Chapala.com Webboard

New Pemex W of Ajijic doesn't accept credit cards

geeser

The new Pemex just past Los Sabinos and the old Japanese vivero says yes if you ask if they accept credit cards. They fill your tank and then run your card which comes back not approved. I asked before I filled up and did not have enough cash to pay in full. I went back to talk to the jefe. He said there was nothing he could do. I went into the Oxxo and bought a few things on the same credit card and it was of course approved. He asked the woman working the cash register to add enough to cover the balance of gasoline bill. She handed me back cash and I gave it to the jefe with what I had to pay the bill. I told him it was not the card was it? He finally said it was their system and no non-mexican cards were approved. I asked why not just tell people they didn't accept them and he said he couldn't do that because of the owner. I supposed if they had to siphon our a tank or two this might change! 

This Pemex to the west should have a sign posted  "no aceptamos tarjetas de crédito extranjeras"

I went there and asked about my card and the attendant told me no US cards are accepted. I got him to run the card anyway and of course it was rejected. I paid cash and won't get my cashback from the bank. I have found that it is the case with cards at two Pemex stations in Tamaulipas, both new ones.

I have had a few attempts to use my card number. My US bank simply takes them off my account at my notification online. I doubt any Mexican credit card company would be so cooperative. The one and a half percent cashback easily compensates me for my trouble. I though would not use any debit card anywhere here except at a bank's ATM.

20 minutes ago, Aquaponicsman said:

I think Angus is correct. I have heard Pemex will not accept non-Mexican debit cards or credit cards.

I have used my US card and was always accepted at Pemex except for the three I sited.

Many Mexican businesses do not accept American credit cards for one simple reason: The card owner can "challenge" any transaction for any reason and that puts a hold on the funds. A real hassle for a Mexican to go through the dispute process with an American bank.  Bars and restaurants are the biggest targets, especially when tourists have too much to drink and then try to insist they couldn't possibly have run up that big a bill. It's the old "for every action there is a reaction" principle. Perhaps Pemex is aware some of the employees short people on their gas purchase and don't want any disputes after the fact, LOL.

Archived