Chapala.com Webboard

TelMex Cancels Phone Service

tomgates

Yesterday I tried to make a call and no dial tone, only a message in Spanish that I made out that I had not paid the latest bill.  I have it automatically billed to one of my US credit cards and checked and it had been paid on Nov 24. I called the TelMex English number and they straightened it out. I suspect that back in October I had another mystery charge of $150 on the bill and went into the office and they put a credit on my account so the the November bill was lower than normal. That's the only thing I can figure out as this is the first time in almost 12 years. That English number is 01-800-368-0500.

Lol. I think a more accurate description is "BS charge", because it sure ain't fake. If we were back "home", this would have been picked up on immediately by consumer groups and the Federal government would already have passed a motion to quash "opt-out" charges. Of course, they would not have applied any financial penalties for what is clearly theft.

My wife went into TelMex today regarding the same sort of charge. They told her it was some kind of hacking and would reverse the charge. While she was waiting to be served she onerheard the clerk tell another man the ex@ct same story. Pays to question the bill. 

This is a great new addition to their "box of deplorable excuses" over here at our local TelMex office. Just think: while I can't find specific numbers, research shows that TelMex has about 95% of all landlines in all Latin American countries. That's millions and millions of people. The repercussions  of a "hack" that actually got into their billing system would be stupendous; insurmountable. Further, no "hacker" in his right mind would then blatantly add a charge that is visible to every employee and customer who handles a TelMex bill.

No, this is clearnly an arrangement between TelMex and the companies doing this billing. Trouble is, is it actually worth it to look the TelMex employee in the eye and say "BULLS**T"?

Yes it is worth it, if you know the person working there and you say it with a smile. But I sure as heck would not say it to a stranger who was not a friend or friendly acquaintance..  All I can say is that in the 21 years I have been here, I have kind of sort of learned street Spanish and can get away with saying this in street Spanish to those whom I have dealt with over the years and who know me, and know I am kidding around with them when they deserve it.

Archived