Chapala.com Webboard

details Pancho and Superlake

nothernewbie

This rumour that they lower or turn off their freezers/cooler is absolutely bogus and always has been. Continuing to circulate such blatant BS is doing the store and that family a huge disservice. Accidents happen, yes, and sometimes CFE has failed us all.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never had a problem with the dairy products thre , i always taste the cream or cheese before using it  and never had a problem.. I did buy some filo dough that had been thawed and frozen again and I should have paid attention at the package but that did happened.. 

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

This rumour that they lower or turn off their freezers/cooler is absolutely bogus and always has been. Continuing to circulate such blatant BS is doing the store and that family a huge disservice. Accidents happen, yes, and sometimes CFE has failed us all.

Well computer guy I guess we have to agree to disagree. In more developed places, batteries or shades can be used. But I have worked in one where the refrigeration WAS reduced.  I have to wonder how many stores have new energy saving means.

"Quick Fixes Many grocery stores can benefit from low- or no-cost energy expenditure reductions. Turning Things Off It’s the simplest of ideas: Remember that every  1,000 kWh you save by turning things off equals $100 off your utility bill. (This assumes average  electricity costs of $0.10/kWh.")

If Sl does not lower the temperature, then they must recycle aged cheese. But doesn't explain the ice cream. Don't lecture me, I have electrical engineering backgtound

For whatever reason ( turning freezers off, no freezer during transport from Guadalajara, power outage or?) I noticed that some frozen things I have bought  from the freezers in the back right were not quite right-not really frozen or obvious thawed and refrozen.  

28 minutes ago, cedros said:

For whatever reason ( turning freezers off, no freezer during transport from Guadalajara, power outage or?) I noticed that some frozen things I have bought  from the freezers in the back right were not quite right-not really frozen or obvious thawed and refrozen.  

Same at walmart.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, and I appreciate your restraint in answering. And I've seen it at Walmart, too, on occasion. But you would agree that intentionally doing this helps no one. It doesn't take an engineering degree to speculate on how widespread the effect of turning off your coolers would be.

Well, I finally made it to Pancho this morning. He is doing a great job and much of what I read as complaints did not seem that great to me. All new businesses experience growing pains. The fruit and veggies were fresh and well presented, he was adding stock and has very pleasant help. The store is neat and clean and appears to be very well run. The liters of grape tomatoes were 20 p today and looked nice as did the other tomatoes he has for sale. One thing he has in quantity that I know is in demand at this time of year is Butternut squash. They are big and healthy looking.

Pancho did tell me, as he has told so many others in the past weeks, that the stairs and a ramp will be done, "tomorrow". LOL.

1 hour ago, gringal said:

When "manana" has come with the railing a reality.....I'll go there to check it out.:rolleyes:

What! Are you too feeble to crawl? LOL I will also wait for the time one can safely traverse the stairs. I have been told by more than a dozen of my seniors that the secret to longevity is, "Don't fall".

13 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

What! Are you too feeble to crawl? LOL I will also wait for the time one can safely traverse the stairs. I have been told by more than a dozen of my seniors that the secret to longevity is, "Don't fall".

You got that right.  I did, in 2017, and am in too sorry a shape to crawl up those nasty stairs.

On 1/6/2018 at 1:38 PM, bigd said:

I can not believe that three pages have been spent talking about a guy who for the last 20 years has made a fortune selling out of date expired US made products to gringos. Has anyone checked the expiration dates on the products he is selling now? An I have watched (not bought) him do this for a long long time.

What does the "d" stand for? Is your name Richard?

On 1/8/2018 at 7:05 AM, cedros said:

Maybe I am missing something but how can you prove that something is "obvious thawed and refrozen." have been hearing these rumors for years but will always give the benefit of doubt without confirmation.

•  

4 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Maybe I am missing something but how can you prove that something is "obvious thawed and refrozen." have been hearing these rumors for years but will always give the benefit of doubt without confirmation.

You obviously don't buy and consume ice cream from Soriana.

Or SuperLake. The crystallized ice cream and frozen food items packed Individually, but now a solid frozen clump in the plastic bag are definite clues. Not to mention all the freezers running first thing in the morning with their glass windows so full of condensation that one must open the freezer door to see what products are behind it. Condensation is gone after a couple of hours of freezers being turned back on and correct temperature reached.

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

•  

By looking at it. It is obvious.

2 hours ago, Al Berca said:

Or SuperLake. The crystallized ice cream and frozen food items packed Individually, but now a solid frozen clump in the plastic bag are definite clues. Not to mention all the freezers running first thing in the morning with their glass windows so full of condensation that one must open the freezer door to see what products are behind it. Condensation is gone after a couple of hours of freezers being turned back on and correct temperature reached.

The condensation on the side freezers on the right side of the store is the tip off. If you go in SL most mornings, you'll see it.  Also the textures of some frozen meats, condensation on the inside of plastic tops of vendor food. Actually all of what Al Berca said. I realize I'm repeating his post.

22 hours ago, gringal said:

You got that right.  I did, in 2017, and am in too sorry a shape to crawl up those nasty stairs.

For example:

Kansas rancher, one of the few female pilots in World War II, dead at 96Meriem Lucille Roby Anderson lived a feisty, independent life until a few months ago when she suffered a delibitating fall. She was a member of the Women Airforce Service Pilots, an elite group of more than 1,000 women who flew aircraft during World War II.

Before her fall she probably could have kicked my butt.

Two things: the coolers and freezers are inspected every morning, and old items removed, while new items are placed. They are also cleaned. This happens before the public arrives. So yes, the doors are showing condensation. (Blame the staff if you want to blame someone, for being careless.)

Second: watch the delivery trucks. Many of them carry "frozen" (let's say partially-thawed) products in non-reefers, spend hours of travel time, and unload in the hot sun. This happens at pretty much every store. Mexicans don't really seem to care; these are the same people that had their beef delivered from open-air trucks with sides of cow hanging off, bouncing through the dusty streets, delivered from far-away places, during the hottest hours of the day for decades. And let's not forget: open-air markets in France and Italy still do exactly the same thing.

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

Drove by Pancho 's around noon and it looks as though the staircase on the right is being enlarged...with a railing.

It looks like it will be a ramp???  At least that's what it looked like to us, about an hour ago.  

51 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Two things: the coolers and freezers are inspected every morning, and old items removed, while new items are placed. They are also cleaned. This happens before the public arrives. So yes, the doors are showing condensation. (Blame the staff if you want to blame someone, for being careless.)

Second: watch the delivery trucks. Many of them carry "frozen" (let's say partially-thawed) products in non-reefers, spend hours of travel time, and unload in the hot sun. This happens at pretty much every store. Mexicans don't really seem to care; these are the same people that had their beef delivered from open-air trucks with sides of cow hanging off, bouncing through the dusty streets, delivered from far-away places, during the hottest hours of the day for decades. And let's not forget: open-air markets in France and Italy still do exactly the same thing.

I've seen the delivery truck for the butcher on the Ajijic plaza.  Enough said.

Archived