Chapala.com Webboard

American notary

Toadstool

It would be an invalid notarization, as a US Notary Public cannot operate outside of his home area; except for the consular official.   Use a Mexican Notario and be legal and not have to worry about the document being contested.

Yes, there are US expats in the area, who will take your money and wink. Avoid them. They know better!

Seems that online notary is legal after checking with a few state's Sec. Of State offices. Here is a service with all the answers: https://www.notarycam.com/legal/ From that site:

Can I use this if I’m not from Virginia?:

Yes, we have notarized documents for signers all over the country and the world.  Interstate recognition of notarial acts is well established. Here’s a link to the National Notary Association’s white paper on the topic. LINK: WHITE PAPER

In California, for example, it is found in CA Civil Code 1189 2(b) : “Any certificate of acknowledgment taken in another place shall be sufficient in this state if it is taken in accordance with the laws of the place where the acknowledgment is made.”

A U.S. notary operating in Mexico (other than in the U.S. consular office which is of course jurisdictionally the U.S.A.) is not taking the acknowledgment in accordance with the laws of the place where the acknowledgment is made.  The White Paper is concerned with notary acknowledgements taking place within the United States and relies upon the constitutional principle of full faith and credit between the states within the United States.   Notary acknowledgments are typically required for real property transaction or for documents controlling real property transactions.   Title companies and title attorneys (depending on the state where the transaction is taking place) who take their responsibilities seriously will require an expat to either return to the U.S. to sign the document or obtain notary from the nearest consular office.  

Why those lying crooks you infer said:

Can I use this if I’m not from Virginia?:

Yes, we have notarized documents for signers all over the country and the world.

Obviously one needs not to be in a US state or territory, but dang if I can't trust a US company.

If the acknowledgement is made by a Mexican Notario, it is being done in Mexico, in accordance with the laws of Mexico, and is legal in the USA, under treaty. 

Please read more carefully, Pulelehua.

7 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

"Yes, we have notarized documents for signers all over the country and the world."

That they have notarized them doesn't necessarily mean they were accepted.

Yes, very true. When we signed up for a mail forwarding service in the US, the provider insisted our signatures be notarized, to protect them from any problems with the USPS. I pointed out that by treaty they had to accept a Mexican Notario. They politely responded that we would have to return to the US or visit the Consulate for the notary service or they would not provide us with an address. Not snotty but very firmly let us know their terms of service. Fortunately we were going back to Houston anyway and had our good friend do it for us. You can stand on principle but the other guy that you want something from has the hammer, as they say.

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

"Yes, we have notarized documents for signers all over the country and the world."

That they have notarized them doesn't necessarily mean they were accepted.

Exactly. If you are going to use a notary from some other area you need to check with the party who wants the notarized document to see if they will accept it.

5 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Does anyone know how quickly you can get a notarization at the US Consulate in Guadalajara?  For something that can't wait for their monthly visit to lakeside.

They would know here;

01 33 8526 1444
US Consulate General in Guadalajara, Phone

1 hour ago, Floradude said:

A document notarized by a Mexican Notary is legal by treaty in the US;  however I doubt if many places would accept it.

I've used a Notario several time for signature verification on business transactions in the USA without difficulty.  Never failure to accept it.

Archived