Chapala.com Webboard

details Pancho and Superlake

nothernewbie

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A poster in another forum visited the new store and was disappointed upon finding a much more limited selection of things than is found at Superlake.  So maybe it's not time to say "Goodbye Superlake" quite yet. Looks like there are some "growing pains" going on with Pancho's new enterprise.  I wish him well as time goes by.  He does know the business thoroughly.

2 hours ago, nothernewbie said:

And goodbye Super Lake."

I really see no reason to kick Superlake no matter who is the manager. SL is one of the top expat resources here. To me they are more important than the American Legion where I am a member and the LCS where I did not renew.

14 minutes ago, bmh said:

Amazing how small this community is.. who cares who the managers or owners are... If the store is a good one I'll go there , if not  I won´t.. it is that simple no need to have a personal campaign one way or the other.. 

I agree.  Maybe, in the spirit of the season, we could try for a little less bickering and more kindness.  I expect to be visiting all the food sources, regardless of who the owner is.

I dropped by Pancho's new store a few minutes ago. Yes it is much smaller than superlake. But it looks very nice and although they do not have all of their stocks in and shelves filled yet, they are making progress. What is there, is perfectly stocked. It looks like is it going to be a first class operation. I wish him the best of luck.

It will be nice to have another store in Ajijic to shop at.

And although Superlake and Pancho  made a great team, there is room for another store. I wish both Pancho and Superlake the best of luck as they learn to work independently of each other.

My shopping at Superlake this week resulted in a noticed 50 to 70 peso increase on about a dozen of our regular entertainment items. I wasn't surprised because they are not pantry staples, but still, that is a bit rich for a sudden increase.  We used to justify the prices because Superlake having the items meant we didn't have to travel to Costco.  2018 will see us at Costco instead.

With the new delivery services available, we never go to Costco. We let our fingers do the walking on our keyboard on Monday and it's delivered reliably on Wednesday.  Who wants to pay what is often a 30% markup at Superlake for Costco staples?  Superlake is good for things that just aren't available elsewhere and when the markup is too ridiculous, I remind myself that I may sort of want the item, but I surely don't need it.  You know...like nice paved streets without potholes.B)

I like SuperLake. If it's not up to  par since Pancho  left I  hope to see it back to higher standards soon. I  wish Pancho great success with his new store and expect good things when all the kinks are worked out.  Imagine  having two good general stores in town where we can find the usual and the special things we crave.

Lexy

2 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I really see no reason to kick Superlake no matter who is the manager. SL is one of the top expat resources here. To me they are more important than the American Legion where I am a member and the LCS where I did not renew.

Let me be perfectly clear. I posted an email from a vendor which was in quotes. AngusMactavish took one sentence out of context and attributed the thought to me. Fake news at it's finest. I have not interest in seeing harm to SuperLake and wish the best to Pancho.

35 minutes ago, nothernewbie said:

Let me be perfectly clear. I posted an email from a vendor which was in quotes. AngusMactavish took one sentence out of context and attributed the thought to me. Fake news at it's finest. I have not interest in seeing harm to SuperLake and wish the best to Pancho.

OK, I will not be fake news, so I will amend my post.

6 hours ago, nothernewbie said:

Just received this notice from one of the vendors at both Monday and Tuesday market; "

A new Pancho’s supermarket began next to El Bar Co!

And the new Friday food market also starts in El Bar Co!

Thanking you in advance! And goodbye Super Lake."

2 hours ago, solajijic said:

My shopping at Superlake this week resulted in a noticed 50 to 70 peso increase on about a dozen of our regular entertainment items. I wasn't surprised because they are not pantry staples, but still, that is a bit rich for a sudden increase.  We used to justify the prices because Superlake having the items meant we didn't have to travel to Costco.  2018 will see us at Costco instead.

What were the items?

2 hours ago, gringal said:

With the new delivery services available, we never go to Costco. We let our fingers do the walking on our keyboard on Monday and it's delivered reliably on Wednesday.  Who wants to pay what is often a 30% markup at Superlake for Costco staples?  Superlake is good for things that just aren't available elsewhere and when the markup is too ridiculous, I remind myself that I may sort of want the item, but I surely don't need it.  You know...like nice paved streets without potholes.B)

Prices are going up for everything.

I was so surprised to see all the shelves in there last Tuesday. Even more surprised when Sandra told me it was SuperLake! After seeing the sign today, the pieces all fell into place.

Being carless, and living in el Centro, I have completely selfish reasons for hoping this whole Pancho's thing works out. I guess it will depend on the selection vs things we need. Meeting some friends at El Barco this PM so will drop in and check out the store beforehand.

Wine - from $109 to 198 

cheeses - the big brie wheel for instance almost $200 now

nuts - stupid expensive in the big Costco containers but even the small cellophane packets they repackage are up there

melba toast - the brand I like almost doubled

so the items I purchase that are generally on the expensive side are more expensive

4 hours ago, El congrejo said:

How does available parking space compare between el barco and San Antonio location?

Parking at both places is the pits...also lets extend  that observation to the new doctors office next to Jara. When Telemex drive thro  is closed more congestion 

I wonder why mini malls with more parking do not seem to  work, cost of STORE place I guess. 

Archived