Chapala.com Webboard

Visiting Chapala Area

TheWho

Hello everyone.

First time post.

I've been following your very informative web board for the past year; very colorful and entertaining. 

Even though I am not near retirement age, I enjoy reading the different Web board topics regarding the area for future reference.

I've was introduced to this area back in 2001 while visiting Puerto Vallarta by a retired couple living in your area; definitely a place I would be interested in retiring when the time comes.

I have visited the area twice in the past two years and have enjoyed visiting different places (restaurants, malecones, etc) in between Ajijic, Chapala, and Mezcala; mainly in the company of adults.

This year my family and I are planning to visit the area from Dec 26-Dec 30. I will be travelling with 2 adults, an 8 and 10 year old.

We speak Spanish fluently, will be staying in a local Ajijic hotel, and have a vehicle to travel in.

I was hoping to hear your thoughts on fun places to visit with the kids.

Thank you in advance

Sincerely,

TheWHo

Houston, Texas

Our grand-kids now 7 & 9 come for that same week between Christmas and New Years every year - oh yeah - and their parents come too.

We always enjoy the malecon in both Ajijic and Chapala - very different but have lots of fun at both of them. The Chapala malecon is a lot busier with more stuff going on. And while the Ajijic malecon is a little smaller there are always lots of families with kids out enjoying the area.

If you feel like driving into Guadalajara the zoo is great They love it and have talked about it several times since last year. We have been to Tlaquepaque with them - they enjoyed it since they can walk around but not all that much for kids to do. The parents probably enjoy it more than the kids.

We usually go to the Ajijic tiangues on Wednesday. Again not a lot for the kids to do but they seem to enjoy it. Nothing like that where they live NOB!

Their dad likes to play golf so he usually goes to the course in San Antonio (Chula Vista) and the boys walk the course with him. He has also played the Vista del Lago course (other side of Chapala) and the boys like it because they have carts at that course.

A couple of restaurants have open areas where the kids can get up from the table without being disruptive to other guests or the waiters - Yves's. Avocado Club, Peacock Garden and Nueva Posada. Not really playground areas but at least some open space where they can move around a little. The boys look forward to seeing the donkeys at Yves's - as well as the peacocks and chickens at Peacock Garden. Sometimes we go Avocado Club while the dad plays golf - with or without the boys - and then he can walk across the street to join us when he is finished.

And of course horseback riding - in La Floresta and possibly a couple of other places. 

Hope that helps. Our grand-kids don't seem to be bored and still look forward to coming every year. We are enjoying it while we can since they will be teenagers before too long and will be bored with anything we suggest. Have fun!

REC,

The Guadalajara zoo and horseback riding sounds like fun.

Planning to visit the malecones and the Wednesday tiangues.

Had not even thought about were to feed the kids; thanks for mentioning the passive restaurants.

Thank you for the information.

TheWho

22 hours ago, REC said:

Our grand-kids now 7 & 9 come for that same week between Christmas and New Years every year - oh yeah - and their parents come too.

We always enjoy the malecon in both Ajijic and Chapala - very different but have lots of fun at both of them. The Chapala malecon is a lot busier with more stuff going on. And while the Ajijic malecon is a little smaller there are always lots of families with kids out enjoying the area.

If you feel like driving into Guadalajara the zoo is great They love it and have talked about it several times since last year. We have been to Tlaquepaque with them - they enjoyed it since they can walk around but not all that much for kids to do. The parents probably enjoy it more than the kids.

We usually go to the Ajijic tiangues on Wednesday. Again not a lot for the kids to do but they seem to enjoy it. Nothing like that where they live NOB!

Their dad likes to play golf so he usually goes to the course in San Antonio (Chula Vista) and the boys walk the course with him. He has also played the Vista del Lago course (other side of Chapala) and the boys like it because they have carts at that course.

A couple of restaurants have open areas where the kids can get up from the table without being disruptive to other guests or the waiters - Yves's. Avocado Club, Peacock Garden and Nueva Posada. Not really playground areas but at least some open space where they can move around a little. The boys look forward to seeing the donkeys at Yves's - as well as the peacocks and chickens at Peacock Garden. Sometimes we go Avocado Club while the dad plays golf - with or without the boys - and then he can walk across the street to join us when he is finished.

And of course horseback riding - in La Floresta and possibly a couple of other places. 

Hope that helps. Our grand-kids don't seem to be bored and still look forward to coming every year. We are enjoying it while we can since they will be teenagers before too long and will be bored with anything we suggest. Have fun!

Once again thank you REC for the mentioned suggestions.

By the way, does anyone know of an Arts and Craft studio for children around the area, where I can take my kids so they can do some craft projects like Paint-a Pot Pottery, Tie-Dye Tile Art, Canvas Painting, etc.?

Thanks,

Who

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

A few weeks, I stated I would be visiting the Ajijic area. 

I'm here with my family but unfortunately my 8 year daughter has had an allergic reaction to something which is causing her to rash up.

Yesterday, Wed 27th, we took her Dr. Jose Chavez Villalobs on Colon St., near Ajijic Plaza in between barber shop and washeteria. Was referred to him by a local and there was a line of mothers with their children when I got there.

