Chapala.com Webboard

Info on renewal of Mexican drivers license, please

Lexy

I need  to renew my Mex drivers license  in a few days and I'm not seeing any recent guidance  on my  search on this forum.

Can  I do it  in Chapala?  I'm driving a Mexican plated car. I did not get my emissions sticker this year. Will that be a problem? What do I need to bring?

If I have  to go   to Guadalajara,  I'll need a facilitator with a car (or to drive mine).  Any ideas?

What a bad time of the year to have to renew.

Lexy

Lexy, you don't have to own a car to have a driver's license so your question about the sticker isn't relevant.

No renewals in Chapala. Most of us go to Plaza Las Torres, 8 Julio and Lazaro Cardenas in GDL. Need originals and copy: current utility bill, curp #, permanente or temporal card, take your passport and a copy just in case, take your driver's license. If you have  DIF or INAPAM card, make a copy of it too as you will receive 50% discount. There is a bank in the mall to pay the fee or you can pay at local bank before you go.  Office on the 2nd floor, the guard will direct you to the proper line.  I suggest you arrive when they open, 8 :30 I think, whole thing will take around an hour.

I note that ibarra says "Most of us go to . . . ." Is it still possible to go to Ocotlan? In either case, will an Interpreter be needed? 

I remember talk of having a renewal clinic at LCS. Has anything ever come of that? That was one of the brightest ideas LCS has had in years. 

As a practical matter.....................the fine for driving with an expired license is probably so insignificant compared to the hassle and expense of trying to rush over there at the last minute that you might want to consider that. Also, after the New Year rush is over you can renew your license for exactly the same amount whether expired or not. Mine was 2 years expired (I had been using my Texas license) and they did not add a fine nor a nasty comment. They directed me to the front of the line and gave me the old codger discount without any card or even asking for it. Puerto Vallarta seems to be more laid back in all this type of stuff. Have only been stopped once, to make sure I was wearing a seatbelt and got an apology, have a nice day, etc. Lots of permanente folks with non-Mexican plates and I've never heard of anyone getting a smog inspection. Just another example of how everything here in Mexico works according to local tradition.  Viva Mexico.

Thanks, everyone.  I'm resigned to be driving with an expired  license after  Dec 20 and  hoping for no crappy  consequences. If my next expiration date is based on my upcoming renewal date,  then I  won't be  facing a renewal at Christmas/New Year.  All good.

Happy holidays,  all.

Lexy

On 12/14/2017 at 1:05 PM, Lexy said:

Thanks, everyone.  I'm resigned to be driving with an expired  license after  Dec 20 and  hoping for no crappy  consequences. If my next expiration date is based on my upcoming renewal date,  then I  won't be  facing a renewal at Christmas/New Year.  All good.

Happy holidays,  all.

Lexy

What about your Insurance coverage, is it valid?

Archived