Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

details Pancho and Superlake


nothernewbie
 Share

Recommended Posts

Don't you think if there were parking available in the rear that El Barco would have found a way to take advantage of that parking?  I am hopeful that Pancho will be able to establish an alternative to Superlake,

 

Not necessarily.   Opening a new business takes a lot of money.  I doubt if Pancho is very rich.  Expansions often have to wait for adequate cash revenue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stopped at Pancho's new store yesterday. He said his hours are every day 8am to 8pm. He had brie cheese on special. The good stuff, some from France and will cut the size you need. All types were around 300 pesos per kilo. 

He mentioned that next week he will start carrying fresh fruit and more veggies. 

I had no trouble parking and his prices for everything I bought were very reasonable. Bought several cans of diced tomatoes at 19 pesos - that's $1 us per can!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Cooking for a dinner party or ten last week I arrived at Panchos with an extensive list. Missing a few items I finished my shopping at Superlake. Noticing a significant difference between a couple of items I checked further...shopping at Panchos had saved me between 200–300 pesos, not bad for one visit !

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was there yesterday , was not impressed , the parking is not good the steps high . , did not have what I was looking for so it is back to SL for me.. I do not care about the prices because I only buy what I cannot find anywhere else and I am not about to shop in two places to find 4 or 5 items.. The place is cramped  and shopping there is very clostrophobic. Good luck to him hopefully he will be successful.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Al Berca said:

Was just in SuperLake this morning watching them markup packets of brown gravy from 44 to 59 pesos. Good to know some here do not care about prices. Wish I could afford to be one of them.

By packets of brown gravy do you mean the envelop of spiced thickener you add to pan drippings to make gravy? Because even 44 pesos is a lot for that, never mind 59 pesos. I go to SL about four times a year when I MUST have my quarterly box of spoon size Shredded Wheat, and I plan for the splurge. When I made my winter visit they did not have it in stock, so maybe next time I will try Pancho’s Deli. 

  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really wonder what all the bitching is about. If you are American your dollar goes 

pretty darn far here in Mexico. I am a Canadian so my dollar doesn't go so far. 

I wonder if you were back in the U.S. or Canada would you be bitching so much or

just accept that this is what you have to pay and if you don't want to pay then don't buy it. 

I really get fed up hearing all this crap that goes on here about the cost of living. You

are so lucky to be in a warm climate, with nice people , close to Guadalajara that has 

great concerts, opera , shopping.  So please understand where the pesos is and when

Superlake or now Poncho's buy from the U.S. it costs them a lot. So if you don't want it

don't buy it , but please stop bitching. 

Jackie Sandler

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jackie.....do you realize that some of the folks who moved here are living on their Social Security checks, on amounts which would be considered well below the "poverty level" back where they came from, and that the reason they are "bitching" is because they are living so close to the bone here that any price increase is painful?  If you consider that, perhaps you'll understand  that they are just letting off some steam since they have little control over their economic lives, and maybe you'll not feel the need to "bitch" about their "bitching".

However, there are also some who are financially secure that complain about anything and everything, and probably always have.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless it was priced incorrectly to begin with...  This is a small store and they do not buy in the same quantities as, say Walmart or the Mega etc. etc.  Therefore, they pay more for the imported product to begin with... then there's the 16% import tax and then the transportation to get it here. Then finally, the calculation for mark up . If you want or need it then you'll pay for it. If you don't want it or need it then you won't. I'm grateful that the option even exists because my returning suitcase (twice a year) used to be full of things that I couldn't find in Mexico. Each to his/her own.                                                                                      

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Ferret said:

Unless it was priced incorrectly to begin with...  This is a small store and they do not buy in the same quantities as, say Walmart or the Mega etc. etc.  Therefore, they pay more for the imported product to begin with... then there's the 16% import tax and then the transportation to get it here. Then finally, the calculation for mark up . If you want or need it then you'll pay for it. If you don't want it or need it then you won't. I'm grateful that the option even exists because my returning suitcase (twice a year) used to be full of things that I couldn't find in Mexico. Each to his/her own.                                                                                      

 

Ferret we pay 35% tax on items brought in from the States as well as transportation  costs The 16% is only on items here in Mexico

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's even more complicated than that. It depends on what you're importing, how much of something you're importing and the country of origin etc. etc. My point was that there are costs involved that the average consumer is unaware of therefore you can't compare the price of something NOB and expect it to cost the same here.

Whatever I buy in SuperLake is cheaper than a round trip ticket to Canada.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only action against that is one not shopping there and two go to a store carry that item  so you can buy it tthere.. I buy very few things in SL and I do not shop for proce thre when it is the pnly place I can get what I want.  Pancho new store is packed but very small and he did not have what I was looking for so for me the choice is simple, do without it ot pay the price. If one day I cannot afford it I will not buy it. 

In Chiapas we do not have a SL so I do without it. and I do without. We can find things there we cannot find here so I change what I cook when I go there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can not believe that three pages have been spent talking about a guy who for the last 20 years has made a fortune selling out of date expired US made products to gringos. Has anyone checked the expiration dates on the products he is selling now? An I have watched (not bought) him do this for a long long time.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, bigd said:

I can not believe that three pages have been spent talking about a guy who for the last 20 years has made a fortune selling out of date expired US made products to gringos. Has anyone checked the expiration dates on the products he is selling now? An I have watched (not bought) him do this for a long long time.

Suggest you consult Sr. Google about expiration dates:

"The dates solely indicate freshness, and are used by manufacturers to convey when the product is at its peak. That means the food does not expire in the sense of becoming inedible. For un-refrigerated foods, there may be no difference in taste or quality, and expired foods won't necessarily make people sick."

From a CNN report so no need to accuse Fox.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Suggest you consult Sr. Google about expiration dates:

"The dates solely indicate freshness, and are used by manufacturers to convey when the product is at its peak. That means the food does not expire in the sense of becoming inedible. For un-refrigerated foods, there may be no difference in taste or quality, and expired foods won't necessarily make people sick."

From a CNN report so no need to accuse Fox.

My experience has been different. Expired yogurt, cheeses etc . Very often do go bad. Especially milk. I will never buy cheese wrapped at SL. Invariably green begins to appear. One reason may not be the expiration date but the refrigeration which is lowered at night. Ever buy ice cream that has been refrozen there. I have.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Newjersey expat said:

My experience has been different. Expired yogurt, cheeses etc . Very often do go bad. Especially milk. I will never buy cheese wrapped at SL. Invariably green begins to appear. One reason may not be the expiration date but the refrigeration which is lowered at night. Ever buy ice cream that has been refrozen there. I have.

 

Yeah, been there done that and never bought anything refrigerated from SL. Thought we were talking non-perishables. Mexican retailers seldom if ever remove anything refrigerated from the shelves, including SL, Walmart, etc. It's our responsibility to check those dates. Most of what Pancho sold that was "expired" were non-perishables. Edit:  I rarely buy milk but if I do I buy the ultra pasteurized stuff that doesn't need refrigeration until opened. All other dairy products including cheese, half and half, ice cream, yogurt we buy at Costco and have never had a problem. I realize Costco is a ways away but with the shopping service you have up there it's totally possible.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...