Chapala.com Webboard

USA cell phone in Mexico

doberwoman

How to get here in Mexico a cell phone with a number from USA. I need to receive here, messages from USA institutions or stores. Usually they can not send messages to a mexican number and some of them do not want to send info to an email or other...     TIA.   Merry Xmas.. :)

Get a Skype account and a Skype number in the area you want it to be in. It can get SMS and calls that you can have answered in your voice to voice mail. You can also try it monthly until you are satisfied it will work for you.

7 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

Get Magic Jack.. I have used it for 10 years now.. Download the MJ  app for your cell phone.

By now I only have a mexican number cell....   THanks.

When you get MJ you acquire a US phone number using the area code of your choice. You plug the device into a router and the other end into a telephone and you have US dial tone.

MJ has an app for Apple/Android that can be installed and initialized to the US phone number. When you get a MJ call the cell phone as well as the phone attached to the router will ring. You can also send and receive texts using the MJ app using the same US phone number.

49 minutes ago, Syver117 said:

I have Magic Jack App on my IPhone.  It cost me $10.00 a year for my own phone number.  Friends can call, message my phone.  Also call US 800 numbers, banks etc.  They see a US number.  Works great!

Thanks.  Can I get this Magic Jack in Ajijic? 

52 minutes ago, addtocart said:

Just tried that, turns out you can only use it in the US or Canada.

Fun to try out different things. I tried yesterday to get a Google Voice number and couldn't do it. They want to send you a text with a code to enter on your computer. Since we have a US number on a VOIP service, Ooma, I opted to receive the code via a phone call as you can do. All was well and I actually remembered the six digit number long enough to enter it   and then nothing happened. I started the process over and selected the same Voice number and then entered my phone number and got the message that "that number will not work for this service". So they have the ability to detect a VOIP number and don't want us using it to obtain their Voice service. Since I do have a VPN on my router that "places" me in New Jersey I figured I could use it here in Mexico but can't get the number to test out my theory. Someone who has a Google Voice number could test the theory if you have a VPN on your phone at least to "place" you in the US. Download the Google Voice app to your phone and connect your VPN and see if it works. Sounds like MJ is the way to go if you want to be able to receive a text from the US on your Mexican cell using a US phone number. Whew, complicated but fun to give things a try.

We like our Ooma but they do not support texting. How do I know? I just yesterday had a "chat session" with them and was told they don't and have no plans to do so. More providers of services seem to be using texting a code to your cell phone as the basis of granting you an account. Trying to cancel out being able to use a VPN perhaps? Who knows. Example, Philo a new streaming video service that has 30 something TV channels for $16/ Mo. Of course limited to US residents only but with my VPN I could watch but no way to receive their texted code. Does Skype support texting?

3 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

Purchase an International Cell phone from a company such as:  http://www.onesimcard.com/international-cell-phones/  they include USA and Foreign phone numbers.  Simple.

Excellent, gracias!

I have heard that T-Mobile has the best international rates., but you have to purchase it in the USA while there. (I could be wrong, but that is what I believe.)

I use Vonage, so kids can call dialing a USA number and it rings here.

I use Skype for video calls and some SMS messages, as Vonage does not give me SMS options, of which I am aware.

I use Telcell Amigo Plana 150, which gives me unlimited calling (and SMS) to all of Mexico, all of the USA and all of Canada for $150 pesos/mo.

T-Mobile $100 USD/mo

Vonage - $32 USD/mo (unlimited use)

Telcell - $7.82 USD/mo (unlimited use)

TelMex/Infinitum $31.22 USD/mo unlimited calls and @ 20MB Down and 3MB Up

image.png.7beb59c130e50f66a47db75077222b0f.png

5 hours ago, El Saltos said:

Purchase an International Cell phone from a company such as:  http://www.onesimcard.com/international-cell-phones/  they include USA and Foreign phone numbers.  Simple.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I think I will get this one from Amazon.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FTNANIQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3BZPVUQ39BSYZ&psc=1

Only $14.99 and comes with $8 credit and no monthly charge to keep the US number as long as you use it at least once a year. Perfect for my phone that has space for 2 Sims and gives anyone in the US a US number to text to.

5 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

That item does not ship to Mexico.

I know, I have everything shipped to US Global Mail in Houston and then they consolidate it and Estafeta US sends it here to PV. We have a large box that just arrived in Guadalajara today so will be delivered here tomorrow. Lots of goodies that don't ship to Mexico including a new Roku and some tech goodies from Fry's Electronics and a used Galaxy Note cellphone I won on eBay for $77.. Mariana at Estafeta USA has never said no to anything we wanted to ship and her price includes insurance and any duty that might be charged. They ship by ground through Nuevo Laredo and Customs there has never denied anything. So far, so good, mas tarde quien sabe.

Archived