Chapala.com Webboard

U. S. Passport re-newal

heidinrick

You need to contact the consulate and ask how much you need check for or maybe LCS has that info...

They now only allow checks from Banamex ( so Chapala).

You need your old passport, two passport pictures ( Farmacia Guadalajara can do them cheaply and quickly ) , a copy of your passport, and the form filled out, you can get it online or maybe at LCS I think they have a form stating what you need.  You should also have another form of ID with you, drivers license or Permanente what have you.

I did mine at The Legion and it was painless, well other than to my pocketbook.  LOL.

I just put in my renewal December 6 at the Legion. I arrived at 8:45 and signed in. I was number 7. I went into the Legion restaurant and had a great breakfast before going back outside. I was taken almost immediately and had everything needed, thanks to a previous helpful post by Bezerk (thank you!). I was back home before 10. The counsel will be at the Legion and then LCS on January 2. That’s when I pick up my new passport. They really make it painless. 

Anything wrong with just mailing it to the US Passport address via my iShop mailbox and receiving it back there? That way I can get both the passport and passport card. Not sure if the local consulate can issue the card.

The local U.S consulate can indeed issue both the passport and passport card - did mine several years ago. Be sure to check  the box somewhere on top of form for both and there is an additional fee for the passport card.....  So when checking for the amount due be sure to verify that it covers both documents.

For a simple renewal,use form DS 82, See below and follow EXACTLY!

US Consulate Checklist

Passports                                    February, 2018

1.     Proper form completed and signed

2.     2 photos 2”x2” or 5 x 5 cm. (NO GLASSES)

3.    Bank checks payable to “United States Disbursing Officer” in Mexican pesos.  There are no cash/card transactions.  Bank checks in Pesos only form  Banamex  located at Av. Francisco I Madero 222, Col. Centro, 45900 Chapala, Jal., Mexico. Tel:  376 765 2271 . 

4.    Your old passport and one photo copy

NO FIRST TIME APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED

*Fees:    Check MUST be for EXACT amount or application will not be accepted

(Exchange rate 19.00  MXP per 1 USD)

DON’T SIGN OR WRITE ANYTHING ON THE CHECK

Please don’t print your application in one page (use one sheet per page)

Simple passport renewal $2,090 Pesos / 110 USD                         Form DS-82

Book and Card $2,660 Pesos / 140 USD                           Form DS-82  

Renewal for age 15 and under $1,995 Pesos / 105 USD       Form DS-11

Lost or Stolen passport $2,565 Pesos / 135 USD   Forms DS-64 & DS-11

Notary $950 Pesos / 50 USD per impression

To notarize a document

The applicant has to present an OFFICIAL AND CURRENT US or Mexican  ID such as:

-US Passport

-US Driver License

-Mexican Passport

-Mexican Driver License

-Mexican Voter Card (IFE)

Rick, you take a number and wait to go to a teller. There are rows of chairs to sit in. That should tell you something! I was there an hour and a half. A very unhelpful woman handed me a form and told me to go “over there “ and fill it out. I have very poor Bank Spanish so I filled out what I recognized. I then stood off to the side and when that teller was next available I hot footed it up to her window. She pointed out a couple of other things I was supposed to fill in and I did it there in front of her. She then cut the check and handed it over. I thanked her and smiled AGAIN at her. This time I got about a quarter smile from her, the only hint of one during the entire transaction. Geez, and I was being my best sweet, friendly, self-deprecating old lady too. A very tough nut to crack. Best of luck.

If per chance the peso exchange rate changes and your check is wrong amount they will in that case let you pay any additional fees in pesos at that time.  I had to do that. 

I got the book and card...figure good to have card in wallet.  Forget exact charge for that ,roughly $30. USD , more or less.  You just check box for both card and book.  

Picking up is even simpler...bring your receipt and a picture ID, like drivers license, or Permanente and they do pick ups first so you are in and out in a breeze. 

I am thrilled I am done with that for ten years!! 

You are welcome Xena and happy it all went well. 

I find those at the Legion are so friendly and helpful, I prefer there to LCS. 

The bank well such sourpusses LOL. 

3 hours ago, heidinrick said:

Thank you so much Xena, I'll try to behave! I'm going today...wish me luck!

Getting the check was the hardest part of the whole process , Rick. Once you have that you are home free. Hope you get fewer people ahead of you and a more cheerful teller than I did. 

Have to tell you about my Banamex experience. Dropped Heidi off at the shop and headed for Chapala figuring, the bank opens at 9 and I would arrive about 8:15, I would be first in line....not! 19 people ahead of me. By 8:30 the line had at least 50 people. We finally went inside and were all seated when a gentleman came out and announced that their shipment of money had not arrived. Many people left, others were standing in groups and, when I looked, 3 teller windows were open. I went to a window, took care of business, and walked out at 9:20! Thank you to the "money" drivers!

Perfect, Rick! Another great Doing Business In Mexico story! When I went at 11 every chair but one was being sat in and another 10 or so people were standing around. I am wonder if going mid-afternoon is better. Well, I will try that in 10 years when I again need a check to renew my passport.  

We did our renewals last month.  I headed to Banamex on Day of the Dead which is a holiday, reminded a friend.  So I went the next day about 9:30 and there were at least 100 people waiting.  Not knowing what to do I found a bank person and asked about the check for passports.  He asked if I had the form.  Form?  So he gave me 2 forms and asked if I had my passport which I didn't - I was just coming to get a check.  I'd have to come back.  This was Friday and my wife was going to have to be there anyway.  Monday morning after figuring out a couple of lines on the form we arrived at 9am and there were only a dozen people waiting.  I found the same bank guy who showed us what we were missing on the form and he put us in line since the number machine didn't seem to be working.  Less than half an hour and we were done.

We did our processing at the Legion which was super easy since they are very organized.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, sm1mex said:

What all do you have to put on the "form" that Banamex gives you?  I thought you could just walk in and ask for the check at the proper exchange rate. ???

Basically you put your name and address, who check is to made to, and amount.  Take a number when you get there but go to a window to get form, fill it out, then wait for your number to appear on screen.

Just noticed that my passport is expiring on February 10.  Can anyone tell me if renewing an expired passport is a problem.  I noticed the post saying that the next visit to LCS will be on Feb 20 and wonder if I can wait until then to do my renewal.  Thanks....

My US Passport will be expiring next January, 2019.  I seem to recall that you have to start the renewal process here well in advance of the actual expiration date.  True or no?  So that would be later this year?  Don't want to mess this up, jaja!

Archived