Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
artsnob

Tuesday Market

Recommended Posts

Friends of mine went today and Deena was not there, they were told she is no longer there,, she has been with them since they started, has She gone elsewhere...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, artsnob said:

Friends of mine went today and Deena was not there, they were told she is no longer there,, she has been with them since they started, has She gone elsewhere...

 

Deena will no longer be at the Tuesday market.  She said she will be at the Monday market at Sunrise restaurant from now on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not surprised. The Tuesday market has become a zoo. Too many people and too many vendors. Like Monday much better plus the acoustics at Sunrise make it more pleasant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As my Momma used to say...you can't swing a cat in that place!  Not to mention the people that can't go to a table or out side to visit instead on blocking the aisles.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, nothing has changed since we first visited the Ajijic tiangus in 2001. Super Lake also, they think they're at a social function.

  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Haha, nothing has changed since we first visited the Ajijic tiangus in 2001. Super Lake also, they think they're at a social function.

Interesting observation, it also carries over to our local church, complete  disrespect for coming into the church...please leave your chit chat gossip outside 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Haha, nothing has changed since we first visited the Ajijic tiangus in 2001. Super Lake also, they think they're at a social function.

Except for the fact that I don't think anybody in this thread is talking about the Wednesday tianguis in Ajijic. So many markets, it get's confusing. And they're all social. I think they go this way:

Monday: San Antonio

Tuesday: La Huerta Evento, west Ajijic

Wednesday: Traditional Ajijic Tianguis on Revolución

 

 

  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget the one that started at Jasmine's off the plaza in Ajijic on Thursdays... too many now, and too much over-priced stuff aimed at gringos... by gringos.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Travis said:

Except for the fact that I don't think anybody in this thread is talking about the Wednesday tianguis in Ajijic. So many markets, it get's confusing. And they're all social. I think they go this way:

Monday: San Antonio

Tuesday: La Huerta Evento, west Ajijic

Wednesday: Traditional Ajijic Tianguis on Revolución

 

 

Agree, but people were talking about why some vendors are giving up at some of the markets. Too many "customers" are just there to see and be seen, not to buy anything.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Metuchenmama said:

The problem with the Tuesday market is that many vendors have the same products.  Vegetables and breads are paritcularly over represented.

Not really.  e.g. only one vendor sells sourdough bread,  several veggie vendors with very little overlap;  e.g. our vendor for beets is the only one, hierloom tomatoes, only one vendors, lamb, only one vendor, etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Particularly in high season, Tuesday market is an overcrowded gauntlet to run to get the few things we want.  Getting in and out in less than 15 minutes is our desired goal.  That's a "social" occasion?  Wow!  Just getting in the door when the bell rings feels like being part of a stampeding herd.  :rolleyes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

Kinda speaks to the popularity doesn't it?

Yes, but is it popular now due to the items you can purchase, or is it popular because it's become a social gathering place?  That's the question on some people's minds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't notice the social gathering.  I"m busy shopping for organic eggs, lamb, chicken, and beef as well as better veggies than I can get at SuperLake or Walmart.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gringal said:

  Just getting in the door when the bell rings feels like being part of a stampeding herd.  :rolleyes:

Great description!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Travis said:

Except for the fact that I don't think anybody in this thread is talking about the Wednesday tianguis in Ajijic. So many markets, it get's confusing. And they're all social. I think they go this way:

Monday: San Antonio

Tuesday: La Huerta Evento, west Ajijic

Wednesday: Traditional Ajijic Tianguis on Revolución

 

 

You missed the biggest Monday Tianguis in Chapala

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The huge Monday tianquis in Chapala also had the freshest produce and more economical prices than the Wednesday Ajijic tianguis.  More choices, too. I assume that is still the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gringal said:

Particularly in high season, Tuesday market is an overcrowded gauntlet to run to get the few things we want.  Getting in and out in less than 15 minutes is our desired goal.  That's a "social" occasion?  Wow!  Just getting in the door when the bell rings feels like being part of a stampeding herd.  :rolleyes:

Image result for cattle stampede pictures

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

H'm, can one assume the choice of perspective means nothing? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, El Saltos said:

The thread is about the Tuesday Farmers Market which has produce superior to either of the local tianguis!

I guess everyone has their opinion  about superior, the prices at the Tuesday market are for sure Superior 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, El Saltos said:

I don't notice the social gathering.  I"m busy shopping for organic eggs, lamb, chicken, and beef as well as better veggies than I can get at SuperLake or Walmart.

As far as I am concerned "organic" at these weekly events is just a scam to raise the prices of the same things that you can get at the local Tianguis at half the price. At Walmart or Superlake you have to spend a little time searching for the freshest fruits and vegetables but again the same products at a much lower price. If it makes you feel better believing the "organic" claims (what is the proof?) then go for it. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...