Chapala.com Webboard

Salt meter

cedros

Does any one have an electronic meter for measuring salt (NaCl) in water that I could borrow briefly? I probably only need to use it once. The only ones I can find online cost about 5,000 and aren't in the area. 

Why not use a hydrometer and measure the specific gravity? That is what many salt water aquarium owners do.

Amazon US ships one to Mexico inexpensively:  https://www.amazon.com/marine-Glass-saltwater-Hydrometer-Thermometer/dp/B016KG42U6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513631028&sr=8-2&keywords=hydrometer+aquarium&refinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin%3A3242350011

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:52 PM, AngusMactavish said:

Why not use a hydrometer and measure the specific gravity? That is what many salt water aquarium owners do.

Amazon US ships one to Mexico inexpensively:  https://www.amazon.com/marine-Glass-saltwater-Hydrometer-Thermometer/dp/B016KG42U6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513631028&sr=8-2&keywords=hydrometer+aquarium&refinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin%3A3242350011

All the experts tell me a hydrometer would not do what I need. Today I talked to the equipment manufacturers in North Carolina and California but no joy. I'm willing to pay to get my pool salt water chlorinator working properly but who can do it?

46 minutes ago, Out1 said:

I have some test strips that I use to confirm the salt content in my pool vs the display on the electronic chlorinator.

They are accurate within about 500 ppm.

I have tried the test strips a few times now but the "experts" tell me I need a salt meter. If only some pool place locally or in Guadalajara knew something about salt water pools I would pay them to sort out my problem.

2 hours ago, Out1 said:

I have some test strips that I use to confirm the salt content in my pool vs the display on the electronic chlorinator.

They are accurate within about 500 ppm.

Have you found anyone locally or in Guadalajara that is knowledgeable about salt water pools? I'm at a loss how to solve my problem.

Tecno Aqua in West Ajijic will test your salt levels.  I went to Handy Mail and asked for a salt level test to check if the Tecno Aqua salt level numbers were in the ball park.  Handy Mail spent about 20 minutes checking the water sample for about 8 different chemicals and never did come up with a salt level. Handy Mail charged 50 pesos for the pool water test.   Tecno Aqua salt water test was free.  Go figure.

12 hours ago, Kiko said:

Tecno Aqua in West Ajijic will test your salt levels.  I went to Handy Mail and asked for a salt level test to check if the Tecno Aqua salt level numbers were in the ball park.  Handy Mail spent about 20 minutes checking the water sample for about 8 different chemicals and never did come up with a salt level. Handy Mail charged 50 pesos for the pool water test.   Tecno Aqua salt water test was free.  Go figure.

Thanks. I go to Tecno Aqua often. They have a TDS meter not a salt meter. So they can check for TDS (total dissolved solids) not salt . I have used their TDS meter a number of times. As Vicki says and as is written on the meter it is TDS not salt. I need salt. It can be quite different than salt. I have asked at 2 other pool places. Today I will check 3 more pool places for a salt meter including Handy Mail. If I don't find a meter I will have to buy one in Guadalajara-5,000 ouch!

I am on my 4th Turbo Cell in almost 10 years. I will be cleaning it once a month or so with a weakened vinegar solution, soaking several hours then shaking the water solution to loosen the deposits. Going 3 months between  cleanings will make it difficult to dislodge the deposits.  

A friend who is putting in a pool will be using a Pentair chlorinator which is self cleaning. That may be an option for Cedros. Juan Pablo at Handy Mail is doing their pool.

45 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Cedros,

Have you cleaned your generator? I read where they get ruined with too little salt in the water, an unreversable situation. I also read that they do not last forever and must be replaced.

It is almost new so it should not need cleaning. I took it to the people who clean generators and they said it did not need cleaning.

29 minutes ago, tomgates said:

I am on my 4th Turbo Cell in almost 10 years. I will be cleaning it once a month or so with a weakened vinegar solution, soaking several hours then shaking the water solution to loosen the deposits. Going 3 months between  cleanings will make it difficult to dislodge the deposits.  

A friend who is putting in a pool will be using a Pentair chlorinator which is self cleaning. That may be an option for Cedros. Juan Pablo at Handy Mail is doing their pool.

My Turbo cell is almost new.

Archived