Doctor prescribed some allergy, fever, and antibiotic medications which we picked up at Walmart and started administering.

Looked like rash was cleaning up early Thursday day but by this evening, she broke out again and she said her ankle and knuckles hurt.

So we continued with her medication this evening and plan to visit her doctor again plus probably visit Ajijic Clinic Friday morning.

Any clinic or doctor recommendations that specialize with children?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

TheWho

Kool user name! 

Don't drink the water.  Just kidding.

Where to eat?  Now were I in Mexico with two kids in tow I'd consider the fact Mexicans love sugar and salt, difficult to avoid.  And the fact the Mexican mentality is one that won't let them waste food, get my drift?.  It isn't like in my country where you'll see dumpsters full of throw-aways piled up behind restaurants.  When you find the food you like stay with it.  If nobody is getting sick don't forget that.

Driving:  There is the danger.

Biology:  Mexicans and foreign folks who have been here for years have an immunity.  Me, I get sick every time I go home and eat fast food.

I personally would prefer my children to learn as much as possible from the experience.  Do activities that aren't the same as they've done back home.  

Good you're fluent.  That'll make a difference.  

Can't help you with the Ajijic scene, never been there.

Just a day late and a dollar short with that response.

Unfortunately, TheWho, every recommendation for doctors on this board is received with both plaudits and skepticism, as everyone has a story, both good and bad. You might try a local clinic. In Ajijic on the highway Clinica Ajijic #33 at the corner of Javier Mina (mountain side), Dr. Rodriguez has seen it all, and no appt is necessary.

Dr. Juan Lastra is also an excellent diagnostician, at least in my experience. He is in Ajijic at Contitucion 75, one half-block east of Aldama (which has the Farmacia Guadalajara on the corner of the highway). 376-766-1740

A very good and reliable doctor is unfortunately way out in Jocotepec: Dra. Teresa Morelos, 387-763-1088. Office at Morelos Oriente 149, in central Jocotepec.

If my post immediately brings out deniers for each of these, so be it. As I said, everyone has a story. And I really cannot tell you who is best at what.

48 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Unfortunately, TheWho, every recommendation for doctors on this board is received with both plaudits and skepticism, as everyone has a story, both good and bad. You might try a local clinic. In Ajijic on the highway Clinica Ajijic #33 at the corner of Javier Mina (mountain side), Dr. Rodriguez has seen it all, and no appt is necessary.

Dr. Juan Lastra is also an excellent diagnostician, at least in my experience. He is in Ajijic at Contitucion 75, one half-block east of Aldama (which has the Farmacia Guadalajara on the corner of the highway). 376-766-1740

A very good and reliable doctor is unfortunately way out in Jocotepec: Dra. Teresa Morelos, 387-763-1088. Office at Morelos Oriente 149, in central Jocotepec.

If my post immediately brings out deniers for each of these, so be it. As I said, everyone has a story. And I really cannot tell you who is best at what.

I will have to agree about Dr. Rodriguez but yes will not agree with the other 2, sorry.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

My grandfather used to use that expression; day late dollar short.  Were he alive today he'd be about 150.

Yes, the medical.  There's always a risk on web boards to over-state the obvious as we don't know the person.  

I've learned to form a map in my mind for "all" contingencies.  There's a Green Cross in my ville but they keep banker's hours.  So the nearest aid station of any worth is 25 K.  I'm a careful kind of guy.

Given there is a mosquito colony near there due to the proximity of lake might be a concern.  It all depends on how fixed you are over the well being of the children. 

But the odds are in your favor.  Have a good time! 

To All,

Happy New Year!!!!

Thank you all for your recommendations and comments.

I did revisit Dr. Jose Chavez Villalobos on Colon St., near Ajijic Plaza, and he adjusted my daughter's medication. Within the day, swelling and rash started to subside; we are all doing well and back in Houston.

What I did learn, while calling around for medical advice/pediatrician, is that most area doctors and clinics are geared for adults/retirees.

We'll try visiting the Chapala area again this year between April and July, hopefully with no issues.

Sincerely,

TheWho

3 hours ago, TheWho said:

To All,

Happy New Year!!!!

Thank you all for your recommendations and comments.

I did revisit Dr. Jose Chavez Villalobos on Colon St., near Ajijic Plaza, and he adjusted my daughter's medication. Within the day, swelling and rash started to subside; we are all doing well and back in Houston.

What I did learn, while calling around for medical advice/pediatrician, is that most area doctors and clinics are geared for adults/retirees.

We'll try visiting the Chapala area again this year between April and July, hopefully with no issues.

Sincerely,

TheWho

Dr. Oscar Ibarra in Chapala is a Pediatrician but he also looks after some of us elders that are going through our second childhoods.

Thank you ned small and lakeside7 for the information.

I recall Dr. Jose Chavez Villalobos on Colon St mentioning Dr. Oscar Ibarra in Chapala if my daughter's situation worsened.

I will definitely make a note regarding pediatricians for my next trip.

Sincerely,

TheWho

I got a chuckle over the statement about most doctors in the area being geared toward elders. Noticed the number of kids running around all over the area?  What do you suppose their parents do when they get sick?  They probably take them to their own G.P. who is familiar with the local bugs and likely allergies.:rolleyes:

Archived