Chapala.com Webboard

Salt water pool

cedros

Does anyone out there have a salt water pool-especially in the Raquet Club?  My salt water chlorinator is acting very odd. Rather than boring everyone with the details it might be better to PM. 

I think I have it figured out. If you have a salt water pool in the RC watch your salt level closely. Things have changed.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Kiko said:

PM works for me.  I have a salt water pool in Joco.

I think I sent you a PM. (PM seems a little strange now). 

7 hours ago, feewee said:

Hi cedros

i have "regular" pool but would like to covert it to salt water.  Did you do this? Any advice?

Yes, I did. I will think about what advice I may have.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:24 PM, feewee said:

Hi cedros

i have "regular" pool but would like to covert it to salt water.  Did you do this? Any advice?

Yes, I did that. Check the salt and TDS levels of the water that comes to your property first. I could check your water with my meter. There are other things to consider after that. 

Very straightforward process and well worth it for enjoyable swimming with less maintenance and more consistent and lower chloro levels in the water.    Many also like the "feel" of the water as well with the salt dissolved in it and find it easier on the eyes.

Get the right size system for your pool volume, start with a clean well maintained pool that is in balance, and be sure to use pool salt - which is non-iodized.

• 2 weeks later...

All you have to do is change the piping a bit to convert-not the pump. But you will also need a control panels to monitor the salt level. The control panel works with the T Cell (the part that splits salt in sodium and chlorine.

This shows the Aqua Rite cell and control panel;

http://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/pools/aquarite-i-cgaqri

I installed a Pentair IC40 chlorinator and power center paired with a Pentair variable speed high performance pump. I ordered the parts using Amazon US shipping to Guayabitos. Even with shipping and duty the cost was far less than buying the parts locally. 

The chlorinator is installed inline. To add one you'd just cut out a section of PVC, install shutoffs in order to bypass the chlorinator if it needs maintenance or replacement and it just works.

There's a little more maintenance in the rainy season when large amounts of rain throw off the chlorine and ph levels but during the dry season the maintenance has been nil. 

The water does feel better than a pool using chlorine tablets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DSLLH4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_1396.thumb.JPG.f9cbc6a4f4af2826fb79238538f31493.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Archived