Chapala.com Webboard

Derek Turford

16 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

Elegante, for sure!   To me Armando's is depressing.

Same here on Armando's, which is like being transported to the fifties.  Haven't tried Elegante.  I heard that the chairs are not  comfortable.  I like comfort with my romance.  :rolleyes:

Armando has class, excellent food, unobtrusive service, fine table settings, romantic atmosphere and sometimes a pleasant serenade on your special occasion.  Prices are moderate and the surroundings are suitable for romantic conversation with soft background music.

57 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Why the 50's, and better yet, why depressing? A fine meal, elegantly served with tableside caesar salad and flambé is depressing?

If  one misses tableside Caesar, Gosha's now offers it with dinner, along with excellent food choices including salmon and "real" lobster tails.  If it weren't cold in the patio, that would be my recommendation.  They may have heaters now, but I don't know. 

Armando's decor is dated as can be, which is why I called it "fifties".  "Elegant" is not a word I would use to describe it.  "Tacky", yes.

30 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Armando has class, excellent food, unobtrusive service, fine table settings, romantic atmosphere and sometimes a pleasant serenade on your special occasion.  Prices are moderate and the surroundings are suitable for romantic conversation with soft background music.

Lets face it....Armando it is not a hip place with the "take action crowd"..... it's just an old fashion casual elegance which some people are uncomfortable with. Even the term "romantic" is subjective. Someone might think that take a girl to fashion mall is romantic.

Very difficult to select a restaurant or clothing or house or anything else for a stranger ....if one does not know the person who is asking. personally.

Maybe selecting Armando shows our age.:ph34r: It is definitely not "hip"

Yes, folks my age would definitely enjoy Armando‘s, as we grew up in the 50s and had our first children at the end of that decade.  Times were different then, and moving to Chapala reminded us of those times, in many ways.

So be it......Asi es.

• 1 month later...

Went back for an actual Anniversary dinner on Saturday. Yes, the walls leave something to be desired; it could use an update. BUT the lighting is low and soothing, so the surroundings are not that noticeable. The front area, which is a boxed-in patio, is excellent in wood and dark shades.

We sat a table away from the fireplace (nice and warm and not melting). Armando's nephew is a key server there these days, and his skills are excellent. Unobtrusive, and everything done correctly; nothing forgotten, even fresh silverware returned to the place settings after the delicious Caesar salad whipped up in front of us.

I have never been a proponent of the steaks there, but I ordered the mushroom steak, and it was tender, cooked perfectly, and delicious. Creamy clam chowder, served first along with our freshly-baked and buttery croissants, was excellent. I couldn't help but be impressed more and more as the meal went on. No wonder I keep going back for special occasions.

It's not "cheap", but for what we get, I am comfortable with the prices. $535 before tip with limonadas, Caesar salad and soup, and two main courses. I would not, however, go for the $650 each upcoming Valentine's special, because that is a little dear for me.

Those are sentiments similar to our experiences, for many years, dining at Armando‘s for any special occasion, and whenever we had guests from abroad & wanted to enjoy conversation.

I am glad to hear that the food and service continue to be as good as ever.

Archived