Legion restaurant and had a great breakfast before going back outside. I was taken almost immediately and had everything needed, thanks to a previous helpful post by Bezerk (thank you!). I was back home before 10. The counsel will be at the Legion and then LCS on January 2. That’s when I pick up my new passport. They really make it painless. 

Xena, how much of your old passport did you need to copy? All, including stamped pages, or just the first few at the beginning.....?

2 hours ago, artsnob said:

I went yesterday to Banamex to get check for payment, there were five others there too, a rep came out and gave us a page that has to be filled out by consulate before they can do check,  I am seeing consul tomorrow, I was wondering if I could pay with my US check..

I did my renewal in December. This was not the case then. I was given a bank form to fill out and the check was issued. Please let us know what consul says. This would be a whole new (useless) step in a procedure that is already way more cumbersome and time-consuming than it needs to be. 

Tried to renew at American Legion in Chapala this morning.  What a clusterf**k.  Lots of people and they would only accept a Banamex check in the exact amount of $2,090 to renew the book. Nothing less and nothing more.  I was advised by the Consulate by email about a week ago that the amount was $2,200 pesos and brought a bank check in that amount. Paid $250 in commission to the bank to get the check.  No go even though I showed the consular rep the email.  Suggested they just keep the extra $110 and apply it to the National Debt but that didn't work either. 

Many unhappy people had checks in incorrect amounts and were rejected.  Apparently they all headed for Banamex as when I passed there it looked like there were long, long lines of people inside.  I may have to try again next month if I can't find a better way to renew.  Maybe they'll get their act together by March.

Our tax dollars at work, folks.  Gotta love the bureaucracy.

Archived